Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Shame about the event. Congratulations about winning the painting prize. I had always said you are an artist something you have denied inthe past you cannot deny it now the people of Bala have spoken. I look forward to seeing what emerges from the 0 gauge track purchase. 

Don

Thanks Don, I must admit to great surprise at the result, I thought it was fairly good but not good enough to win, I must say I do prefer working in Acrylics to Watercolour. More pics of mine from the Gallery in the Kings Moreton thread.

And yes, a shame we had to cancel the event, but safety comes first, and several Members couldn't get their cars out from their Driveways, including me.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Don, I must admit to great surprise at the result, I thought it was fairly good but not good enough to win, I must say I do prefer working in Acrylics to Watercolour. More pics of mine from the Gallery in the Kings Moreton thread.

And yes, a shame we had to cancel the event, but safety comes first, and several Members couldn't get their cars out from their Driveways, including me.

Having lived out on the Wenlock edge and in Broseley through some very bad winters (including the lowest recorded temp in England at Shawbury one year) I could call you a bunch of wussies. But you are right there is no point in taking risks when you dont have to. One of the scariest moments was Callaughton bank with a single track made by the plough with two high drifts each side getting half way up to me the Refuse carts coming down. I had to reverse back quickdown into a farm gateway and those things will just slide if the brakes are touched.

Don

What you need Andy is an old nail like mine............................

Felt like carp this morning, but decided to take youngster out for a snowball fight on the Denbigh Moors.

Got up to the Sportsmans Arms quite easily, here is the old girl outside the Sportsmans.

post-14906-0-26964100-1512929762_thumb.jpg

We decided to take a walk up to the old house, "Gwylfor Hirraddug", but got about 100yds and we were up to our thighs in drifted snow, so turned back.

A good afternoon was had in the end, and we managed to pelt our son with snowballs, he just didn't realise what big kids we were!!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 6

Hi Jinty,

What is the secret weapon next to the coke bottle on the bonnet? Looks like a table tennis net.....

One of the only cars that I use to have and still regret selling was my Toyota Amazon 4.2 D, you could drive that old girl all day and still feel relaxed. Had to sell her to pay the stamp duty on the new house, grrrrr.

Martyn.

• Like 1

My Peugeot 2008 has a traction control device that includes settings for snow/ice, mud and sand. I have yet to use any of them but perhaps later this winter I will have the opportunity on snow/ice?

In Texas we had various large 4x4s but there it was a case of the bigger the safer. Though we did go off road a lot - 50 miles down a beach in hurricane season was a memorable trip!

I brought over a BMW X5 in 2003 and it only saw snow once, on the Bala Llangynog pass last February. With all wheel drive it was not much use, but then I had a white van up my you know what. I traded it for the 2008 a month later, mainly because it cost an arm and a leg to keep on the road. Pun intended.

The same weather has hit southern France but the temperature is warmer. i thought I was supposed to be driving to England today but got my dates wrong, it will be next Sunday. Fingers X’d.

• Like 1

It's not often we get the chance to use these farmwagons for what they were built for. It never snowed during the periods I had X-Trails although they encouraged some of my relatives to buy them where they would be of use every winter.

The X-Trail is another good off roader, maybe not quite so much a serious vehicle, but very capable.

The old nail (Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin) is a very capable vehicle, seriously capable and not bad on the road. The day was helped by some decent All terrain rubber as well. Not many 4 x 4 vehicles this size with full high and low range and diff locks as well.

It's demise is the old wire worm, i think this will be its last winter!  :banghead:  :(

Hi Jinty,

What is the secret weapon next to the coke bottle on the bonnet? Looks like a table tennis net.....

One of the only cars that I use to have and still regret selling was my Toyota Amazon 4.2 D, you could drive that old girl all day and still feel relaxed. Had to sell her to pay the stamp duty on the new house, grrrrr.

Martyn.

Ha Ha, secret weapon!! That is a 2 million candle power LED light bar, it turns 'off road' tracks back to daylight when it gets dark!!!!

Not a lot of use in the snow as the snow blocks it up (as can be seen in the picture), but in other weather conditions it is superb, although I still need to put some matt gaffer tape along the back of the bull bar to stop the reflections!!

I'm looking for a Land Cruiser 3.0 Colorado this coming year as I think that all the Land Cruiser range are just about the best 4 x 4's around, and very useful when serious off roading!

My Peugeot 2008 has a traction control device that includes settings for snow/ice, mud and sand. I have yet to use any of them but perhaps later this winter I will have the opportunity on snow/ice?

In Texas we had various large 4x4s but there it was a case of the bigger the safer. Though we did go off road a lot - 50 miles down a beach in hurricane season was a memorable trip!

I brought over a BMW X5 in 2003 and it only saw snow once, on the Bala Llangynog pass last February. With all wheel drive it was not much use, but then I had a white van up my you know what. I traded it for the 2008 a month later, mainly because it cost an arm and a leg to keep on the road. Pun intended.

The same weather has hit southern France but the temperature is warmer. i thought I was supposed to be driving to England today but got my dates wrong, it will be next Sunday. Fingers X’d.

I can't speak for the 2008, but the X5's are awful off road vehicles, much more use as a Chelsea Tractor!

I hope you have a safe journey next week Paul, hopefully it should of cleared.

Great Pic Jints, and good stories Guys, Thanks. Dee and I bought  Suzuki Jeep when we lived on Dartmoor, 3 years and NO DAMMED SNOW. :no:  :no:

Thanks Andy

The Suzuki Jeeps are another very capable machine off road, they even use them for trialing as they're so good!

Sorry about   the     :offtopic:  Andy.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to have missed your show at the weekend. We were planning to come on Sunday but realised I wouldn't be able to get there even before I saw it was cancelled. I was able to get out of the drive but not out of the village as some nasty person built a barrier between us and the rest of the world in 1837 called the West Coast Mainline with only a rather steep bridge on a right angle corner over it. The only other routes out of the village are through the surrounding countryside, and I couldn't even drive on the flat bits of that!

Ah well... there's always next time.

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Well I've recovered from the initial shock ... I came to see what was happening with the O gauge layout .. and find you've a 50 page thread on a new layout!  Thats good going for even you in a little over six weeks since I was last on here I thought ... then realised I had far less reading and you'd picked up the old Beale Street thread!!  Phew!

Looking good tho - a classic Peter's design and layout on the horizon.  Congratulations on winning the painting competition - well deserved.  The quality of your painting is wonderful.

I must admit I have a secret stash of Welsh Slate that I remove the odd bucket from each time I'm in Wales ... :) sssh!  All gets graded into sizes and put in various buckets when I'm back home for a future project.  Sometime in the never never the way I'm going at the moment!!

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Well I've recovered from the initial shock ... I came to see what was happening with the O gauge layout .. and find you've a 50 page thread on a new layout!  Thats good going for even you in a little over six weeks since I was last on here I thought ... then realised I had far less reading and you'd picked up the old Beale Street thread!!  Phew!

Looking good tho - a classic Peter's design and layout on the horizon.  Congratulations on winning the painting competition - well deserved.  The quality of your painting is wonderful.

I must admit I have a secret stash of Welsh Slate that I remove the odd bucket from each time I'm in Wales ... :) sssh!  All gets graded into sizes and put in various buckets when I'm back home for a future project.  Sometime in the never never the way I'm going at the moment!!

Rich

Hi Rich, and thanks for looking in, Yes not much to read really, I hope to get back onto it later in the week, but I have some weathering jobs to do once I get the stuff back from the Clubroom tonight first, and I'm out all day tomorrow, so once that's out of the way I will start on the other Slate Face from the Bridge.

I think my mates Garden is now nearly bare of Slate, hahah.

I read somewhere that Snowdon was actually 3 ft lower than first thought, it must be YOU taking bits away from the bottom :nono:  :nono: so it's sunk a bit,  :no:

I read somewhere that Snowdon was actually 3 ft lower than first thought, it must be YOU taking bits away from the bottom :nono:  :nono: so it's sunk a bit,  :no:

For some reason it didn't feel three foot lower when I climbed it in the summer!!!!!

Like the Xmas Greetings Andy.

Jinty ;) 

For some reason it didn't feel three foot lower when I climbed it in the summer!!!!!

Like the Xmas Greetings Andy.

Jinty ;)

Hahha it's people like you climbing it that's worn it out mate, hahah are you doing it again next year?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

Rich

Hi Rich

Blink and all has changed in the potting shed.

• Like 1

I anticipate that by the time I return to modeling for myself in four months time, all the 0 gaugers will have evaporated and 4mm/00 will be back in vogue. Interesting times...

I'll probably still be sitting on that darned fence Larry, :nono: OOoohhhh :boast:  :boast:  :boast:  :boast:  IT HURTS. :no:  :rtfm:  :sarcastichand: