Derailment at Fletton Junction

• RMweb Premium

Was this yesterday afternoon?  I went past there about 1505 snd saw those locos plus a 47 in ScotRail blue stripe livery standing on the NVR outlet; didn't notice that they were derailed, though!  Were there originally more engines involved in the movement, and the train had been divided?  Real Time Trains showed a Fletton Jn.-Leicester train yesterday afternoon which at that time was being reported at Uffington, which surprised me as I had just seen the locos south of Peterborough!

I think it might have been, a colleague of mine went past this morning and they were still there. Those points were scheduled to be replaced in a few weeks - not due to condition I hasten to add but as part of a track realignment for higher speed. Very annoying if expensive repairs are required only to rip it all up again shortly!

Update:

Eye witness accounts say the cause was track spread. Occurred exactly over the demarcation line between Nene valley/Network rail maintenance responsibility, ie pretty much spread either side. Survey team saw the rear bogie of the 46 derail and the lookout which was in front of the train driver signalled him to stop, but he appeared to apply more power and dragged the 26 off too.

Update:

Eye witness accounts say the cause was track spread. Occurred exactly over the demarcation line between Nene valley/Network rail maintenance responsibility, ie pretty much spread either side. Survey team saw the rear bogie of the 46 derail and the lookout which was in front of the train driver signalled him to stop, but he appeared to apply more power and dragged the 26 off too.

What signal did the lookout give to the driver?

There are clearly defined signals that should be used in situations like this!

Quite agree but that's only one of the questions I'd be asking (especially in view of a certain set of initials which appeared in Talltim's post).

Oh I have many other questions, but I thought the one above was the most pertinent.

What signal did the lookout give to the driver?

There are clearly defined signals that should be used in situations like this!

Both arms raised above the head palms facing driver. (I did ask the question as it happens, although not to the person in question so it is not first hand information.)

However I don't think a driver would get away with an excuse for ignoring an obvious emergency stop signal on the grounds that it was not performed exactly as per the rule book and could therefore be ignored, especially as it was given by on site staff rather than just any old person waving a pair of red bloomers...

Both arms raised above the head palms facing driver. (I did ask the question as it happens, although not to the person in question so it is not first hand information.)

However I don't think a driver would get away with an excuse for ignoring an obvious emergency stop signal on the grounds that it was not performed exactly as per the rule book and could therefore be ignored, especially as it was given by on site staff rather than just any old person waving a pair of red bloomers...

'Anything waved violently is a signal to stop' - does that old rule (common on both sides of the Atlantic in various forms at one time) still exist? If not then it should!

• RMweb Gold

'Anything waved violently is a signal to stop' - does that old rule (common on both sides of the Atlantic in various forms at one time) still exist? If not then it should!

Actually in the BR 'black' Rule Book (Rule 50) it was ' (in the absence of a red light) any light waved violently'.  Waving arms stands a good chance of being confused with other handsignals and isn't on - end of.  The 'stop' handsignal is perfectly clear and absolutely explicit with no chance of being confused with any other handsignal - well not being confused by someone who is concentrating on what they're doing and is keeping a  proper lookout that is.  

(And, as an aside, I do wonder if DCR will now again be seeking to let an external audit contract or if they will continue to be frightened by the cost of having it done professionally?)

Both hands up above the head means stop, full stop!

If the driver has seen and ignored that then they are a complete <add expletive of choice>!

Its more 'any light' waved violently rather than 'anything'!

Its for when its dark and a red light is not available.

Edit-

The Stationmaster beat me to it, again!

Its more 'any light' waved violently rather than 'anything'!

Its for when its dark and a red light is not available.

Yes, and that's still the case, although the rules actually 'any light waved violently'

As for 'anything' though, just a few year ago, the Claypole crossing keeper sees on his CCTV, two youths at Bullpit Lane LC (Newark), leaning over the barrier waiving their jackets vigorously, and replaces the protecting signal against the approaching HST.

Still too late however for the emergency brake application to avoid it striking the pair of donkeys standing in the cess just beyond the crossing, which the youths had been attempting to remove from the line, before running clear when the barriers started coming down.

The three locos were still stabled in the siding just north of Peterborough station, adjacent to the Stamford lines, this morning. There was three orange-suited guys there, looking as though they were possibly inspecting them - maybe a fitness to run exam for them continuing their journey soon?

... and here in front of me is the Canadian Pacific Rule Book of 1909, where Rule 13 reads - in its entirety - Any object waved violently by anyone on or near the track is a signal to stop.

If we worked to that rule over here we wouldnt get anywhere because the 'veg' get a bit excited at times!

... and here in front of me is the Canadian Pacific Rule Book of 1909, where Rule 13 reads - in its entirety - Any object waved violently by anyone on or near the track is a signal to stop.

Unless Fletton Junction is a lot further away than I thought, I don't think that Rule would apply in this case.

Archived