Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

I have to admit i prefered the original 'Trebudoc',but then i`m not much in the passenger stuff...!

I guess it depend`s what you want from your layout,and how much stock you`ll have.

An inglenook type layout does`nt need any staging and only has eight wagon`s max.

Brian.

Hi Brian, I don't want to go down the Passenger Route again so just some sidings to shuffle a Dozen or so wagons about in really, BUT I do like a Run Around Loop and Sidings going each way.

Hi Andrew,

Can you please tell me how you got that " tarmac" effect on the platform? Looks amazing.

Merry Christmas,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn, its some Artist Acrylic paint in tubes, (cheap stuff) Paynes Grey, and White, mix a little on a bit of wood, then start to apply with a 1'' Brush, add more Grey and White direct to the Platform and Blend in with the Brush, allow for lighter and darker patches for a more realistic effect, I also went over with some Talcum Powder, (Cheap Stuff again) and blended that in in patches as well..

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy I think provided to have an approach/exit road long enough to hold the train you can dispense with the fy for home use.  If would be good if it could run behind something fairly low rather like the fy on Port Merryn . You need enough access to be able to set up a train onto the line or take stock off to change the make up and swap the loco and brake van around. The only problem is it will involve handling of the stock. 

An alternative would be to have the entry/exit road run towards the front of the baseboard with provision to attach a cassette to it. A few cassette stored on a shelf underneath. You pick out a suitable train on a cassette attach it to the layout and run the train on. The cassette could be removed while the shunting takes place but can be re-attached to allow the result of the shunt to be removed.

The late Dave Cannon built an 0 gauge layout just over 5ft long which consisted of a run round loop with two sidings coming of either side in opposite directions. The head shunts where restricted to the loco plus one wagon. There were half a station spots to place a wagon  above each spot was a hook on the lighting rig. A pack of 6 cards one for each wagon was used (cold just be five tokens) these were give a good shuffle and then one placed on each hook. Unless the shuffle resulted in exactly the same result wagons would need to be moved so that the correct wagon was on the spot marked by the associate card. You only needed the loco plus the six wagons and the shunt was never the same.

Don 

• Like 1

Andy I think provided to have an approach/exit road long enough to hold the train you can dispense with the fy for home use.  If would be good if it could run behind something fairly low rather like the fy on Port Merryn . You need enough access to be able to set up a train onto the line or take stock off to change the make up and swap the loco and brake van around. The only problem is it will involve handling of the stock. 

An alternative would be to have the entry/exit road run towards the front of the baseboard with provision to attach a cassette to it. A few cassette stored on a shelf underneath. You pick out a suitable train on a cassette attach it to the layout and run the train on. The cassette could be removed while the shunting takes place but can be re-attached to allow the result of the shunt to be removed.

The late Dave Cannon built an 0 gauge layout just over 5ft long which consisted of a run round loop with two sidings coming of either side in opposite directions. The head shunts where restricted to the loco plus one wagon. There were half a station spots to place a wagon  above each spot was a hook on the lighting rig. A pack of 6 cards one for each wagon was used (cold just be five tokens) these were give a good shuffle and then one placed on each hook. Unless the shuffle resulted in exactly the same result wagons would need to be moved so that the correct wagon was on the spot marked by the associate card. You only needed the loco plus the six wagons and the shunt was never the same.

Don 

Morning Don, and thanks, some really good ideas there, I did / do intend to use the Card system again as at least it makes each shunt different.

Food for thought on Christmas morning.

Cheers and a Very Merry Christmas to you all.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ANDY

Just been to Midnight Mass at Chester Cathedral was a very uplifting experience . All the very best

Good man Martin, I bet you really enjoyed that, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Merry Christmas Andy - Thanks for your continued Layouts and Banter over the last year - Great stuff Mate :yes:

Cheers, Bob.

Morning Bob, and a Merry Christmas to you too mate, I hope to actually BUILD an O Gauge Layout in 2017, but we will see :O .

• Like 3

Hello Andy, Hope you and Dee had a lovely Christmas, all the best for 2017...

Thanks George, same to you and Cath mate, see you next Saturday for a BOYS DAY OUT, and a play on Beale St if you want.

Just been reading through Chris Klein's Cwm Bach, just lovely. and only 10ft x 2ft.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

EDITED = 27/12/2016

I wasn't totally happy with the Yard I had, it looked to much like make believe, and having read and been inspired by Chris Klein's Cwm Bach and it's operating potential I was inspired to do something similar but not a copy. For starters I didn't want a Station, I didn't want an incline, and I didn't want a direct copy of Chris's Layout.

So instead of the Colliery that Chris has used, I have gone for an MOD Branch off a Freight only Line that looks like it continues past the Level Crossing and beyond.

In operation the Class 25 / 26 or whatever will bring some Wagons into the Goods Loop,

Run around, and move them into the Siding,

Remove the Brake Van and place in the Head Shunt by the Level Crossing.

Next the 08 will bring in the Returns from the MOD Line and put them into one of the Loops.

The Main Loco can then collect them and place them into the Goods Loop and couple to the Brake Van ready for Departure.

It will then move the in-bound Wagons into the MOD Loop ready for the 08 to take away.

The Main Loco will then collect the out- bound Train and depart.

The Wagons will be Random sorted from the Playing Cards in the Fiddle Yard, and some in and out movements on the Main or MOD Line may well happen as well.

It will not always be a simple Wagon swap, sometimes movements may only be one way for even more variety and Prototypical Running.

post-9335-0-94283300-1482856273_thumb.pn

• Like 13

Andy,

Good plan

If you don't mind me saying, it reminds me very much of Coleford Junction in the Forest of Dean!

Just replace the MoD traffic with stone traffic from the quarry.............

I was trying to think of various Traffics, and with a Scottish 26 and a almost Scottish 25 I wanted to keep it small. Also I can have a bigger variety of Vans / Wagons with the MOD. and I can switch BSS from the Midlands / Forest of Dean with the 25 to Scotland when the 26 is running.

• Like 3

That sounds like a very interesting idea and you'll certainly have some shunting to do using the card system.

Prepping out going trains and sorting inbound at the same time with two locos should be fun!!!

Are you sure I can't interest you in a bauxite VDA!!!!!!   :jester:

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

That sounds like a very interesting idea and you'll certainly have some shunting to do using the card system.

Prepping out going trains and sorting inbound at the same time with two locos should be fun!!!

Are you sure I can't interest you in a bauxite VDA!!!!!!   :jester:

Jinty ;)

P.M. winging its way to Wales as I type this.

• RMweb Gold

I like the idea Andy. I am sure I mentioned the truncated line from Wellington to Newport that was kept open to serve the big Depot at Donnington. There were loads of Speedfrieght vans being taken down by a 47. Special traffic could be all sorts I remember seeing flat trucks with small armoured jeeps as loads. 

Don

• Like 1

I like the idea Andy. I am sure I mentioned the truncated line from Wellington to Newport that was kept open to serve the big Depot at Donnington. There were loads of Speedfrieght vans being taken down by a 47. Special traffic could be all sorts I remember seeing flat trucks with small armoured jeeps as loads. 

Don

Hi Don, yes you did mention it, but I didn't clock on mate, I should have a big variety of Wagons etc. The only thing is I'm restricted to 25 and 26 size due to restricted space on the Headshunt / Level Crossing.