Waggon und Maschinenbau railbus

JZ

Just bought a super book with the best collection of photos & data on the BR railbuses:

'BR 1st generation diesel railbuses' by Evan Green-Hughes, pub Ian Allen and from Booklaw it was £15.30.

Will anyone do a 7mm scale kit for the AC cars bus? It was the shortest and with parallel sides probably the most straightforward to model. Just remember the originals on the Beith branch before it closed in 1962...

There was a kit by an outfit (I think) called Red Barn. It wasn't particularly accurate as the maker had made the same mistake as you seem to have done, if by 'parallel' you mean 'flat'. The sides are not flat and the character of the model really depends on getting them right. They are flat to the waistband but slope inwards above the waist. Similarly, the ends slope slightly backwards above the waist band. The result is that the curved glasses in the corner windows are very slightly conical. I did get myself some 7mm:1ft etchings produced some years ago but I've no idea whether I could get any more at a reasonable price. I only had side/end unit, half floor and a few detail bits etched. The chassis and roof would need to be scratch-built if I was able to get more etches done.

CHRIS LEIGH (one-time owner of W79976)

(Once the OO version comes out - I intend to suggest to Heljan that they do it in 'O'.)

Edited by dibber25

Note it's a 21 pin connection. I would guess space is very limited.

Neal

I never noticed that! I have an 8 pin sound decoder here all programmed and ready to go :(

Mine is on it way :)

Had to have it as the destinatioon codes are perfect for my Witham station layout

Edited by Essex2Visuvesi

Picked mine up from T4U this morning. Only had a quick glance over it yet with a Mkl eyeball, not even placed it on the track. Wow! It has that something, to me at least, that the NRM Deltic gave out when I first saw that. Crisp mouldings, superb finish - and the weight!. I already have a Silver Fox one that I built, and was very pleased with that a few years back, but this Heljan one gives a good impression of the real thing. I haven't measured it up though, or even compared it with a photo, so its all subjective. One glaring omission to me though, is the lack of curtains and driver/passengers inside, at least I'll have something to do to it!

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Not sure why they picked on that one (perhaps as its their best seller), but anyone hesitating over 8701 E79962 in dark green with whiskers, it appears that Hattons is putting the price up from £88 to £110 at midnight. No change in price shown for the others.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

Not sure why they picked on that one, but anyone hestitating over 8701 E79962 in dark green with whiskers, it appears that Hattons is putting the price up from £88 to £110 at midnight. No change in price shown for the others.

I would guess that one is selling much faster than the others.

I would guess that one is selling much faster than the others.

Yes, some shops have sold out of that version already. I ordered one yesterday and an E79963 (small yellow panels, as ran the last service on the Saffron Walden branch) from Cheltenham Model Centre who are showing all varities in stock at a good price.

Howes and Hattons both sold out of 8701 - E79962 now

As an aside, I'm going to fit mine with sound. Im thinking of using the CT Elektronik decoder (My local shop in Finland stocks them) with the VT98 sound pack, tweaked a little to anglicise it

What are peoples thoughts?

Also has anyone got on on the track yet and can report on running qualities?

Edited by Essex2Visuvesi

• RMweb Gold

Received E79962 and E79963 yesterday. E79963 trundles round the test track quite well but E79962 is, by comparison a very bad runner - judders along very, very, very slowly, has some light bleed into the front passenger compartment and suffers from flickering headlights. Replacement for E79962 already on it's way to me thanks to Andy at Kent Garden Rail.

Keith

Out of stock and discontinued state Hattons for the dark green with whiskers version.

Fortunately I read this on the bottom of the packing note to say that mine is about to be handed over to Royal Mail.

Must have got one of the last ones in stock.

Get 'em where you can and move fast if you want one. All the other varieties are increasing in price shortly at Hattons.

Fastest ever sell out of a new model ?

Bernard

Mine was here when I got back from work. I must say I am impressed with the weight. And it looks the bogs dollocks, but I have never seen one in the flesh. Now I need a decoder to give it a run. And some crew and pax.

According to British Rail Fleet Survey No8 DMU's First Generation.

Original Colour Malachite Green, when overhauled rpainted in dark brunswick green.

Awaiting mine from the Liverpool box shifter.