WRMS 60 years Exhibition layout - Stanley

enginelane

After no rhubarb was available in 4mm format yesterday saw 2 different lots arrive. Noch version, laser cut paper sold out in UK but daughter in Germany managed to track down 6 packs, - on the right and MonkBar Models of York managed to get hold of the Faller version, left. Faller is plastic with the stems being twisted plastic coated wire.

Rhubarb cameo scene can now progress!

Overall layout coming on with back scene hand painted using images of the real locations. Platforms still need routing out for the buildings but landscaping in hand. 3/4 view of a chapel to be built as is a very fine 3 storey building and then onto signal installation.

Stanley will be at the November Show

post-9435-0-62468000-1516955276_thumb.jpeg

post-9435-0-83073500-1516955287_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

With the annual Rhubarb Festival fast approaching this weekend then ideal time to work on the rhubarb farm cameo scene that will occupy the left hand of the layout working towards the level crossing. Having measured up then room for a forcing shed and enough plants to create at least part of a field. A track will lead off to the backscene where in real life a track came off a street just past the chapel.

Good old corrugated cardboard forming the field with TreeMendous soil powders added

post-9435-0-37532400-1519211769_thumb.jpeg

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Trial planting of rhubarb. Instructions suggest a pin to fix but it seems to make rhubarb lie too flat

I presume that you've used something like peco track pins and that the head is pushing the stalks down. Perhaps it might be worth cutting the heads off the pins and gluing the rest of the pin into the plant so that the head doesn't compress the stalks.

Jamie

I presume that you've used something like peco track pins and that the head is pushing the stalks down. Perhaps it might be worth cutting the heads off the pins and gluing the rest of the pin into the plant so that the head doesn't compress the stalks.Jamie

Yes I had a go at that, in the end made the hole slightly larger and so stalks now seem to come out of rather than sit on the surface of the soil.

70 plants are not going to go very far so I think I will be looking for O scale fallen leaves to make thecrest of the field as if it’s been cut

post-9435-0-05856600-1519218284.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Like the rhubarb  knew somebody who worked in the sheds hard work  ,will have to see this layout in the flesh some time great work.

It debut's at the Wakefield show in November which is our 60th show.

Jamie

Love the rhubarb. On Houghton Street, I cut each leaf from very thin shim brass and soldered the stem from copper wire. That sad it is 7mm and I only needed a square inch for the allotment.

That is commitment! Rolling out the oven baked clay to create the sticks of rhubarb on the lorry was enough for me!

Snow has finally fallen but opportunity to add more to the rhubarb cameo.

Need another bag of leaves to complete the last field. Light green rhubarb is from Faller. Twisted wire creates the stalks but they need to cut down to be “planted” - leaves then fall off! Planted up as younger plants so closer together. Used the wire cut offs as if remains of cut plants.

Found some rabbits and look for some figurescas on a tea break - Dart / Monty do a couple if I remember correctly. Rhubarb lorry will be Re positioned next to the level crossing.

post-9435-0-95153900-1519813577_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Snow has finally fallen but opportunity to add more to the rhubarb cameo.

Need another bag of leaves to complete the last field. Light green rhubarb is from Faller. Twisted wire creates the stalks but they need to cut down to be “planted” - leaves then fall off! Planted up as younger plants so closer together. Used the wire cut offs as if remains of cut plants.

Found some rabbits and look for some figurescas on a tea break - Dart / Monty do a couple if I remember correctly. Rhubarb lorry will be Re positioned next to the level crossing.

Just remember to have  a few stalks on the road behind the lorry.

It's looking great.

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst at the Ally Pally Show this weekend came across Busch rhubarb plants and thought would give them a go. Plastic formed requiring glueing and planting, those rhubarb fields are just getting bigger.

post-9435-0-36175000-1522046314_thumb.jpeg

post-9435-0-86436300-1522046957.jpeg

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 2

Rhubarb for breakfast. The plastic is quite soapy so need to allow the glue time to grab. The Busch plants do make into very tight plants.

Out of the three I think the Noch laser cut plants produce the most interesting of the three. The faller ones need leaves toning down and the twisted wire stalks are very long in comparison to the leaves. Cost wise the Noch ones are the most economical - but they are the ones you cannot get any more

post-9435-0-09160900-1522400039_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Before can complete the scenic area around the rhubarb fields a church and house need to be made so volunteered to produce. They will not be exact copies of the real buildings but hopefully capture the main features using materials from the spares box. The church is still there but when the layout set did not have the single storey extension on the front.

post-9435-0-77912400-1523100533_thumb.jpeg

post-9435-0-99093900-1523100549_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1