WRMS 60 years Exhibition layout - Stanley

enginelane

Back scene painting coming on very well and platforms to be routed out for the new year. Christmas saw the arrival of a 1959 Thames Trader which is going to be used to recreate the rhubarb lorry. Part of a rhubarb field and forcing shed will be added as well as the missing house.

post-9435-0-83054500-1514288802.jpeg

post-9435-0-67172500-1514288813_thumb.jpeg

post-9435-0-43810100-1514288831_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Back scene painting coming on very well and platforms to be routed out for the new year. Christmas saw the arrival of a 1959 Thames Trader which is going to be used to recreate the rhubarb lorry. Part of a rhubarb field and forcing shed will be added as well as the missing house.

Don't forget a tail of stalks of rhubarb on the road that fell off the lorries and trailers. We used to pick loads up off the road when I was driving panda cars round Rothwell and Carlton. The farmers didn't ant it back and my landlady was always grateful for the Rhubarb.

Jamie

Don't forget a tail of stalks of rhubarb on the road that fell off the lorries and trailers. We used to pick loads up off the road when I was driving panda cars round Rothwell and Carlton. The farmers didn't ant it back and my landlady was always grateful for the Rhubarb.Jamie

Worked out need to roll out red flymo to 1mm to create stalks and pieces 8 mm in length. Yes looking at the lorry it seems gravity was the only thing that kept it in place

Aren't the sheds a bit wider than that. They always look very wide for their height.Jamie

It is to go up tight in the left hand corner of the layout with a field of rhubarb then coming towards the level crossing. I have used up bits from Willis scrapbox so can easily widen as necessary. Doors look like high enough to admit someone riding on a tractor without a cab. Images from the Martin Parr exhibition at the Hepworth Gallery earlier this year had a trailer with rhubarb crowns being processed inside a shed. Very proud to say kids I taught won awards in all the age groups they entered.

Looks like need a little red fergie to be around somewhere or where they still grey in 1959?

post-9435-0-53112400-1514445197.png

post-9435-0-67027800-1514445214.jpeg

post-9435-0-06930700-1514446241_thumb.jpeg

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 2

Rain stopped work outside so spent afternoon listening to the football and making a wider and lower forcing shed. I think I agree with Jamie that it sits better in its lower form. Need to test fit at the clubrooms

post-9435-0-24806000-1514829932_thumb.jpeg

post-9435-0-85411400-1514830028_thumb.jpeg

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rain stopped work outside so spent afternoon listening to the football and making a wider and lower forcing shed. I think I agree with Jamie that it sits better in its lower form. Need to test fit at the clubrooms

That captures the look of a 'forcing shed' much better. It's that width and lack of height that make them so distinctive. Looking good. Hope to see it in situ on Friday.

Jamie

Load has dried remarkably hard now the superglue has fully hardened. Just the small matter of touching up the ends of the rhubarb with some light pinkish white and a touch of light green at the top of the visible stalks. Looks like the iPod will be need recharging.

post-9435-0-99013100-1515105247_thumb.jpeg

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 1

Green and a light flesh colour added. Actually looks better when viewed further away. Will need a lighter green to grade out the stalk and staking not as neat as the real lorry!

Worked out it took 5 hours off and on to roll out the stalks and that one load consumed all the bunches I had created. Onto how to create the field next. Trying out the time honoured corrugated cardboard with one “ridge” squashed flat as images suggest wider spacing than normal ploughing to lift the crowns. 5 packets of rhubarb on order. The field will be as big as the plants will stretch!

post-9435-0-20292700-1515142480.jpeg

post-9435-0-06273000-1515142493_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Found some powdered clays which I think came from a trial pack at the Wigan Show 2016. USA forum viewers might recognise the plants as a few left in the box from the water edge scene from Menasha. I think they give a good representation of young rhubarb plants . This small area has used up 6 plants so a field could mean reaching for the iPod again!

post-9435-0-04138400-1515256721_thumb.jpeg

post-9435-0-68325500-1515256731_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like mayhave hit a snag with the rhubarb field as currently saying out of stock! Wonder what a cut field looks like!

Having a daughter in Germany has paid off! Rhubarb is available and she has just wiped out the Stock!

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 1