The big Leap starts with a Gronk

PjKing1

Thanks Brian, not sure yet although I'm not very good with the airbrush I can just about get away with it for body side side grime, well I did on my 4mm locos, but the last two I weathered I used powders on the body and they turned out ok. D270 was one of the first 40's in blue so it won't be to dirty, mostly the roof etc, here's some pics

https://flic.kr/p/axJdrL

https://flic.kr/p/5xFAQ5

Thanks again

Looking back through your Dirty Diesels thread,i`d have thought that apart from these being 'slightly' larger models you`d have no trouble weathering the 40.

Espescially with some of the excellent stuff i saw there.

But perhaps all you need is a slightly bigger and deeper breath before you attack the 40...... ;)

Cheers,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Looking back through your Dirty Diesels thread,i`d have thought that apart from these being 'slightly' larger models you`d have no trouble weathering the 40.

Espescially with some of the excellent stuff i saw there.

But perhaps all you need is a slightly bigger and deeper breath before you attack the 40...... ;)

Cheers,

Brian.

Cheers Brian, I just feel you can get away with more in the smaller scales, with 7mm the slightest mistake will show up :O must admit I'm loving every minute of it though :)

Thanks again

• RMweb Gold

Well at 4.30 this morning I was working on buffer beams and the tanks, must admit I love the way most bits are easily removed, like the bogie side frames and the tanks, makes weathering so much easier for something this size.

A8B44B31-4054-4DF6-B83F-9FEE48AED30E_zps

6F580972-74E2-436A-8385-909890CB1122_zps

BD539A69-D845-44A2-85FA-B1F2C12317B5_zps

9B45C4A9-5EAB-47BF-89E3-7030B2CEDE35_zps

They neighbours must think I'm mad if they can see me in my pj's spraying Dullcoat in the pitch black garden!!

Cheers

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well at 4.30 this morning I was working on buffer beams and the tanks, must admit I love the way most bits are easily removed, like the bogie side frames and the tanks, makes weathering so much easier for something this size.

They neighbours must think I'm mad if they can see me in my pj's spraying Dullcoat in the pitch black garden!!

Cheers

Ah but insanity is the best part of this hobby - I was talking the cat earlier about that! ;). A friend of mine once spraying some lorry model was asked quite seriously why he was spraying at 2am - he replied and said its a dark part with black paint, if I spray it in daylight I'll never see it!!!  Amazingly the neighbour said "oh right" and got as far as the backdoor before the penny dropped!

Looks good mate. Coming on nicely

Rich

Cheers

Well, at least you`ve got some PJ`s......!!

I`m enjoying see this develop with each post..... :good:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Finally finished the water tanks last night using some Tamiya weathering powders i thought I'd try. I've had since I started weathering 4 years ago but I'd never used them and I have to say I'm pretty impressed, so I think I'll be ordering some other shades.

So this morning I refitted the tanks after dry brushing the underside detail and weathered the buffers, so I think the chassis is more or less finished and although it's a pretty miserable day here I've managed some natural light shots.

4F099DA4-D8A9-4CC1-A12D-F327C9F64371_zps

4CFDBF3C-73B3-4F27-ABB6-68A3F173B1F9_zps

279599AE-DAB7-4226-AC15-9EB21D6F68F9_zps

AD001760-ED01-4B75-A75F-4F12A6FBE7AC_zps

49283E2D-2685-4CF2-BB44-B490294D62B2_zps

DECE1E40-E195-403E-8CB7-0F61CDC6F4C0_zps

8ECCC6E9-861B-4D87-AF12-CACDB03A4FFA_zps

00DFFB5F-B09F-4ADE-8A8D-6BAEBC8570A7_zps

D6D4A7EF-2976-40CF-9118-61EE3F37B813_zps

1EA6AEBC-3A7D-4150-AAF5-DA5CC8189CFC_zps

89C74062-67D8-4AC3-88D3-0CC62E7A31C7_zps

Cheers

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well over the weekend I managed to pick the latest addition to the fleet up from my mums an it really is a nice model.

32CD185F-5151-413F-A7F3-4991A349C265_zps

5715B5D3-71E8-438E-9CD2-3B9974EED366_zps

B335A476-44D6-4A7A-90FE-A161547965B1_zps

D2548BF3-D5E8-45DB-8C17-F3EB4C4277F4_zps

E42E2991-834F-4580-B067-77C416F0B285_zps

8AD6BF40-9759-4FBD-B08D-68240DA3A45F_zps

6365C83F-13B5-43CB-8E04-9E32BB562959_zps

3A7D3EAD-BE4F-445A-8CCF-733AD778F418_zps

20F5AEE9-083A-4EE9-9A18-53DD608D967B_zps

Then attention turned to possible depot plans with this being the basis for what I have in mind.

EF96F9BC-9338-444B-8955-AE4C99344C6E_zps

Not sure if I need to simplify the approach or not but I have decided I'm going to change this so the main shed is three road with a two road covered fuelling point along side

C709C666-9A60-493C-A2B5-D331A7ADB9FB_zps

Not sure which thread to but the layout ideas in so I'll keep it on my WB thread for now.

Cheers

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy, nothing done this week apart from going through nearly a full pack of A4 to try and get a track plan together, to be honest it's the most frustrating week yet since I've took up modelling again. Unfortunately I have 'prototypical OCD' so unless a track plan looks realistic my tiny brain can't compute! :(

Last night though I dug out two left over n gauge cl40 bodies and using more sheets of A4 I've been having a good play around. I've also decided 3' width is a max and either three or four 5' boards is an absolute max to (again all long term).

Up to know the two that I'm most happier with are a stabling point based on an old steam shed with a small fuelling point or something based very much on Buxton (again :O ), once I'm happy with the two final plans I'll post them up in here to get some thoughts.

On a more positive note though I managed to attend the West Lancashire O Gauge Group and stretched the legs of the cl37 for the first time, in fact it's the first time I've ran any of my locos :)

0719F867-90AC-4323-BEEA-E1058A7CB2F9_zps

4A79198B-81F2-4CF8-8618-8C55AF3894D1_zps

4170406B-B2B1-4639-A359-C97E39E9B52D_zps

https://youtu.be/ped7ZurfGog

Had a great afternoon and made to feel very welcome so a big thank you to everyone there today.

Cheers

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Glad you had a good time yesterday. Hope you enjoyed seeing the 37 running about.

Just a thought but way not but the big picture on one side. Go for a more focused piece that you keep adding to, and let it de slip over time as real sheds did? So a two/three road shed building with fuel point alongside. Then once that's underway, think how it might have been expanded?

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Glad you had a good time yesterday. Hope you enjoyed seeing the 37 running about.

Just a thought but way not but the big picture on one side. Go for a more focused piece that you keep adding to, and let it de slip over time as real sheds did? So a two/three road shed building with fuel point alongside. Then once that's underway, think how it might have been expanded?

Rich

Morning Rich, thanks mate, I'm kind of getting there, I just keep getting carried away I know less is more so I have to remember that as 7mm is a whole new ball game. I could quite easily build a four road shed but it'd look so cramped and I must keep reminding myself of that, it's just far to easy on paper to turn Buxton into Crewe within a few minutes. I'm also trying to picture the grit and grime ot the 60's and trying to get that across in what I do.

I'm not going to lie I want what ever I build to impress people and I want people people to say 'wow' and want to see it, that may sound a bit cocky and I can assure you I'm not in any way that, but that's the standard I'm setting myself :(

Thanks again

• Like 1

Morning Rich, thanks mate, I'm kind of getting there, I just keep getting carried away I know less is more so I have to remember that as 7mm is a whole new ball game. I could quite easily build a four road shed but it'd look so cramped and I must keep reminding myself of that, it's just far to easy on paper to turn Buxton into Crewe within a few minutes. I'm also trying to picture the grit and grime ot the 60's and trying to get that across in what I do.

I'm not going to lie I want what ever I build to impress people and I want people people to say 'wow' and want to see it, that may sound a bit cocky and I can assure you I'm not in any way that, but that's the standard I'm setting myself :(

Thanks again

Hi Paul, it's 7mm so people will say Wow anyway, even a single line with stunning scenery done right will look the dog's doo da's in 7mm, sometimes there is a danger to over think it, then it becomes obsessive and not enjoyable.

Good luck with the project, stick with it.

Best regards

Craig.

I can definitely agree with Craig,less is more!.

And now that i`ve built my little photo plank i find myself just looking at the wagon`s i`ve finished sat on it. It has also spured me on to get the scenery started on my main layout in a few weeks as well.

You could for now just mount yourself a length of peco track on a bit of board, and have a play with some scenery?.

How about this for some trial scenery work;https://www.flickr.com/photos/68861278@N03/8226423643/in/photolist-dwWz9p-dUmxZN-9bymYq-ai16a2-dRiAAv-7c5SEd-aFeTgr-r3Nb6p-jADzjg-dSWNDT-9qizSM-dxtaA9-aUwRxt-9qDa28-dh6iEZ-jgTTuG-pmj5QT-a57bVK-dJQQgA-hERR9v-fTNvg1-gUAefo-qXhJwG-aD6yaf-qdgmwv-dAkgMQ-dxwwmo-drLPW8-gQYzxp-i3uAhQ-oUWPpN-aAofVx-bpw5WJ-dDsmse-a6SXoL-p1bsgC-9bgXgj-nhxHFU-oQH2bz-dMtUua-kh2ukR-4fVVXM-pnUbJS-4gK5rL-dNqiFV-dwTnw4-aPB2hn-oyByb9-jD86uT-cUD3EG

you could model the old interior wall in the photo as a backdrop,but still keeping the pit`s and all the muck and oil that goes with it.And when your finished you`ll have some where to show off your (superbly) weathered loco`s,whilst you build your main layout.

Brian.

• Like 2

Thanks Andy, nothing done this week apart from going through nearly a full pack of A4 to try and get a track plan together, to be honest it's the most frustrating week yet since I've took up modelling again. Unfortunately I have 'prototypical OCD' so unless a track plan looks realistic my tiny brain can't compute! :(

Last night though I dug out two left over n gauge cl40 bodies and using more sheets of A4 I've been having a good play around. I've also decided 3' width is a max and either three or four 5' boards is an absolute max to (again all long term).

Up to know the two that I'm most happier with are a stabling point based on an old steam shed with a small fuelling point or something based very much on Buxton (again :O ), once I'm happy with the two final plans I'll post them up in here to get some thoughts.

On a more positive note though I managed to attend the West Lancashire O Gauge Group and stretched the legs of the cl37 for the first time, in fact it's the first time I've ran any of my locos :)0719F867-90AC-4323-BEEA-E1058A7CB2F9_zps4A79198B-81F2-4CF8-8618-8C55AF3894D1_zps4170406B-B2B1-4639-A359-C97E39E9B52D_zpshttps://youtu.be/ped7ZurfGog

Had a great afternoon and made to feel very welcome so a big thank you to everyone there today.

Cheers

What fertilizer do I need to use on my fields to grow a new DSLR like that? :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well Paul, if it's back to Buxton;

attachicon.gif1-MSP - 121 - 7659 Buxton.jpg

Mike.

Mike what a fantastic pic, I've been really looking into this but I don't even think I could fit Buxton into a doable space I think I'd need at least 4-5' width, it's amazing how what you think is manageable soon disappears when you start measuring up. If I can do it though it's looking a very good option, I really need a man cave like yours mate!!

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, it's 7mm so people will say Wow anyway, even a single line with stunning scenery done right will look the dog's doo da's in 7mm, sometimes there is a danger to over think it, then it becomes obsessive and not enjoyable.

Good luck with the project, stick with it.

Best regards

Craig.

Thanks Craig I totally agree I've kind of stepped back a bit as I was really over thinking things, I keep telling myself less is more but then I see old photos of the cramped conditions in the 60's and I get carried away again, I'm just going to take my time and an idea will come hopefully.

Thanks for the encouragement mate :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can definitely agree with Craig,less is more!.

And now that i`ve built my little photo plank i find myself just looking at the wagon`s i`ve finished sat on it. It has also spured me on to get the scenery started on my main layout in a few weeks as well.

You could for now just mount yourself a length of peco track on a bit of board, and have a play with some scenery?.

How about this for some trial scenery work;https://www.flickr.com/photos/68861278@N03/8226423643/in/photolist-dwWz9p-dUmxZN-9bymYq-ai16a2-dRiAAv-7c5SEd-aFeTgr-r3Nb6p-jADzjg-dSWNDT-9qizSM-dxtaA9-aUwRxt-9qDa28-dh6iEZ-jgTTuG-pmj5QT-a57bVK-dJQQgA-hERR9v-fTNvg1-gUAefo-qXhJwG-aD6yaf-qdgmwv-dAkgMQ-dxwwmo-drLPW8-gQYzxp-i3uAhQ-oUWPpN-aAofVx-bpw5WJ-dDsmse-a6SXoL-p1bsgC-9bgXgj-nhxHFU-oQH2bz-dMtUua-kh2ukR-4fVVXM-pnUbJS-4gK5rL-dNqiFV-dwTnw4-aPB2hn-oyByb9-jD86uT-cUD3EG

you could model the old interior wall in the photo as a backdrop,but still keeping the pit`s and all the muck and oil that goes with it.And when your finished you`ll have some where to show off your (superbly) weathered loco`s,whilst you build your main layout.

Brian.

Thanks Brian I'm trying to find a suitable locations for a small stabling point I think then I can go from there nothing big but something that seen a couple of dozen locos a day maybe, I think if I can find a back story I can go forward. I'll be totally honest here I feel really out of my comfort zone, not because it's 7mm but because it's something new, if I could I'd just build ELJ as i spent over two years researching an building it an I know every sleeper and I know I could make it look stunning in 7mm (I'm not being big headed I just know how to build it).

I love this gauge though and I've only just started I've got so much to look forward to in it.

Thanks again

Paul,

Although I can't immediately find any pics, somewhere like Button on Trent diesel shed (later demoted to just a fuelling point) might suit?

IIRC, it was a simple two road shed capable of holding two locos each road and an outside 'standard' fuelling point. In the 1970's it even had an allocation of 08's, presumably for the remaining brewery sidings.

Think Wellingborough was similar in design but larger, i.e. multiples of the same standard 1960's design shed.

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

Although I can't immediately find any pics, somewhere like Button on Trent diesel shed (later demoted to just a fuelling point) might suit?

IIRC, it was a simple two road shed capable of holding two locos each road and an outside 'standard' fuelling point. In the 1970's it even had an allocation of 08's, presumably for the remaining brewery sidings.

Think Wellingborough was similar in design but larger, i.e. multiples of the same standard 1960's design shed.

Thanks Andy, I've come up with a couple of ideas but I can't seem to get away from trying to make the fuelling points through roads with a run around, only because I've heard so much negativity over the years about dead end fuel points, I think that's why I like real locations so much as no one can say that's not right.

Cheers

Thanks Andy, I've come up with a couple of ideas but I can't seem to get away from trying to make the fuelling points through roads with a run around, only because I've heard so much negativity over the years about dead end fuel points, I think that's why I like real locations so much as no one can say that's not right.

Cheers

In that case I think Burton maybe just up your street, it was a through shed IIRC, I'll do some looking if you want?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/curly42/5621904582/in/gallery-50619197@N07-72157633308947455/

Edited by leopardml2341