Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

, there are a couple of quite interesting movements such as a GWR 'Hall' loco from Banbury or Reading on the York - Bournemouth West fish train - why would fish be brought to a seaside location from an inland one, I wonder!

Tony

It was because the local fishermen could not catch enough fish for all the seaside fish and chip shops and hotels and B&Bs during the holiday season. The same thing happened in Devon.

There was also a GWR train from Reading to Guilford normally Mogul hauled I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks - several helpful suggestions overnight!

The place names were fairly deliberately manufactured; as posted a long way back, Churminster Station was built for me by Geoff Taylor based upon scale plans for Honiton station, whilst Axminster station (& many others) was to a very similar pattern, both designed by Sir John Tite. Conversely, I didn't want anyone saying the track plan, or whatever, didn't look right & "Honxminster" sounded awful :O  - so it had to be fictitious.

Whilst I have not modelled a specific prototype, I do want the trains, the operations etc, to be prototypical and, having started from a position of relative ignorance,  as time passes by I am learning more and more about what prototypical means and looks like.

In terms of visiting trains and / or locos, it seems relatively easy (and prototypical) to mix some foreign wagons & vans into freight trains, but far less likely that this would happen with carriages, excepting where specific inter-regional trains, or local services that crossed boundaries, were concerned. In the same way, it seems more likely that foreign locos would arrive with specific trains to certain locations, and although they were occasionally retained for a few days, for the most part they would then work back with the balancing service.

I'd welcome further thoughts, but it looks like the number of 'foreign' locos I could justify will be tiny! - and it's not as if I don't have enough SR ones..... :no:

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony, I just found your blog whilst browsing somewhere else on RMweb, you have a nice layout, and I like your railway room!

Regarding ‘foreign’ stuff on the Southern region, there is probably more than you might imagine.

Parcels vans would run on through services, so you could have the odd Gresley teak or other ‘big 4’ full brakes tagged onto some Southern services.

Cross country workings, there were several that would have run through Dorset, I am aware of at least two that ran from LNER territory: a Glasgow-Southampton service ran up until the war, using a core of GWR or LNER stock but additional Southern coaches could be added as strengtheners between Oxford/Basingstoke and Southampton. There was also a Newcastle to Bournemouth service with LNER and Southern stock comprising alternate services, one running South as the other ran North. Therefore, Apple Green locomotives would be seen hauling Olive Green coaches on the Northern sections, and Southern loco’s hauling Teak coaches on the Southern section. Locomotives usually changed at Oxford. This service also ceased during WW2 but resumed in 1949 with a longer fixed formation service running the whole route, again alternating LNER and Southern rakes, these became predominantly BR Mk1 coaches by the mid-fifties. It was cut back to a York-Bournemouth service in 1956. Both these services ran via Basingstoke/Oxford and thence up North on the former GC mainline via Banbury.

Another source of more ‘pure’ foreign traffic would be football specials. Rarely modelled, for bigger matches a fleet of trains using older passenger stock would run onto foreign metals for a football fixture. For options, you might want to look up which teams Dorset clubs such as Bournemouth and Southampton might be playing in the years of your choice for ideas: even better if you can find photographic evidence.

But of course, if you are operating a fictitious location, then fictitious services can also run, with all sorts of interesting inter-regional formations!

Phil.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for these further suggestions Phil.

I do have a couple of inter-regional parcels trains that include 'foreign' vans and full brakes, and in addition I have a "Sunny South Express" rake made up of LMS coaches - this ran pre-war from Liverpool Lime Street to Hastings with locos usually changed at Rugby.

I think what I am seeing here is that 'foreign' locos specifically, as opposed to 'foreign' stock would certainly be a rarity, with most inter-regional services changes locos just before or just after the regional boundaries, so the need for 'foreign' locos looks very thin, or non-existent!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

A good day today!

Two parcels arrived and both of them will help to shorten the "missing" SR locos list.

First to arrive was the completed model of DS74, put together by Chris Phillips from a Judith Edge kit and shown correctly here on a 3rd rail electrified section of the layout:

SJPP816015102180816.jpg.708379c1772eecb860598df60a2cb6d6.jpg

Having discussed on a separate thread what colour the loco should be and whether it carried any markings, this is about the closest we could get to what was discovered - aside that is from any weathering which will follow in due course.

Here she is again, having been shunted onto the shed yard (and away from the 3rd rail!) by the other tiny loco in the fleet, DS1169, the Ruston Hornsby 48DS, which just so happens to be in matching livery!:

SJPP816015202180816.jpg.ffe527c32fa589af68b1ac6cf5c3dfbb.jpg

The second delivery was a parcel from Shapeways, containing a new 3D print of the body for the ex-LBSCR E6-X loco which has been developed by Javier L.:

SJPP816015302180816.jpg.cc1fb64685f4f0601892438af7038c7f.jpg

I am pretty pleased with this, having worked with Javier to get the dimensions as accurate as possible, and putting the body next to and E6, you can already see how much more massive are the boiler and tanks:

SJPP816015902180816.jpg.ea0369f6bcc6a06bda7e5de3eddc1989.jpg

I have already acquired a SE Finecast E6 chassis and will show progress on the build as things develop - this feels especially bold of me as I have never built a loco from a 3D print before, so what can possibly go wrong??? :O

SJPP816015802180816.jpg.861e8b24ec6dc302912838d37617c5e6.jpg

You can find the E6-X body on Shapeways at: https://www.shapeways.com/product/THJXGGPGS/lbscr-e6-x-oo-cabless-v-1?optionId=65967414

Javier also has the two dome version available (no connection).

I had mentioned Javier's efforts on the E5-X previously but during our dialogue we uncovered a couple of issues with that model and so I am working with him to get that body right before we move on to something else from my list! Of which, more later.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

All looking fantastic; I saw the electric shunter on the builder's website (often find myself on there for inspiration) and I thought it looked glorious, made me lament not having third rail included in my layout plan!

And that E6 is far too tempting, when the student finance comes in I think I may well consider buying one...

- Alex

Thanks Alex

I agree, a lot of good stuff on Chris Phillips' website - and rather a lot of his SR stuff seems to have ended up on my layout!

I'll post new of progress with the E6-X as it comes along; it is an unusual prototype - there weren't too many of them.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have been working with Mike Gascoigne to make some scenic progress, prior to making a start on the chassis for the E6-X print; Mike has used DAS modelling clay to make this great dry stone wall around a card former, and I feel that it sets off the barns on the opposite side of the main road extremely well:

1567522888_SJP2018-08-2217-39-16(BRadius8Smoothing4)02180812.jpg.d26aef64db6d2ccc940c32160c0656c6.jpg

Unfortunately I have got a couple of the back-scene panels out at the moment, plus the area just to the right has yet to be tackled, but these shots give a good idea as to how this area leads into the centre of Churminster itself:

2057197433_SJP2018-08-2217-49-32(BRadius8Smoothing4)02180812.jpg.3acca37b4addf79f674a0a20c2f23e5c.jpg

Ballasting of the Churminster Junction area in front of the signal box is also in hand, of which more in a later post!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I spent a most enjoyable day yesterday with weathering expert Mick Bonwick, whilst he attempted to coach some weathering and airbrush skills into me!

Here are the results of some of my efforts; first Hattons recent, excellent and diminutive P class, No.1555:

SJPP824002202180824.jpg.41dcf8fdc9e0a57de829b60b4507353e.jpg

SJPP824000702180824.jpg.16920a40f3cf436f340a5d360c28cbcd.jpg

Secondly, a pair of Hornby Bulleid spam-cans, No.21C163 '229 Squadron':

SJPP824001102180824.jpg.08b08360899debad8bdbc369d439cab1.jpg

and No.21C148 'Crediton'

SJPP824000802180824.jpg.9dd7890dfd287980013d8d617659d32a.jpg

and finally, a pair of Hornby "Schools" - the lightly weathered No.900 'Eton':

SJPP824001002180824.jpg.89e64cf59840042ed9a5cfe3658115ec.jpg

and then a slightly grubbier No.932 'Blundells':

SJPP824001802180824.jpg.ba2cee1702784124454cef6741d87386.jpg

A most enjoyable and very productive day - thanks Mick!

Now all I have to do is to work through the rest of the fleet...................

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

For a break from scenery (and before my diversion to weathering) I was attempting to set up a realistic looking Atlantic Coast Express rake - and in the process realised that I was short of a few Maunsell brake composites - you can never have enough for a proper ACE !

I recalled that I had some old unmade Kirk Maunsell kits in a drawer and so I set out to make some - although in the process I discovered that only one of them was a brake composite, but never mind.

I won't bore people with the whole construction saga, but having made a few of these before, it was suggested to me that I should use aluminium sheet to reinforce the floor pan of these coaches as they are otherwise a bit flexible and can take on the shape of a banana!

The metal is cut to the same shape as the floor and then glued to the top side of it with contact adhesive:

SJPDSC0864902121018.jpg.a32385f59c378f1c9827fbee3ef4594e.jpg

This forms a strong 'sandwich' which is unlikely to bend and around which the coach can be constructed as a separate box:

SJPDSC0865002121018.jpg.f39514d59875a235907c452864e758f4.jpg

I replaced the Kirk roof vents with cast metal ones:

SJPDSC0865202121018.jpg.b98cadadfd85f79807c55400d74c7887.jpg

The coach interior can then be constructed on the floor which will be removable:

SJPDSC0865802121018.jpg.387ad736f6029d58ed79ceeccc6fa4be.jpg

The only down side of adding the metal floors is that the interior partitions and seats have to be cut down by a couple of millimetres to allow for the thickness of the metal.

This is where I had got to with two coaches by the end of the day:

SJPP824002502180824.jpg.6feb69f1cfd650bd7bef963892cbe6f3.jpg

The interiors remain to be finished and painted, whilst the exterior will also be sprayed prior to glazing, transfers etc.

In the meantime I shall still have to buy a couple more brake composites!

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

For a break from scenery (and before my diversion to weathering) I was attempting to set up a realistic looking Atlantic Coast Express rake - and in the process realised that I was short of a few Maunsell brake composites - you can never have enough for a proper ACE !

I recalled that I had some old unmade Kirk Maunsell kits in a drawer and so I set out to make some - although in the process I discovered that only one of them was a brake composite, but never mind.

I won't bore people with the whole construction saga, but having made a few of these before, it was suggested to me that I should use aluminium sheet to reinforce the floor pan of these coaches as they are otherwise a bit flexible and can take on the shape of a banana!

The metal is cut to the same shape as the floor and then glued to the top side of it with contact adhesive:

attachicon.gifSJPDSC0864902121018.jpg

This forms a strong 'sandwich' which is unlikely to bend and around which the coach can be constructed as a separate box:

attachicon.gifSJPDSC0865002121018.jpg

I replaced the Kirk roof vents with cast metal ones:

attachicon.gifSJPDSC0865202121018.jpg

The coach interior can then be constructed on the floor which will be removable:

attachicon.gifSJPDSC0865802121018.jpg

The only down side of adding the metal floors is that the interior partitions and seats have to be cut down by a couple of millimetres to allow for the thickness of the metal.

This is where I had got to with two coaches by the end of the day:

attachicon.gifSJPP824002502180824.jpg

The interiors remain to be finished and painted, whilst the exterior will also be sprayed prior to glazing, transfers etc.

In the meantime I shall still have to buy a couple more brake composites!

Tony

Looking good. I like that idea for the floor. I will have to try that on some of my Gresley versions which sometimes suffer from the same problem.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Looking good. I like that idea for the floor. I will have to try that on some of my Gresley versions which sometimes suffer from the same problem.

Andy

If you can't get aluminium, printed circuit board should work instead.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get a coat of paint on the Maunsell brake comp today, but plenty still to do; I sprayed the sides and brush-painted the ends, underframe and interior

SJPP904000302180904.jpg.db7ca4f9cc9c415061dd12b09da1e191.jpg

I still have to get some gloss on there to take the transfers, spray the roof, pick out door handles, etc, matt varnish, add corridors, and glaze!

SJPP904000502180904.jpg.084f0e19bc9e1e8e8ab453f37df1b59c.jpg

I have also acquired some additional Hornby Maunsell brakes and so the ACE should soon be complete - I will have to limit it to about 10 coaches due to fiddle yard constraints, but at least 6 of those will be brake compos.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

My better half is a very keen gardener but currently she is sadly too unwell to do what she enjoys; so when last week I heard her say "I'd really like to do some gardening" I thought that I ought to help out.

She had previously designed and constructed the Churminster Station Master's garden, and so I duly provided her with all the materials that might be needed, plus templates for two vacant semi-detached garden plots, and she was off!

Here is what she delivered:

SJPP908000302180908.jpg.dddbf865a0f4469f81c67c61449b7da6.jpg

They look pretty impressive to me!

SJPP908000402180908.jpg.9a0d93aa7073284d305b06cf44171b20.jpg

Here is where they sit in the local surroundings - just opposite Churminster Parish Church:

SJPP908001002180908.jpg.85985e1fda85e2c6df4cc5395ffd5030.jpg

Meanwhile anotheor loco has been through the weathering works; it's Bulleid Q1 no.C8, which is normally resident at the front of the Kent Coalfields coal train:

SJPP907001602180907.jpg.318e4289a531024cbb04e8dce356e3b7.jpg

I think I am beginning to get the hang of this weathering business:

SJPP907001302180907.jpg.a87fe60289b0fcf8664203befdd43a26.jpg

SJPP907002002180907.jpg.dbec1e3592b40aba0054f08fa42e62b9.jpg

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

My better half is a very keen gardener but currently she is sadly too unwell to do what she enjoys; so when last week I heard her say "I'd really like to do some gardening" I thought that I ought to help out.

She had previously designed and constructed the Churminster Station Master's garden, and so I duly provided her with all the materials that might be needed, plus templates for two vacant semi-detached garden plots, and she was off!

Here is what she delivered:

attachicon.gifSJPP908000302180908.jpg

They look pretty impressive to me!

attachicon.gifSJPP908000402180908.jpg

Here is where they sit in the local surroundings - just opposite Churminster Parish Church:

attachicon.gifSJPP908001002180908.jpg

Meanwhile anotheor loco has been through the weathering works; it's Bulleid Q1 no.C8, which is normally resident at the front of the Kent Coalfields coal train:

attachicon.gifSJPP907001602180907.jpg

attachicon.gifSJPP907001302180907.jpg

I think I am beginning to get the hang of this weathering business:

attachicon.gifSJPP907002002180907.jpg

Tony

Tony,

Fantastic gardens. I do like some veg, although I wish my allotment caulis looked like that! Bravo Rebecca. I subcontract mine to my daughter who has taken to producing them for the club layout as well!

I love the filthy Q1, it definitely looks the part. I pity the fireman who has to shift those lumps of coal!

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

Fantastic gardens. I do like some veg, although I wish my allotment caulis looked like that! Bravo Rebecca. I subcontract mine to my daughter who has taken to producing them for the club layout as well!

I love the filthy Q1, it definitely looks the part. I pity the fireman who has to shift those lumps of coal!

Andy

Andy

I have seen your daughter's work on LB - excellent!

I think you are right on the coal, there are a couple of lumps that would kill a scale fireman!

I must break them down.

Best wishes

Tony

• RMweb Gold

What a team the two of you make! Pretty darned good, you two.  :friends:

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

It’s been some time since I’ve posted progress with this, but I have finally got round to sorting it out in the last couple of days. I think I’ve sorted the boiler position such that it sits low enough in the frames and the cab now looks right (to me).

I’ve been having having some problems getting it to run smoothly because of a whole series of short circuits between the drivers and the frame. I’ve had to move the chassis back in the body by 0.5mm and file away some if the rear inside lip of the frame, but there still an occasional short on the inside of the front splashes which I think will need more filing and then a smear of araldite.

post-19760-0-50851100-1537018722_thumb.jpeg

post-19760-0-03819300-1537018736_thumb.jpeg

post-19760-0-34841900-1537018782_thumb.jpeg

post-19760-0-29826000-1537018800_thumb.jpeg

post-19760-0-19071700-1537018813_thumb.jpeg

The boiler is just tack soldered on for now as I’m sure it will be coming off a few more times. So don’t worry about the blobby soldering.

I’ve more or less reached the end of the parts you gave me apart from a couple of small details. Do you have a cab roof and the tender coupling from the Hornby T9?

Comments welcome from all.

Andy

• Like 8