Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

Whilst I appreciate that Hornby have said they have access to material not available to the public, i would love for them to release the images they were working from to be able to turn around and say to every single person that argued, see we told you it was correct! How stupid would everyone feel then!!!!!

They could hardly claim the moral victory when they keep referring to the larger one as a "battery box". Having modelled them for years, I'm still surprised at the general lack of understanding and information of the subject (just look at the debate around what shade electric blue was), so there is always something new to learn.

There might be the general perception that myself and others have been growling on at them like a bear with a sore head over this issue, but the fact is too many livery mistakes are still being made nowadays and then there is the misreading of a livery from a photo that another manufacturer tried to justify a few years ago.

If a mere amateur like me can scratch build a unique and extinct electric loco from about eight photos and a misleading drawing and win a trophy for it that has previously been held by some of the most recognized names in that field of the hobby, then I'd expect full time professionals to be absolutely transparent in not only their sources but also in delivering a product that suits the end consumer.

My favourite suggestion for a blue 87 would have been the 2003 heritage repaint of 87001 without plates, but I know it isn't going to happen as its named (and current preserved condition) would be more useful and popular. Here is a scan of it from it's second day back in traffic:

post-6819-0-44436000-1499031574_thumb.jpg

Edited by 298
  • Like 1

Yeah, because Hornbys website is always 100% correct and never, ever wrong.[/quote

Not sure what your point is. Dagworth asked about the current estimated date for availability and that's what the suppliers current estimated date is. It's unlikely to be the final date, as they seldom are, but on average is likely to be slightly later than the current showing date. The main point is that the supplier estimates that the date has slipped into 2018, which tends to happen to one or two new tooling releases (eg Merchant Navy from 2016 program)

Much muttering about the '87 (of which I shall add to my stable - why??? No idea, just want one...) but nestling hereabouts are hints about an '86...

So do I persist in tarting up my Hornby one...or hold my breath...?

Unfortunately the newer models are getting more difficult to convert reliably, without having to resort to springing.  However, I have had 100% so far converting two-axle bogies, with or without Ultrascale drop-in sets.  I have quite a lot of 3'9" wheels in use under class 86's, so one of those will be in the shops loaning its rollers to the 87!

Hmmm...springing: something I seem to have taken up where Ian P of this parish has not the time to address (see my Class 31 bogies). Hadn't thought about it, but...

Hornby: you do a new 86 and I'll do the sprung bogies. Fair?

• RMweb Gold

Much muttering about the '87 (of which I shall add to my stable - why??? No idea, just want one...) but nestling hereabouts are hints about an '86...

So do I persist in tarting up my Hornby one...or hold my breath...?

You know the answer to that, get on with the old on so that when you finish it Hornby will make the announcement!

Andi

Ive not seen any chat about whether the new model can accept p4 or em wheelsets slotted straight in.......

Send Paul Isles a PM, he'll mostly likely answer your question(s) and/or when it is featured in the next The Engine Shed blog, you'll get your answer there.

Cheers!

Yes, nice images from August Hornby Magazine which i picked up this morning.

One thing I noticed though is the positioning of the lower connections of the TDM cables.  IIRC this was indeed the position of them when first fitted by BR but they were then moved to the bottom of the cab front soon afterwards (by the time INTERCITY swallow livery was introduced?) due to reliability issues?

Also the lower connecting boxes look quite overscale..

Here are a couple of scans from my photos unfortunately undated but probably 1993 ish.

AC electric enthusiasts will no doubt be able to provide more information on the TDM issue but I seem to recall that a lot of Mk3 DVT's were loco hauled in their early days as a result of TDM failures.

Hornby, please could you re release your excellent Mk3 DVT in INTERCITY livery - preferably with provision for a front coupling?

post-17874-0-00974600-1499947923.jpg

post-17874-0-82352400-1499947925.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to come back to the cables again.  On the real loco the original MU cable was a lot chunkier than the TDM cables. See lower photo on #546.

It would be a shame if the front end of the exec liveried one is spoilt by overscale lower connectors especially if they are moulded on.  The actual cables not so much of an issue if they are separate wire as they could be removed and replaced with thinner wire.

Sorry to be pernickety, but best to point these things out at this stage.

Also the lower connecting boxes look quite overscale..

It's another bizarre choice that defies modelling choice (I've yet to consider the marketing aspect though).

The earlier recepticles were a box with a sprung lid and were quite big (but something doesn't look right about them in the photos), the later ones are just box section to keep the plug in one place.

I'd be interested to hear how they've measured them, whether they were a standard BR part that exists on something else or if they've interpretated them from drawings or photos.