Detailed map of Great Britain

• RMweb Premium

The "Superfast Essex" project has a zoomable map here:

http://essex.astuntechnology.com/atsuperfastsolophase2.html

If you uncheck the tick box for "Superfast Essex" in "Map Categories" to remove the coloured overlays you get a plain but extremely detailed map of the county, right down to individual houses.

The map detail extends across Great Britain.

Perhaps similar maps exist for other regions of the UK.

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

I live in Stevenage which is some way West of Essex and it shows my street in such detail that the shapes of the conservatories of my house and the two next door houses can be seen easily. A useful resource indeed.

Ed

Same here - it's even got my big shed (but not the wood shed) on it and I'm a long way from Essex

• RMweb Gold

Best keep quiet about extensions - amendments to the map might be seen by Council Tax departments.

- Richard.

Doesn't matter.  The Council Tax banding would only be reviewed if the property in question is sold.  Thus in the case of my house when the rating Officer visited to assess it for Council Tax banding I pointed out to her that a garage was being built, she looked out and said that she couldn't see a garage (because at that point the site had only been cleared) therefore she could not take it into account for rating purposes because it didn't exist, even if it was going to exist a few months later.

But if/when we move and sell the house the garage would, as would any extension added during our time here (not that there is one) have to taken into account and the rating would be reassessed.  the only other time it would be assessed is if there is a general revaluation for rating purposes.

• RMweb Gold

Its probably based on the Ordinance Survey. Whether or not a structure appears on the map depends on when the last survey was done.

Not so in our case Phil - when the OS person visited to do an update several years back I mentioned the shed and she wasn't interested in it.  I suspect that in reality it probably is OS based but it has been done using satellite images rather than a proper ground level survey.  In our case it reflects the situation as it was in 2007 before the woodshed went in but for two doors up it is correct for the new building erected several years later - it seems to vary a bit from property to property.

Thanks for the link- I've printed out the page with our house on it, as it shows the house names for all the neighbouring properties. Handy for the inevitable inquiries from delivery drivers and so on. Curiously, the detail on outbuildings is not great; neither our, nor our neighbour's, garages are shown, despite being 30 years ago (with planning permission, I should add)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just caught up with this thread and that map is a good find, I've just checked my house on the coast of Norfolk and it's got the double garage and mobile home and house but not the recent model railway shed, Then I deepest Wiltshire the station I'm modelling,  is missing some sidings but it is a military site. the where I used to live in the outer Hebrides and there is an enormouse amount of development go on there sice I left but the buildings I knew are all there ad the flood gates. an impressive map, Now if they can back date to 1940 when I'm modelling...

I'll have to stick to NLS maps fr that...

Archived