coachmann's 4mm loco & coach W.B.

coachmann

I hope Andy P is able to balance the two scales. I know I couldn't except in the business sense. In 0 gauge, fluted coupling rods are really fluted and have depth; they are not pressings or half-etched nickel silver representations., and every wagon is an individual model.

PS: Thanks to everyone for their good wishes.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

Healing process doing well today so I did a bit more on a Sidelines LMS D1899 Stanier corridor brake third. I formed the tumblehome last Wednesday night knowing I would be unable to do it after Thursdays op, so the first job today was soldering on the lost-wax brass guards duckets while the sides could be pressed down flat...

attachicon.gifWEB 7mm brake 1.jpg

Next move was to solder in all the handrails (except door handles) and door stops. I made a handy tool that doubles as a spacer for handles and drops over door stops so that they are all filed down to the same depth. Then the insides were ground flush ready to take droplights....

attachicon.gifWEB 7mm brake 2.jpg

Droplights added. The ones in this kit have the hinges attached.....

attachicon.gifWEB 7mm brake 3.jpg

Then the two ends were detailed and tacked to the floor pan.....

attachicon.gifWEB 7mm brake 4.jpg

Good to see you up and 'running' Larry, don't overdo it though......

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Healing process doing well today so I did a bit more on a Sidelines LMS D1899 Stanier corridor brake third. I formed the tumblehome last Wednesday night knowing I would be unable to do it after Thursdays op, so the first job today was soldering on the lost-wax brass guards duckets while the sides could be pressed down flat...

Droplights added. The ones in this kit have the hinges attached.....

attachicon.gifWEB 7mm brake 3.jpg

Glad to hear the opp went well.

Love the design of the droplights / door hinges on those 7mm coaches, now why cant 4mm manufacturers use a bit of clever design and apply that principle... 

I seem to remember having the same problem so will put this information to one side for when I tackle my nexy Sidelines coach, an LMS Period III Brake First.

Glad to see you on the road to recovery and showing us your work. A great stimulus for me to get cracking now I am back in France and my work bench. But my progress won't be as rapid!

Paul

Great Job Larry, what livery are you going for?

BR lined maroon Steve.  Anything still in LMS maroon was nostalgic when I were a lad, so you can imagine how nostalgic it was to see BR returning to the old livery in 1956. I can't paint too many in this livery as it would conflict with my modelling era of circa 1958. Nevertheless I want this L.M.Region train to look swish and modern...!

I was reading through your Ranelagh Road thread this afternoon and I'm rather envious of some of your steam locos.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

That will look superb Larry, I do like the maroon livery but it's nice to have some grubby blood & custard stock knocking about As I'm a few years later than you 61/63.

My locos are impressive and are a testament to the great builders & painters who are responsible for them.

• Like 1

Definitely not one for the layout as this LMS D1704A corridor brake composite is 4mm scale/00. It is the latest production coach.....I haven't come across one in anyone manufacturers lists. The wood matchboard ends and canvass roof with continuous rainstrips betray its origins as an early Period I coach. The sides were rebuilt  'Stanier' fashion in 1939. Flexible corridor connections arrived last weekend so I thought it was worth a photo or two now it is finished...

attachicon.gifWEB LMS D1704A 3.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB LMS D1704A 5.jpg

Have you thought about Sidelines' outwardly similar D1720A , which, IIRC is a conversion of a period 2 BCK?  I have one which was built and painted by Malcolm and it makes a nice variation in a rake of Staniers.  Really enjoying this, and your Oswestry thread.

Cheers,

Ray.

• 3 weeks later...

I retained an eye for lining widths etc on 4mm scale locos after retirement, but not 7mm for some reason. So I can at least scale off the Terrier when the times comes to strip and repaint the Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0 in lined black. Same with the 14XX, which won't be stripped and repainted until I've got my mits on a Dapol 64XX in lined green.

I retained an eye for lining widths etc on 4mm scale locos after retirement, but not 7mm for some reason. So I can at least scale off the Terrier when the times comes to strip and repaint the Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0 in lined black. Same with the 14XX, which won't be stripped and repainted until I've got my mits on a Dapol 64XX in lined green.

Really Coach: you don't need an excuse to buy things you fancy even if there is a side benefit......................... :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1

The Terrier will be sold once the Ivatt has been painted. It is the first plastic RTR steam outline loco I have bought and such extremely well detailed locos augur well for future of 0 gauge. 

Given how good the Dapol 0 Gauge Terrier is I'm glad I sold my three 7mm Terrier kits before it was announced!  It's a shame we don't have an equally good 00 version, rather than the Hornby hybrid which doesn't match any prototype combination of features.  Mind you that originated with Dapol yonks ago so shows how they've improved over the years.

Chris KT

With small and large Panniers due out next year plus large Prairie and 43XX, the future of 7mm looks exciting for at least a section of us. Even more so if the manufacturer blows the 43XX into a Manor! The latter has ended up the poor relation of GW 4-6-0's in 4mm and 7mm.

I'm currently stripping paint off of the 14XX, loads of it! Stinky old business but it'll be worth it.

• Like 4

The Terrier will be sold once the Ivatt has been painted. It is the first plastic RTR steam outline loco I have bought and such extremely well detailed locos augur well for future of 0 gauge. 

I'm equally pleased with their 08, great value and great model. The future of 'O' certainly is looking good.

• Like 1

Good point. Ow't else while theer at it?   :biggrin_mini2:  Now's the best time to do the necessary while it's in its brass state...

The dome is a bit undernourished, and the safety valve cover is a bit Marilyn Monroe, but there's not much one can do about those.

It would be nice to see a round transition between cab and roof:

post-133-0-06916100-1481835042.jpg

(the pipe coming down the side of the cab was I think only for autofitted locos)

and for autofitted locos, battery boxes and all the ATC gubbins under the headstocks

post-133-0-62050100-1481835067.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism