Mystery Locomotive

28XX

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a Midland 2F 0-6-0 - flared coal rails on tender, position of boiler feed pipe and clack valve and cab shape do it for me....although the boiler feed pipe varied from loco to loco

Not the most likely type to be at Stourport - are we sure of location? Fencing looks rather more Midland than GW to my eyes...

CHeers

Phil

Edit - must be hallucinating - see below!

Just to add to my last post:

- sandbox on top/in front of splasher - Super D

- no smokebox numberplate visible - Super D

- no horizontal handrail across smokebox front (cf 2F)

- pipe emerges from cabside (cf rail above cabside in 2F)

- larger diameter boiler cf 2F

- boiler feed pipe position - Super D

- handrail on right side of smokebox appears to be bending up to go round top of smokebox door -Super D

I agree it's an unexpected engine at Stourport.

A Super D indeed. Following the withdrawal of the 0-8-4 tanks Buxton fitted one for that class's previous snowplough duties. They normally ran back to back with a 4F, the latter fitted with a small plough.

Possibly the loco was sent to Stourport on the basis that the plough was already fitted, but it's almost certainly a Buxton allocation.

Thanks for all your replies. The Stourport connection could be tenuous. The pic was published in a Facebook group Growing up in Worcestershire in the 40s 50s and 60s.

Allegedly taken by a 14 year old farm worker from Witley Court.

• RMweb Gold

Well that certainly gives it local provenance! Was kicked out of the grounds for fishing in the lake without permission there - and my mother's ashes are scattered in the grounds.

Struggling to place the local topography though - Stourport was a single line with passing loop

And snowplough duties would have been the provenance of the local division which was Worcester up until the regional changes in 62 - so WR loco more likely I guess

Phil

In the fifties Stockport, Macclesfield and Buxton all had G2a locos. I don't remember any snowplough fitted ones at Stockport, but then, as now, I don't go out voluntarily in the snow.

As an aside Bescot was well equipped with G2as as well and that is a lot closer to Stourport than 9B!

Regards

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold

Not the Whitley I was thinking of (just south of Coventry station), but that one could be a better bet. Whitley Crossing was on the main line about a mile north of Wigan, so plenty of Super D opportunities and as you say the right kind of fencing..

Archived