Extracting a snapped drill bit

GWMark

This is a slight longshot, but has anybody got any bright ideas about how to extract a steel drill bit that has snapped inside a brass casting?

I was drilling a 0.5mm hole into a solid brass casting if a clack valve when the drill be snapped. Of course it snapped flush so there was no protruding end to get hold of. I'm trying to come up with a way to get the bit out since I need to solder a wire into the hole once drilled. Using another drill to try to drill out the first drill seems like a no-hoper, the casting is too small to do much with in terms of a second hole. Should I just give up and try to source another casting?

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Premium

This is a slight longshot, but has anybody got any bright ideas about how to extract a steel drill bit that has snapped inside a brass casting?

I was drilling a 0.5mm hole into a solid brass casting if a clack valve when the drill be snapped. Of course it snapped flush so there was no protruding end to get hold of. I'm trying to come up with a way to get the bit out since I need to solder a wire into the hole once drilled. Using another drill to try to drill out the first drill seems like a no-hoper, the casting is too small to do much with in terms of a second hole. Should I just give up and try to source another casting?

Thanks

Mark

Could you drill from the other side and knock it out (Possibly using the remains of the broken drill as a drift), filling the unwanted hole afterwards?

As you say trying to drill out a drill is not on as the metal is too hard, all you will do is wander off into the brass.

Keith

Thanks everybody, the Alum or using the expansion were the sorts of things I was hoping for. However I contacted High Level, the kit supplier, and Chris has helped me out. So I think I'll just with a replacement casting.

Thanks for the suggestions

Mark

Now you have got a replacement on the way maybe you could experiment with some of the extraction methods mentioned to see if they work, knowing that damaging the piece doesnt matter.

Of course finding the time might be a little more difficult!

Archived