Large Industrial Buildings

spackz

Hi all,

I'm currently building a 12' by 2.5' 00 gauge layout, 1960's steam transition era, i'm looking for kits to bash together to make an industrial back scene. The only kits i've found that are suitable are Walthers and DPM. Are there any manufacturers who do similiar large inustrial buildings for the UK market.

Cheers Paul

Unit Models do a range of semi-modular range of bits for low relief buildings that you might find useful. I've got some of their stuff waiting to be made up.

http://www.unitmodels.com/

Can't find them on the site right now but they do sides and various frontages and roof bits to make a combination building to suit your size.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I'm currently building a 12' by 2.5' 00 gauge layout, 1960's steam transition era, i'm looking for kits to bash together to make an industrial back scene. The only kits i've found that are suitable are Walthers and DPM. Are there any manufacturers who do similiar large inustrial buildings for the UK market.

Cheers Paul

As I do US HO I'm quite comfy with the US products you mention, which are "of an age" at least as much as "of a location" I feel, so can be plausibly British. Can't immediately find it, but in the last couple of days I've seen on here a huge factory building using Scalescenes products. While not everyone likes the idea of printed paper the effectiveness of a number of buildings on RMWeb from their products has certainly impressed me - and as we know ease of supply and modest cost make trying them out instant and affordable. Not worth not checking out, I suggest.

Hi all,

Cheers Paul

scalescenes warehouse kit?

Ypu may find it easyer to scrach build your factory using wills plastic sheets as a basis, I built a goodshed a few years ago for a club layout, at the moment I am drawing up a 7mm engine shed for our club layout, It will be about 4 foot long.

Ian G

In the distant past I have cut up several Airfix engine shed kits to make a 3 storey warehouse, so a quick look through a few kit catalogues or makers websites could throw up some possabilities

Wills make brickwork sections with and without windows as well as many other panels and detailing packs. These should enable you to make most types of buildings, and would be far easier to make to a specific size than adapting a kit. The hardest part would be to find a photo of a building that you could base your model on.

• RMweb Premium

In the distant past I have cut up several Airfix engine shed kits to make a 3 storey warehouse, so a quick look through a few kit catalogues or makers websites could throw up some possabilities

In a similar vein, I'm planning to use the Wills engine shed as a low relief northlight building. Using it this way doubles the length of the building to about 2 feet. I'm planning to add a stone base layer (about 4-6 foot scaled) to give it a little more height. After that it's scratchbuilding...

Ralph

Lambton58

It's ancient, but the Bilteezi factory kit can be built in a modular way.

That said, British industrial buildings vary greatly in different areas of the country- a Midlands mill would never serve as a Northern Boiler shop for instance. I suppose what I'm trying to say is finding a suitable kit of a UK building might prove as problematic as simply scratchbuilding something more appropriate.

Will

I am building the Scalescenes warehouse as we speak. It is beautifully designed but possibly one of the most challenging projects I've done. It is coming along well and looks to make a fine impressive model when complete.

Then again you could try Design Preservaton Models (DPM) kits, US architecture - they come in complete kits or modules so you can use your imagination to build the factory you want.

If you are dead lazy I believe I've seen industrial buildings available from Hornby and Bachmann.

John

Archived