RMweb

Really basic Wills point rodding kits

Having read many of the comments on this site about using the Wills point rodding kits, I have a very basic, simple question.  It would appear that  the BASE of the stools to which the rodding connects is at the same level as the base of the track sleepers.  Thus, assuming I draw a 1-1 plan, the key issue is to remove the plastic webbing of the flextrack, etc. where rodding crosses under the rails.  Correct?  Or do I have to plan for multiple heights & depths? (God forbid!)

The rest of the stuff on the topic is well covered in various threads on this site -- which to an American modeller is invaluable.  Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience.

George

North Carolina

Having read many of the comments on this site about using the Wills point rodding kits, I have a very basic, simple question.  It would appear that  the BASE of the stools to which the rodding connects is at the same level as the base of the track sleepers.  Thus, assuming I draw a 1-1 plan, the key issue is to remove the plastic webbing of the flextrack, etc. where rodding crosses under the rails.  Correct?  Or do I have to plan for multiple heights & depths? (God forbid!)

The rest of the stuff on the topic is well covered in various threads on this site -- which to an American modeller is invaluable.  Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience.

George

North Carolina

George

This how I did it retrospectively on my layout Little Muddle and attach a few pictures for your information.

I have written an annotated article on how I did this but its on another website I belong to - railwaymodellers.com

The rods going under the track are run off a low crank which gives you the room to go under the track and yes there are a lot of height differences to take into account.

My advise - plan well ahead before starting

Hope this is of use.

Kevin

post-8925-0-43904400-1479843130_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-59366200-1479843139_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-08788000-1479843166_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-27969000-1479843218_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 6

That's nice!

We retrofitted on Abbotswood - not perfect but better than none....

Hardest bit is to get the rodding runs to butt join reliably

Phil

Phil

The trick is to glue a thin piece of micro strip to the underside makes fixing/lining up easy.

I also fixed a packer to the underside of the stools so I could adjust the depth of the ballast easier.

Kevin

post-8925-0-04573900-1479844100_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

We've fitted Wills rodding to the Bournemouth West layout. Yes it is a bit over scale but when weathered well really looks good. All the runs were built up on separate pieces of 20thou plasticard, offsite, then a path cleared next to the track, of ballast etc and glued down. We use C&L track and where the Roding passes under a trench was cut in the cork underlay and the webs on the track removed. Runs were joined with micro strip as mentioned above. Final re ballasting and touching up were completed. Result is not 100% accurate but much better than nothing.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...