The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

model train collection to fetch £150,000 !

peanuts

I was waiting for the Kato DR set.

I have the 4 car version and would have liked the extension pair and a spare power car, but not at well over £200 all in.

I wonder what effect this sale will have on the second hand continental market.

I can see a lot of it being around for a long time.

Bernard

I can see a lot of it being around for a long time...

....at much higher unit prices, obviously. I'm thinking close to current RRP, so it's almost like recycling.

I wonder if any of the successful bidders were from mainland Europe - the prices realised seem much lower than over there, and would represent real bargains.

....at much higher unit prices, obviously. I'm thinking close to current RRP, so it's almost like recycling.

I wonder if any of the successful bidders were from mainland Europe - the prices realised seem much lower than over there, and would represent real bargains.

But will people pay?

I find it odd that some of the fairly modern stuff was, as you mentioned, very cheap, but some very ancient stuff was fetching what I consider to be ridiculously high prices.

DDR made wagons that could be picked up for 50p each about ten years ago made good prices even in bulk. Can there be that many people out there who will buy them?

I hope the buyer of the Kleinbahn stuff finds that they are OK as I have seen some stock that has severely distorted.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

I was waiting for the Kato DR set.

I have the 4 car version and would have liked the extension pair and a spare power car, but not at well over £200 all in.

I can see a lot of it being around for a long time.

Bernard

The amusing bit with auctions like this - just as on EBay but here with wider media courage - is that lots of folk hear about the prices which are being realised and thinks they'll have some of that with their/deceased relatives 'old trains'.   In some cases it might work (e,g HAG as Ivan noted earlier but in others it won't - the top bidder has already got what he wants and it all depends how far the under-bidder is prepared to go next time round and whether other buyers will have been put off by high prices.

The same will happen in the secondhand/Ebay market - where some of what was bought today is probably heading anyway - prices initially high but as soon as the top bidder is out of the running the price will start to drop as everybody else naturally has a lower limit.   And like Ivan I wouldn't be surprised if a lot has gone abroad because the low £ makes it a bargain zone for overseas buyers.  This could have an interesting effect tomorrow as very often US brass  steam outline locos don't seem to do as well at auction as one might expect.  In this case all the lots look to be in mint condition which will help prices (for the seller) but there's an awful lot of good stuff there and i wonder if the UK market can absorb it?

• RMweb Gold

Listening in, "UK Auctioneers" seem to buy a lot of stuff, presume they're going to turn around and flog it on eBay??? Just curious who "they" might be....

'UK auctioneers' are one of the online bidding companies so it is actually someone, or various someones, bidding via their website.  So you can reckon they will be paying in total over 20% more than the hammer price (without p&p for sending the stuff to them).

Listening in, "UK Auctioneers" seem to buy a lot of stuff, presume they're going to turn around and flog it on eBay??? Just curious who "they" might be....

I submitted all of my on-line bids through 'UK Auctioneers', although I didn't win anything because I wasn't willing to bid enough.  All that means is that it was an online bid rather than someone in the room.

Thanks guys, as I expected it was me "being thick" as I'd not watch/listened in to an auction before.

Must say some strange sales. Some of the US HO Brass, which I see in the only model shops here near me, went for astronomical prices then the very next lot, quite inexpensive. I KNOW it depends on the model, of course, but based on all those I watched there were definitely a lot of real bargains in US HO brass steam if that was your interest.

Also interesting prices on the Golden Age Pullmans. The brown/cream Brighton Belle selling for almost TWICE the amount the blue one went for, expected them to be closer together.

Oh well, most anything of remote interest to me sold yesterday and was/is available on eBay for same/better prices than I saw them sell for, so other than the entertainment value, was pretty much a "who cares" for me.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys, as I expected it was me "being thick" as I'd not watch/listened in to an auction before.

Must say some strange sales. Some of the US HO Brass, which I see in the only model shops here near me, went for astronomical prices then the very next lot, quite inexpensive. I KNOW it depends on the model, of course, but based on all those I watched there were definitely a lot of real bargains in US HO brass steam if that was your interest.

Also interesting prices on the Golden Age Pullmans. The brown/cream Brighton Belle selling for almost TWICE the amount the blue one went for, expected them to be closer together.

Oh well, most anything of remote interest to me sold yesterday and was/is available on eBay for same/better prices than I saw them sell for, so other than the entertainment value, was pretty much a "who cares" for me.

US brass prices tend to be quite low in UK auctions in my past experience, the shock for me was the price the Big Boy went for and I suspect there was basically a lot of 'uninformed' buying of brass in this auction with,, as you say, some very good bargains among the painted and liveried models.  One which surprised me was the low (I thought) price for the D&RGW O-M snow plough and one D&RGW heavily weathered loco was almost a giveaway price for what it is.

Another interesting thing is that there have been a number of Swiss narrow gauge models described as 'HO gauge' and several were slow to start so folk in the room obviously knew what was what then 'net bidders stepped in and up went the prices - but nowhere near what stuff listed as HOm has been fetching (although it is Lemaco and Ferro-Suisse so it's actually good prices compared to new). 

Overall very much the usual story I think with idiot bidding on the 'net pushing up prices where you don't expect it but on the other hand some stuff going for good prices simply because people haven't got a clue what it is.

I'd say it smashed it.  Day one alone made about £120,000 from totting up the hammer prices and I haven't looked at today's bids in any detail other than the ones that I lost out on, so I'd expect the final sale to be closer to £1/4 million.

It looks as though Lot 896 failed to sell, as UK Auctioneers doesn't list a hammer price for that particular Lot.  However, totting up the hammer price on the other 1350 lots that did sell gives an auction total of £231,470, which is well ahead of the initial expectations.  The first 699 Lots on day 1 sold for £121,275, with the second days hammer prices adding up to a further £110,195.  Over the two days, the auctioneers commission should therefore total £40,507, with VAT on top.

Hopefully all of the bidders are happy with their purchases.  The lowest hammer price seemed to be £15, with the highest being £1,250.  The average hammer price was £171.

It's made me realise that I need to catalogue what I have to make it easier to dispose of the stock that I do have.

• RMweb Gold

It looks as though Lot 896 failed to sell, as UK Auctioneers doesn't list a hammer price for that particular Lot.  However, totting up the hammer price on the other 1350 lots that did sell gives an auction total of £231,470, which is well ahead of the initial expectations.  The first 699 Lots on day 1 sold for £121,275, with the second days hammer prices adding up to a further £110,195.  Over the two days, the auctioneers commission should therefore total £40,507, with VAT on top.

Hopefully all of the bidders are happy with their purchases.  The lowest hammer price seemed to be £15, with the highest being £1,250.  The average hammer price was £171.

It's made me realise that I need to catalogue what I have to make it easier to dispose of the stock that I do have.

That £40,507 is just the buyers' commission (or premium if you prefer that word).  In addition the auctioneer will also be charging a seller's commission although I would presume they probably offered a very attractive rate in order to get the business so probably no more than 10% but it really depends on what competition they have in that neck of the woods.  Overall I think we can be reasonably sure that the auctioneer grossed at least £50,000 but that would be before their costs such as cataloguing, printing catalogues, webspace and overheads. All in all not a bad return, plus it will help them get more of this sort of business in the future.

However the executors of the estate won't be able to avoid having to put that lot down on the IHT declaration so the second biggest winner will probably be HMRC.

I think it is safe to say that the Executors of the Adler Estate are reasonably pleased.

And so are HMRC no doubt.

Over the two days, the auctioneers commission should therefore total £40,507, with VAT on top.

Actually the auctioneers take double that because they also charge the seller 17.5%, although they may do concessionary rates for high value items.

Brian

I'd say it smashed it. Day one alone made about £120,000 from totting up the hammer prices and I haven't looked at today's bids in any detail other than the ones that I lost out on, so I'd expect the final sale to be closer to £1/4 million.

An impressive figure but to paraphrase a frequent debate here, what did the collection cost to assemble? I.e. Has there been any genuine price appreciation?

Archived