Langstone LBSCR

kirtleypete

Patience may be a virtue, but it's not one that I posess!

My varnish water was dry to the touch, so earlier on this morning I added some whitemetal ducks. They looked great.

An hour later they had sunk into the varnish until only their heads were showing....they looked more like U Boats than ducks! I've had to pull them out and now the water has dimples where the ducks were. The ducks are covered in gooey varnish and so were my fingers.

Sorry - I didn't take a photograph, you'll have to imagine it and also what I said when I saw them.

I will take a nice picture when finally the varnish is properly dry.

Peter

• Like 1

No ducks, but I have added some waves to the water. I was in two minds about this because of course they won't move but I think it looked too flat without them. The paste dries clear, they won't look white then.

32459688336_3f940e259a_c.jpg

The 'Making Waves' paste was just stippled on with a stiff paintbrush.

32500239075_a1e23da7b0_c.jpg

The bollards are from Skytrex, and didn't even need painting.

32500239225_9cc41ccb6b_c.jpg

The offices of the 'Langstone Pier, Harbour & Steamship Company Limited' now cover the electrics on top of the stone wall.

32121777900_ff756b812c_c.jpg

The next job is to build the second half of the station buildings. The ballast in the foreground still isn't dry, it takes forever at this time of year.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 18

I would like to add my compliments on what is a superb model.

Just a little point, it is unlikely that you would have ducks in the water as it is the sea they would be gulls, possibly swans. The ducks in Langston spent their time on (in?) the millpond/ornamental lake - they liked the fresh water.

I spent a long time growing up down there  .... *sigh* happy days they were!

Emma

Just a little point, it is unlikely that you would have ducks in the water as it is the sea they would be gulls, possibly swans. 

I've sat around the corner outside the Royal Oak enjoying a pint and feeding argumentative mallards.

Ah , that's because the ducks knew they'd be fed by the daft patrons :haha: . The 'normal' ducks prefers fresh water to the sea.

I used to often sit and watch the tide come in around foolish townies who had parked their cars in the wrong place - I was too young to drink for most of the time we went there. My grandparents owned Langston Towers, my name is probably still under one of the floorboards in the tower itself!

Emma

I wondered about that Emma and checked on the RSPB website which says if the water is calm they don't mind the sea as long as they keep near the shore. They just add a bit of colour, and I will be adding lots of gulls too of course.

I'm very envious of you being able to hear the Bluebell from home!

Peter

• Like 1

Well OT, but sparked by Emma's posting. My great grandmother travelled in the opposite direction: she was born and grew up in Horsted Keynes, but married a Hayling Islander and lived there. One generation on, her daughter, my grandmother, with her Hayling Husband and children, the eldest being my mother, moved back in the opposite direction, not to HK, but near enough. Such was the contrast between Hayling and the Weald, that my mother's then small brother thought they'd emigrated to the alps!

K

What a truly remarkable, and fascinating layout! I'd often thought what great potential a layout based on Hayling Island would be if it had been even more popular as a resort, and the rail bridge had been replaced with something a bit more substantive.....but

this though, takes us on a different alt- reality...........superb. Thanks for sharing!

Guest Midland Mole

My pathetic attempts are edging closer to the bin every day!

I'm sure they are not pathetic. Anything you create with your own hands is worth something, just keep at it. :)

Also, as everyone else has said, this layout is a masterpiece. Really top notch work!

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated, everyone.

Finally the damn ballast has dried enough to clean it up after what seems like months of waiting (but is actually about a week!). The 'waves' have dried too and I'm going to leave well along now, if I do any more I risk ruining it. The next job is to take the boards down so I can remove the sheet of plastic that is sandwiched between them, and then get the station building finished before putting up the third baseboard.

31840126004_624f42074f_c.jpg

The planks will cover the point rodding in due course but I can't add that yet as the signal box will be on the next board and it's best to do it all as one job.

31840127024_9d3ffecd95_c.jpg

31840128174_0857e549a9_c.jpg

I went to a lot of trouble making the track from C&L components, using the correct pattern chairs and so on....now all you can see is the rail heads!

32642355236_16232b31b2_c.jpg

32304092650_2b3c0972a0_c.jpg

Peter

• Like 10

Good question - actually the stuff I'm using isn't called that, but they're all pretty much the same. It's a white stiff paste which you put on using a stiff paintbrush by stippling it...the paste is thick enough to stay in place and you can form waves, small waterfalls, that sort of thing. When it dries it's clear.  

Woodland Scenics produce a version, there's one called Making Waves....the one I've got is called 'KJ0893 RIPPLE MAKER WATER EFFECT' but the pot doesn't say who makes it and I can't remember where I bought it.

For moving water like a swift flowing river you can dry brush the wave tops once it's dry with white paint, it looks really effective in pictures but of course it doesn't move.

Peter

This is beautiful, particularly the water.

Your ducks will be fine on the sea. Most species are equally happy on salt or fresh water, even mallards. They won't be upset by a few waves. Some ducks are almost exclusively marine and have no difficulty riding out very rough seas.

• Like 1

I went to a lot of trouble making the track from C&L components, using the correct pattern chairs and so on....now all you can see is the rail heads!

I'm afraid I find that very encouraging, as I want similar ballasting on my 1905 K&ESR layout that I hope to be starting soon! My track is tatty old copper clad that I was given, and needs to be well hidden :).

Incidentally, what did you use for ballast, as I imagine mine would have come from a similar (real) source.