Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

I like the idea Andy. I am sure I mentioned the truncated line from Wellington to Newport that was kept open to serve the big Depot at Donnington. There were loads of Speedfrieght vans being taken down by a 47. Special traffic could be all sorts I remember seeing flat trucks with small armoured jeeps as loads. 

Don

Closed in about 1992 and all pulled up; Only to be reopened as the Telford freight terminal about 10 years later.

Currently parked up  there are a load of (redundant?) bogie coal hoppers (HTA?).

Now that we have the new military logistics centre being built in Donnington ( the old depot being extended) we may also see a return to some military railfreight, which is what happened at the vehicle depot at Ashchurch:  Railway closed and ripped up, only to be put back again about 10 years later.

Talk about short sighted MoD policy........Couldn't organise a p*ss up in a pub!

• Like 2

Cracking new plan Andy could introduce some fuel oil supplies in here just like the Abbey sides at Shrewsbury which used 08's for shunting in the last days of operation ...

Cheers Martin, I have a Berry Wiggins Tanker on order as I remember seeing those when I lived on the Isle of Grain in Kent as a kid. Just need a couple of BP or Shell Tankers as well now.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkksssssssssssss                     NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hahhahhahahhaeeee :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkksssssssssssss                     NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hahhahhahahhaeeee :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  

Tut Tut Andy.

It`s only a  box on wheel`s...... :beee: :laugh:

Brian.

Almost all the Track laid this evening whist the Good Lady watched the Cr*p on Telly. last 2 Point wired in for the crossover next to the Level Crossing, (which I've ordered today) and Track feeds soldered, just the Siding and MOD Loops to lay tomorrow and then I can have a test run.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

• Like 4

Almost all the Track laid this evening whist the Good Lady watched the Cr*p on Telly. last 2 Point wired in for the crossover next to the Level Crossing, (which I've ordered today) and Track feeds soldered, just the Siding and MOD Loops to lay tomorrow and then I can have a test run.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Looking forward to the changes Buddy....

Here's a question for you.

Tomorrow / Thursday I have to lay the Siding off the running Line and the Loop from the MOD Line, as these will be over grown and weed strew I was considering laying them BADLY, as they probably would have been in this sort of location and as I did with Trebudoc.

post-9335-0-22048200-1482967222_thumb.png

post-9335-0-66035400-1482967291_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-87032000-1482967309.jpg

post-9335-0-73406300-1482967328_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-02434900-1482967352.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The secret of success is to lay them fairly well so you don't get derailments then make them look really bad. Split or rotten ends to sleepers will not affect running neither will mis-spaced or twisted sleeprs as long as they are flat. Crosswind (i.e variations in level across the track) is best avoided.

Don

Hi Andy

This is looking really interesting like the way you have got a run round loop into the plan will make for far more interesting operation. I mention the old Shrewsbury Abbey station earlier part of the Shropshire & Montgomery Railway which was of course part of the MOD system in the surrounding area and have been digging through my photo's as I knew i had a shot of an 08 shunter in operation at the Shrewsbury end 

post-5136-0-86942400-1482969484.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this one develop mate  :sungum:

Dear Andy.

Enjoyed reading your posts elsewhere and found this thread interesting. There are not enough Welsh layouts as there should be considering the density and variety of lines. have a look at Ebbw Vale HL as a track and traffic inspiration. It was NW station that had goods, collieries and linked to the steelworks over a long level crossing just beyond the station platform runaround. But you can mix and match. For example the LMS moved ammonia tanks out of ICI in Dowlais, so you could replace the steelworks with that. Cannot think of an MOD installation in the valleys but there may have been one. Cardiff and Bridgend were the big ordnance factories in South Wales and then Glascoed established during WW2.

I've been messing with plans based upon this station for a few years. I have plans somewhere, this is a link to a picture. https://goo.gl/images/bYFrR1

Regards.

The secret of success is to lay them fairly well so you don't get derailments then make them look really bad. Split or rotten ends to sleepers will not affect running neither will mis-spaced or twisted sleeprs as long as they are flat. Crosswind (i.e variations in level across the track) is best avoided.

Don

Looks like you have some nice wagons coming your way ?, with the track l would lay it the best you can, as models are not like the real thing they wont stay on the track ?...

Morning George and Don, I will lay it flat but I wont put a strait edge along it before I pin it, but ensure it runs O.K. before it's ballasted.

Hi Andy

This is looking really interesting like the way you have got a run round loop into the plan will make for far more interesting operation. I mention the old Shrewsbury Abbey station earlier part of the Shropshire & Montgomery Railway which was of course part of the MOD system in the surrounding area and have been digging through my photo's as I knew i had a shot of an 08 shunter in operation at the Shrewsbury end 

attachicon.gifshrewsbury 08 abbey (250x146).jpg

Looking forward to seeing this one develop mate  :sungum:

Morning Martin, that's an interesting Photo, some, what appear to be TAA 100T Tanks and a LOT of Grass between the Rails, Thanks for that.

Dear Andy.

Enjoyed reading your posts elsewhere and found this thread interesting. There are not enough Welsh layouts as there should be considering the density and variety of lines. have a look at Ebbw Vale HL as a track and traffic inspiration. It was NW station that had goods, collieries and linked to the steelworks over a long level crossing just beyond the station platform runaround. But you can mix and match. For example the LMS moved ammonia tanks out of ICI in Dowlais, so you could replace the steelworks with that. Cannot think of an MOD installation in the valleys but there may have been one. Cardiff and Bridgend were the big ordnance factories in South Wales and then Glascoed established during WW2.

I've been messing with plans based upon this station for a few years. I have plans somewhere, this is a link to a picture. https://goo.gl/images/bYFrR1

Regards.

Morning Phillip. Although Beale St Sidings was inspired by Cwm Bach, I'm not fixing the Layout in any one Location. It was the idea of a secondary Feeder Line, (Cwm Bach uses the Colliery, I've used the MOD), to generate constant running around and cross line movements.

If the 25 is the main Loco the Layout can be based almost anywhere from North Devon, Midlands, Wales, (North or South) and even the South of Scotland, but when I run the 26, it will have to be firmly set in the Highlands. I want more of a Photographic source and running / working Layout really, rather than being tied to one area of the Country, hence almost no scenery on the Back Scene other than some Hills and Trees, and No Buildings other than the Signal Cabin and maybe some Work Huts.

I do on the other hand agree with you, South Wales has some tremendous scope for modelling, especially industrial.

Thanks also for the Picture, loads of detailed information can be gleaned from old Photos like that.

Finally good luck with your Project as well.

Thanks for looking in and posting some really useful information.

Andy,

Beale Street is more like my new layout "Tonfanau Camp" rather than "Cwm Bach". Tonfanau Camp is based on the real Tonfanau on the Cambrian Coast line. It served an Army training camp, but I have decided to run sidings into the camp. Progress is glacially slow, but you can read the story here.    http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111369-tonfanau-camp-it-aint-half-wet-mum/  Meanwhile,  here is a photo of my WD Fowler shunter MONTY that will serve the camp

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-58062000-1483007373_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Very much liking the track plan and concept of Beale Street Sidings and will be following your progress.

I like this prototype picture too....

post-6732-0-98040100-1483008169.jpg

Could you (or anybody else), tell me where it is please?

Regards

Dan

Andy,

Beale Street is more like my new layout "Tonfanau Camp" rather than "Cwm Bach". Tonfanau Camp is based on the real Tonfanau on the Cambrian Coast line. It served an Army training camp, but I have decided to run sidings into the camp. Progress is glacially slow, but you can read the story here.    http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111369-tonfanau-camp-it-aint-half-wet-mum/  Meanwhile,  here is a photo of my WD Fowler shunter MONTY that will serve the camp

Regards,

Chris

Nice little Shunter Chris, and an appropriate name as well. I've have had a quick look at your Tonfanau Camp but not looked in any detail at the Track Plan, I'll pop in later and have a proper read.

Thanks.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Hi Andy

Very much liking the track plan and concept of Beale Street Sidings and will be following your progress.

attachicon.gifpost-9335-0-73406300-1482967328_thumb.jpg

Regards

Dan

Hi Dan, I googled Goods Yard sidings yesterday and that picture came up, but I didn't notice where it was, I've just googled it again and can't find it. Someone else may be able to help.

I liked it because of the fencing along the back, and the bushes and huts etc.

Hi Andy

attachicon.gifpost-9335-0-73406300-1482967328_thumb.jpg

Regards

Dan

Dan - Here's the missing caption: "This picture taken on Wapping Wharf shows the sidings and also, left, the lines leading out under Cumberland Road Bridge towards eventually Ashton Gate Junction. There were at one time eleven straight sidings here, each averaging about two hundred yards in length. 25th May 1987 Copyright Roger Winnen"

It's from this site - quite a long way down but you'll have a lot of interesting sites and sights to see as you scroll down!

Happy New Year

Dave

Edited by daifly

• RMweb Gold

Dan - Here's the missing caption: "This picture taken on Wapping Wharf shows the sidings and also, left, the lines leading out under Cumberland Road Bridge towards eventually Ashton Gate Junction. There were at one time eleven straight sidings here, each averaging about two hundred yards in length. 25th May 1987 Copyright Roger Winnen"

It's from this site - quite a long way down but you'll have a lot of interesting sites and sights to see as you scroll down!

Happy New Year

Dave

Thanks Dave, that's just the ticket! Happy New Year to you too and good luck with your modelling endeavours in 2017. See you at Bristol!

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall

Happy New Year

Dave

Thanks Dave, that's just the ticket! Happy New Year to you too and good luck with your modelling endeavours in 2017. See you at Bristol!

Regards

Dan

Thanks Guys, Glad you knew the Location and it's always good when R M Web members can help each other like this, that's what this hobby is all about.