Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• RMweb Gold
On 22/09/2021 at 23:07, Jack P said:

Those locos all look the business, the U especially. 

How would you compare the Kitbuilt I3 to the OO works I3? 

Interesting question Jack, and back in January I covered their relative haulage ability at that time:

Now that it is fixed, I think the SEF model will easily outhaul the OO works versions and cope with the Sunny South Express, but on a broader basis, neither model is up to what I perceive as being 'modern RTR standards':

SJPP116000102210116.jpg.cb02cef5d30fc73c94ae6a33b61550b9.jpg

Whilst both have cast bodies, so are heavy, and equally are pretty good representations of the overall body shape, but the buffers on the SEF model (2091) look a bit chunky, whilst the lettering on the OO Works model (2023) looks a bit heavy. The OO Works version seems to have sharper, less rounded corners, and a skinnier chimney than I am seeing on prototype images, but it also has a modern coreless motor which is quieter but not necessarily more powerful (it won't pull the Sunny South Express for example).

SJPP116000802210116.jpg.08987406deebe32ed8fecc156752e3d0.jpg

SJPP116000302210116.jpg.0a34cd69e452fc846119c826844b0a24.jpg

So for me it is a very close thing, and with No.2091 now having the edge on hauling capability, I think it is that one which will be on the front of the SSE from now on.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 15

• 4 weeks later...

That's nice Tony.

As it happens, I've just received back from the casters the lost-wax castings for the 7mm versions of the C3 and its B2X tender. The 7mm etches for the tender footplate and internal chassis should also be back from PPD very soon. The tender tank and toolboxes are Hi-Res 3D prints but I might get them done by CMA-CSL in resin if I release it as a kit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

First off, Arun Sharma has been working for some time on a kit of parts for the LB&SCR C3 loco & tender which is one of those on my 'Missing List'; during this time it became apparent that the C3 tenders had been exchanged during the 1930's for tenders from older, & by then scrapped, B2X locos. Arun delivered the loco parts a little while ago, and then in the last couple of weeks he has produced the parts for the B2X tender - so now both have been despatched to my chosen builder to await their turn in his build queue

The tender saga regarding C3 and B2X is rather more complex than the above suggests.  The C3 were built with 3,112 gallon tenders, weighing 37½ tons.  The B2X conversions originally retained the tenders they had as B2's, with a capacity of only 2,420 gallons and weighing 32t 13cwt, but they had received additional well tanks which increased the capacity to 2,985 gallons. By 1914 it had become apparent that the C3's were not exactly brilliant performers and were allocated tasks which did not require such a large tender, and by 1919 the whole class had swapped tenders with 10 of the B2X.  After grouping, as the B2X were withdrawn, 3 of the old C3 tenders were swapped back to C3's 303, 308 and 309, in 1930, 1937 and 1932 respectively.

So, from 1906 to around 1916, the C3's hauled their larger tenders; from various dates around 1916 they were coupled to the smaller ex-B2X tenders, and from around 1932, three of them re-acquired their original larger tenders, seven presumably going to scrap in the fifties pulling the older ex-B2X tenders.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick Holliday said:

The tender saga regarding C3 and B2X is rather more complex than the above suggests.  The C3 were built with 3,112 gallon tenders, weighing 37½ tons.  The B2X conversions originally retained the tenders they had as B2's, with a capacity of only 2,420 gallons and weighing 32t 13cwt, but they had received additional well tanks which increased the capacity to 2,985 gallons. By 1914 it had become apparent that the C3's were not exactly brilliant performers and were allocated tasks which did not require such a large tender, and by 1919 the whole class had swapped tenders with 10 of the B2X.  After grouping, as the B2X were withdrawn, 3 of the old C3 tenders were swapped back to C3's 303, 308 and 309, in 1930, 1937 and 1932 respectively.

So, from 1906 to around 1916, the C3's hauled their larger tenders; from various dates around 1916 they were coupled to the smaller ex-B2X tenders, and from around 1932, three of them re-acquired their original larger tenders, seven presumably going to scrap in the fifties pulling the older ex-B2X tenders.

I'd better be careful what number I choose!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A very productive visit by Giles over the last couple of days made for good progress!

First we finished off the CCTV installation started further up this page, by adding the remaining camers and illuminating the darker nooks & crannies with LED strips; the latter will prevent the cameras switching to night mode and emitting infra-red light which would be likely to interfere with the numerous IRDOT detectors around the layout.

SJPPB10000802211110.jpg.5b11e25329e74eefb8be5d4e90f14ce9.jpg

This is now what the operator sees at the main control console (the untidy wiring was never designed to be seen on the big screen but is unlikely to be re-layed!), so there will be little excuse for not knowing what is happening or whether a train is moving according to instructions.

The CCTV control box has recording capability but I can't for the life of me think why I would want to replay a particular train movement!

With this job completed we turned our attention to the Faller Road system - the running track for which has been in place since very early on. The route loops around Churminster Market Square and then runs the full length of the room / layout before descending to a turning circle hidden beneath RAF Charmy Bottom.

SJPPB10000102211110.jpg.aca077025c94de69351dc758b8edd067.jpg

So this was our starting point, and we first fitted the space with our last remaining camera so that the operator will be able to see the status of the turning circle.

SJPPB10000202211110.jpg.9a638ad83d56769a919dee0eff7dc957.jpg

We then removed the turning circle (which is cut from 6mm ply) and fitted it with side "safety barriers" made from plasticard off-cuts - although no vehicle so far has ever managed to fall off! - plus 4 Faller 'Parking Stop' devices and 4 miniature IR detectors (one detector only shown here):

SJPPB10000302211110.jpg.8cadd1e20de3e683193c3a6c1daab81a.jpg

Now re-installed, this set up will facilitate the running of up to 4 road vehicles in turn, along the roadway and back, with fully automated control being achieved via an Arduino and a bank of relays linked to both the detectors and the electro-magnetic coils within the Faller devices:

SJPPB10000402211110.jpg.2c58e4ab76371278a85ae04c658dd141.jpg

We managed to complete and fully test the installation, with only some refinement of the Arduino program left to be completed, however, as the eagle-eyed will have noticed, one problem remains - which is that Faller only make HO vehicles of faily modern vintage, and so whilst I can run the system, there is a significant amount of work to do in converting vehicles to my 1938 - 48 era of choice!  I'd welcome hearing about any experiences ffrom others having done this!

Finally - the road turning circle as seen from the Control Console:

SJPPB10000602211110.jpg.b018f8a6cdbd04069071be8cf1dc4afb.jpg

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

I think the answer is yes!

I'm delighted that you are still willing to take it on. :clapping:

There is a box out there marked "S11" which is promising - I'll check the contents and report back, so that if there is anything missing I can source it.

Will get back to you and then work out how I can get things to you.

Best wishes & have a great Christmas!

Tony

• Like 2

Fantastic update Tony, lots done and lots more in the works.

I'm very keen to get my hands on one of those kits of C3 parts!

Were you aware that PDK are working on an S11 kit? Probably less likely to be around before the one Andy's offered to work on though!

Happy holidays to you, I hope all is well on your side of the world!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jack P said:

Fantastic update Tony, lots done and lots more in the works.

I'm very keen to get my hands on one of those kits of C3 parts!

Were you aware that PDK are working on an S11 kit? Probably less likely to be around before the one Andy's offered to work on though!

Happy holidays to you, I hope all is well on your side of the world!

Hi Jack

Thanks, and no I wasn't but I shall keep an eye out.

Are you aware of an L12 kit from Terry Page? See in the link below:

https://timhalesblog.blogspot.com/2021/10/return-of-l12.html

I am well so far......have a great Christmas!

Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not normally precise about numbers - usually I represent 3 or more as "several", but before continuing the review of 2021, I thought I'd just throw in a few interesting stats - well they're interesting to me! :crazy:

I will get to the C &SM control panels in due course but following a quick count up, they utilise (approximately):

140 toggle switches

190 push button switches

225 LED's

Helping to control the layout are (approximately):

120 IR detectors

60 Relays

24 DCC Concepts lever switches

13 Gaugemaster controllers

I have not been able to get an accurate number for points and point motors, whilst estimating the total length or wire used is completely beyond me - but it is all done on the "2 wire" basis - 2 wires to everything!

I must need therapy! :rofl:

Tony

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Merry Christmas and a happy and peaceful new year, Tony.
It has been a pleasure reading your posts this year.
Regards,
Chris.

Chris

Thanks, very kind of you.

Happy Christmas to you and yours.

Tony

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Tony,

Seasons greetings to you and yours.

Steve Hewitt has done a marvellous job on those signals - you lucky man!

The whole layout and stock is wonderful to see coming together so well. I’ve much enjoyed following along this past year and look forward to seeing what happens in the future.

Cheers,

John 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Needed to spend last evening sitting in a hotel room, so what better way to spend my time than considering my railway modelling priorities for 2022!

Here they are - no pictures as I haven't done them yet! As suggested,I reserve the right to move to "Plan B" at any time:

Loco Fleet:

1. Further reduce the "Missing List" from 9 to 6, plus confirm a solution for all of those that then remain. It seems likely that those that might get crossed off in 2022 will come from the C3, the C14, the E5X, or the S11.

2. Whilst I have built loco kits myself, this not my forte, nor my preferred activity, and since my long-term preferred builder & painter Chris Phillips has retired whilst I still have a number of un-built kits in stock (none of which will have any impact on the "Missing List"), I need to identify a reliable loco builder / painter to take his place - all suggestions and recommendations received with thanks - perhaps DM me?

3. I missed my own 2021 weathering target, and so dealing with a significant number of locos has to be a priority; the 35% of fleet target set and missed last year does not seem unreasonable.

Rolling Stock:

1. As with locos, the weathering of stock - and particularly complete trains - just has to be a priority; these can take a consideable time and so perhaps 1 train every 2 months - 6 in all - would be a reasonable target. On the other hand, and bearing in mind that there are storage roads for 85 trains on the layout, this could mean that it will take more than 10 years to finish the job!

2. I am getting fussier about accuracy within my passenger rakes - probably excessively influenced by Andy Sparkes and Tony Wright in particular - and I am aware of one or two issues that need resolving, so a second priority will be to work through the various trains that are rostered, and as a minimum, to plan aout what needs to be added, subtracted, or changed.

3. I still want to spend time developing my continental, ferry van train - untouched in 2021.

Other stuff:

1. Top priority must be to install and interlock at least the majority of Steve Hewitt's wonderful signals - but I'll need to finish some scenic work first!

2. The remaining backscenes for Stowe Magna must be installed and then the scenic work in front of those must be completed. The second scenic area requiring attention is the deep cutting beneath Charmy Bottom airfield.

3. The layout requires better lighting to facilitate better picture taking; I am especially impressed by what @KNP has done at Little Muddle and so I shall need to study his efforts in more detail.

That should be plenty - in fact way to much!

Tony

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1