Waggon und Maschinenbau railbus

JZ

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread - I remember hearing about the Heljan W&M railbus at Warley last year and am very excited that the model's on its way (and more importantly that I won't have to scratchbubild one!). Of all the models I never thought would be produced in RTR form...

Let's not forget the 43 years of sterling service that the two railbuses have put in on the KWVR - much, much longer than they spent in BR operation - and likewise for those on the NNR. Four of the five were preserved, which might perhaps say something about the popularity and/or reliability of these railbuses compared with the other types.

Dibber - thanks for the description of the model, I'm looking forward to the photos in Model Rail.

Cheers,

Will

Just found this thread - I remember hearing about the Heljan W&M railbus at Warley last year and am very excited that the model's on its way (and more importantly that I won't have to scratchbubild one!). Of all the models I never thought would be produced in RTR form...

Let's not forget the 43 years of sterling service that the two railbuses have put in on the KWVR - much, much longer than they spent in BR operation - and likewise for those on the NNR. Four of the five were preserved, which might perhaps say something about the popularity and/or reliability of these railbuses compared with the other types.

Dibber - thanks for the description of the model, I'm looking forward to the photos in Model Rail.

Cheers,

Will

'Not sure they were any more reliable than any of the others, a programme to replace the less than satisfactory Buessing engines with AEC A220 units was initiated at a fairly early stage. In the event, only two were done (both survived) before the axe fell on them.

Hattons have it for £88 and due in Feb. Wonder if that includes the VAT rise....

Yes, the VAT is quoted as included £13.11, (@ 17.5%) so sounds like a pre-order would be a good move with Hattons usual guarantee on pre-order prices.

Oh and there is a (small) photo of the "grey" model in Jan RM pg74

and must admit surprise and disappointment that there have been no photos posted of the preserved ones on this thread.

Um, why

Well I guess I'm getting so used to topics on RMWeb being replied to by posts that generously include photos of the prototype especially if something is in preservation.

Despite Google's world encompassing answer to everything it is still not quite the same and you do have to filter out some of the less useful stuff. Still, I guess if I could be more determined bothered interested I could have looked it up as well - but thanks for the search link anyway.

I rather like the look of this model and have one on pre-order - despite my normal reluctance of things RTR. Still, it will be the first for well over 12 months.

Really good shots, dmustu. In it's original livery too, I believe. Does (did) that shade of green have an official name?

It will now be very interesting to see how detailed the interior of the Heljan model will be, especially with such a good example to work from................

• 3 weeks later...

just looking ath the Hattons website they list two versions with the speed whiskers.

8700 Railbus E79960 in early light green with speed whiskers.

8701 Railbus E79962 in dark green with speed whiskers

When did they carry these two verions of this livery? Were they all delivered in the light green? If so when were they repainted?

Would welcome comments, just want to make sure I order the right one.

Best Wishes

David

As far as I can recall, all W&M railbuses were delivered to Cambridge in the lighter green, which I believe was the then standard MU green. I can remember a similar shade on early Met-Camm and Derby dmu's at the time. Repaints were into the later standard darker green (not the same as loco green), as portrayed on the Bachmann Cravens. I can certainly remember the different liveries; what does stand out is the standard of repaints, unlike when for instance green locos/mu's went into rail blue, not following the style of the vehicles at all and with features just overpainted.

• 2 weeks later...

New list price is £115.00 for the single Railbus, so at 20% off this is £92.00, this seems dear to me as the new REALTRACK models two car Class 144 should be around £110, this is for a 2 Car Unit with operational 'Constant' non DCC lighting.

I've been assisting Howes/Heljan as much as I can with railbus information. I think it's unlikely that the WMDs which went to Buxton would have got M prefixes. As far as I can tell none of the cars that went late to Scotland (ACs and Park Royals)had their prefixes changed. There are pictures of PRs in Scotland still with M on the side and certainly AC Cars W79976 still has its W prefixes visible without any sign that they were ever altered.

I believe the Heljan model announced with an M prefix will, in fact, have the 'E'. However, I did suggest that a bit of modellers licence might allow them to put Buxton etc in the blind boxes even though its unlikely that the blinds got changed. If you look at pictures of the ACs running in Cornwall, they still show the Kemble destinations or nothing at all. Lots of pictures of railbuses in Scotland show them running with plain white - no blind at all - but I think it would be disappointing if Heljan chose not to put anything in the destination box.

CHRIS LEIGH

In the Foxline Publishing book "Railways around Buxton" (ISBN 1-870119-01-0) there are three pictures of the W&M railbuses at Buxton. Two are dated 26 July, 1966, the other one simply says c1967. The author gives the numbers of the vehicles as 79961 and 79964. It is very difficult to tell what the prefix is, but from looking very carefully at the pictures under a good light I would suggest that 79964 at least had an E prefix.

The destination blinds do however appear to have been changed. One of the pictures has too much glare on the glass to read the sign, but the other clearly shows Millers Dale, but not on one line, the two words are on separate lines with Millers left justified and Dale right justified. The letters do appear to be all the same size. Presumably trying to print it all on one line would have result in rather poor legibility.

I wonder how much time was spent on that? It would surely have been pretty obvious to any intending passengers where the thing would be going, not that there were that many by the time these vehicles were introduced.

I wonder if the "delivered" light shade of green was W&M's nearest shade to BR a bit like the Workington blue that was put onto the 140 by Leyland as the nearest match to BR blue.

According to Brain Haresnape fleet survey, the early Railcars where delivered in Malachite green livery.

dibber25,

"As far as I can tell none of the cars that went late to Scotland (ACs and Park Royals)had their prefixes changed."

There are plenty of pictures of SC prefixed railbuses in Scotland. The Waggon und Maschinenbau railbuses did not ever get to Scotland but the other types did. Brian Morrison's "British Rail DMUs & Diesel Railcars"is good for "SC" pictures.

Alan

As far as I can tell none of the cars that went late to Scotland (ACs and Park Royals)had their prefixes changed.

There are plenty of pictures of SC prefixed railbuses in Scotland. The Waggon und Maschinenbau railbuses did not ever get to Scotland but the other types did. Brian Morrison's "British Rail DMUs & Diesel Railcars"is good for "SC" pictures.

That's not what Chris is saying though. If you read his post properly, he refers to those that 'went late', having been delivered when new to either the WR or LMR. As some examples of both types were also delivered new to Scotland, it's hardly surprising there are plenty of pictures of them with Sc prefixes.

New list price is £115.00 for the single Railbus, so at 20% off this is £92.00, this seems dear to me as the new REALTRACK models two car Class 144 should be around £110, this is for a 2 Car Unit with operational 'Constant' non DCC lighting.

I suppose when you compare the total cost of buying, assembling, detailing, painting, interior, motorising one of your DC kits single units Charlie then it puts HJ prices into perspective.

• Like 1

That's not what Chris is saying though. If you read his post properly, he refers to those that 'went late', having been delivered when new to either the WR or LMR. As some examples of both types were also delivered new to Scotland, it's hardly surprising there are plenty of pictures of them with Sc prefixes.

But, for example, all the Park Royals "went late" from LMR to Scotland (in 1960) and then had SC numbers.

Alan