The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

model train collection to fetch £150,000 !

peanuts

It's on the telly tonight and it's the volume and size of collection which surprised us, it's huge stored in a largest warehouse bigger than some toy fairs, the deceased owner had another house to store it in. It's said he started collecting cause he used to take cover from the rain in a entrance of a model railway shop while waiting for a bus, probably kept the shop in business for many years

Hmmm, there's a few I might be interested in and I have an hour or two to spare tomorrow. Hopefully any RMwebbers who bid successfully will report back on this thread. 

Thanks to those that explained the costs involved further back in the thread.

I'm not certain - never actually having done it - but I think you can hear (and possibly watch?) the auction live on 'The saleroom' without having to sign in

Not sure about this one, but the last auction I watched on line was only available if you registered with the seller and had a paddle number for that day.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Not sure about this one, but the last auction I watched on line was only available if you registered with the seller and had a paddle number for that day.

Bernard

It is available live from the auctioneer - no sound but you can watch the bids moving.  There are definitely some idiots out there bidding on the ;net (which isn't unusual in my experience)

With Lot 4 going for £340 I do not think I will bother.

Bernard

Well, bidding is certainly lively.  I submitted 13 absentee bids in total, but at those prices, I'll not win anything.  I know that two items I bid on have already gone for a lot more than I was willing to spend on them.  However, at this rate the auctioneer will make the £150,000.

• RMweb Gold

Well, bidding is certainly lively.  I submitted 13 absentee bids in total, but at those prices, I'll not win anything.  I know that two items I bid on have already gone for a lot more than I was willing to spend on them.  However, at this rate the auctioneer will make the £150,000.

I think there are either idiots or dealers in the Gosturde/Rails/Hattons mode out there to pay the sort of prices they are paying especially when you consider you need to add at least 20% to the hammer price.  Looks like the publicity might have had the intended effect - and the big money stuff is mainly tomorrow!

It is available live from the auctioneer - no sound but you can watch the bids moving.  There are definitely some idiots out there bidding on the ;net (which isn't unusual in my experience)

Got it via The Saleroom but as you say no sound and no video.

4 VEP went for around the same price as one available BIN on ebay. 

A couple of coach packs Lot 25 and 27 I think were crazy.

Very much some idiotic on line bidding.

Bernard

Yes - both went for more than twice what I was was willing to pay, mainly because I didn't want half the contents and didn't know how easy the ones I didn't want would be to shift.  The first 42 lots have gone for a total of £6,660 and we're only half an hour into the auction.

• RMweb Gold

Got it via The Saleroom but as you say no sound and no video.

4 VEP went for around the same price as one available BIN on ebay. 

Bernard

It could of course be that there are some less than thoughtful buyers using the 'net and failing to take into account the add ons as that is something which happens with some 'net bidders judging by past experience  (even worse however is when they start saying 'I didn't realise it would cost that much' and try to get out of their purchase).   Some of the Lima prices have also been ridiculous although i wonder if collectors or foreign bidders have been involved there. 

But still over the top estimate in most cases.

True.

A case of Switzerland being out of fashion? Not just in terms of model railways. :O

I don't think CH will ever be truly out of fashion, but the price level associated with it might be. I used to think that anything that was produced in Swiss outline HO could basically command its own price tag, and the market would somehow find a way to pay it.

True.

I don't think CH will ever be truly out of fashion, but the price level associated with it might be. I used to think that anything that was produced in Swiss outline HO could basically command its own price tag, and the market would somehow find a way to pay it.

That was probably true until a few years ago.

Most of the army officer types who were regular visitors for climbing  and other sports are now popping off or retired to rest homes.

The large circular layouts housed in a loft or barn that they favoured are now also gone.

The only time I ran 18 201 with 16 on was on such a layout.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

The Mehano prices struck me as ludicrous (as did some of the Lima).  Interestingly the Rivarossi stuff is mainly going for somewhere between top & bottom estimate witha  few OTT exceptions (UP Big Boys always go daft at auctions, even with cheese cutter flanges on older ones).  And one Rivarossi lot just scraped bottom estimate, and some not even making bottom estimate.

• RMweb Gold

For some reason I've now got the sound on the direct live link to the auctioneer and it is quite clear that there are some total p*llocks bidding on the 'net as they're coming in far too quickly on slow starting lots and not letting the auctioneer drop the starting price - and he is obviously exploiting it.

One thing about it, if you care to follow it, is that you can identify the bidders as the auctioneer gives the bidder number when he knocks down a lot and even some 'net bidders have different numbers.

Archived