Catford - PHOTOS RESTORED

Rich Papper

• Tempfix

Hello All

Just a small one update but progress being made. Have now ballasted the remaining station area - platform 1 (might be 2 - not sure!) and the stabling siding. The carriage platform is now glued in and there is a small bank behind that slopes slightly up to the buildings. These are resting in place at the moment waiting for me to do the interior for the car park and shop so they can be glued in and lighting connected. Will also add greenery to the embankment at that point - buddleia, brambles and the like. Platform surface has also had a couple of coats of paint, but not yet fixed pending working out where the wiring for lights needs to go.

CA310.jpg.b704930279922fe31d6ef0811c3b2435.jpg

May squeeze some advertising billboards in there somewhere. Probably as a way of procrastinating against third rail protection boards!

More soon hopefully.

Stay safe folks.
Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 14

11 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

May squeeze some advertising billboards in there somewhere. Probably as a way of procrastinating against third rail protection boards!

Rich,

There's always plenty of time for procrastination ... I'm doing the same with my ballasting!

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Tempfix

Hello All

Apologies for the long gap. I always think I'll have so much time over the summer to get layouting, but it always seems to disappear in a whirlwind of other jobs. A few pictures from a session in the room today just to prove that all is still extant and working.

43079 bursts from beneath Beckford Road bridge. The Hornby TTS sound in this pair is a bit deafening, but that puts it top of the draw for the small people.

CA312.jpg.628b4023ee8cf532bf210f65f441bc02.jpg

Rather mundane duties for 73101 as it leads an oil train off towards the hidden section where it will loop for a bit before re-emerging later.

CA311.jpg.2b2728cfa7463f69e8f9312e8e8ad1ff.jpg

Did manage to make a little progress between juggling the whims of small people. Installed a plinth to sit a Ratio concrete hut on. A bit fiddly to get level as the track on the left is descending and the stabling point on the right is on the level. Just been painted hence the shine. Will be the same sort of colour as the area behind when I've finished with it. Needs some ballast reinstating around it where it has flaked off too. Track here still awaiting some detailing. Plan is to start at the station end and work this way, but if I start fitting details here I may do it in reverse if I'm feeling inspired.

CA313.jpg.f0020973e360fb9036372be488dd6bf5.jpg

Hope everyone is well out there. Look after yourselves.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 18

• 1 month later...
  • Tempfix

Hello All,

Managed a bit of a running session today having been left at home to wait for a plumber (I drilled though a heating pipe - bad day!). Decided it was time to get the camera truck out. I like to do it now and again to watch back and a) see how different it looks to last time, and b) see if there are any details I could have added / not realised I missed. Spotted that I hadn't painted the bottom of the girder bridge this time.

So, first the usual trip around the loops:

Then the trip from the storage lines to the top. Definitely more detail up here compared to the last run:

A few running photos too - as for some reason there's not much stock about in the videos. First 58014 thundering around with a rake of HAAs. The last six of these is currently on the workbench coming together. Trying to figure out how to do flashing tail light in one as they go back together.

RMCA322.jpg.552dff8212904ba8c17ed52ba2025d30.jpg

Then 47573 on a 'Network Express'.

RMCA323.jpg.28642d6e016c491bc909d3e341b43587.jpg

This rake now also fitted with the West Hill Wagon Works magnetic couplings. Pretty happy with these so far - quite close.

RMCA324.jpg.72cce3be3e8ec8be1426649f05cdad3b.jpg

Hopefully more scenery soon. Tend to get more done over the winter as can't paint rolling stock out in the shed.

Stay safe folks.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Forgot how to embed video!
  • Like 16

• Tempfix
On 26/10/2021 at 22:12, rob D2 said:

Nice.

I like the from the cab type view 

On 27/10/2021 at 19:14, sb67 said:

Love the drivers eye view :good:

Thanks both. A Branor Systems Camtruck is the tool for this job (available here) - the usual: no connection, satisfied customer. I spotted someone using one at a show once. There are alternatives where you can stream a live camera to a nearby monitor - I think either Roco or Marklin do an electric loco with the camera hidden in the cab - but I've never seen one with as good a picture as this.

97201 on the back for this trip.

RMCA325.jpg.543b2e68f34b9444307e9d89fceea0e1.jpg

Records on a MicroSD card and then plugs into the computer with USB cable to download afterwards. 

Really does focus the mind on the detail (or lack of!) from this angle.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Tempfix

Hello Folks

So, New Years Resolutions.

1. For the layout - want to get another area fully scenic'd. Really want to work on the upper level station - and REALLY need to keep it tidier! Order of business here is to sort the backing for the car park, and the window display for the supermarket as these can then both be wired in. When done I can do the ground cover around the carriage siding platform, then put together a platform building / canopy, and the platform details. Also need to add third rail here, ideally with side-protection boards. Want to get all of this done before I start on the DMU depot on the lower level so I'm detailing from the back to the front and not knocking anything. Station building can wait as that is more easily accessible.

2. Rolling stock - need to get the rest of the 50s sorted, with 50007 a priority before I lose any of it's bits. Then want to weather some engineers stock as I have an odd mix of weathered and not. Coaching: will continue to fit the West Hill Wagon Works couplings within rakes of stock as these seem to work quite well and make it quicker to get things on and off when needed. Hopefully 13575 and some new Accurascale Mk2bs will allow me to sort out another NSE rake. Intention is to fit lighting to this and the Mk1 Thames rake.

3. Skills - would like to have a go at airbrushing with acrylics - just because I never have and it might speed a few things up. I have been amassing some supplies to give it a go on the track weathering on the upper level to get me started, but hopefully have some colours that might help a bit of wagon weathering too.

RMCA327.jpg.6adf79e37ef513fbcca35f8c23a9d9e4.jpg

There, written it. Have to do it now then.

Happy New Year folks.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 7

• Rich Papper changed the title to Catford - PHOTOS RESTORED
  • Tempfix

10 months on! In fairness some pretty major house jobs been going on. Apologies for the gap though - time to start getting back to business. First job has been to go back through he thread and reinstate all the missing photos. Hopefully all done now, although can't put in any other people have added.

Some rolling stock on the table, hopefully updates coming soon.

Rich

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Tempfix

So as for the New Years resolutions:

1. Scenic work has started again on the top level. The car park is currently on my desk awaiting the rear printing. Have rummaged around and found some old cars to populate it with. A few HO but won't be noticeable once inside and at the back.

2. Rolling stock. A few bits currently underway. The 50s did all get back together, albeit with the new buffer steps lasting about 1 show before one of them snapped off - etched next time I think. OR is due out next weekend to Taunton so some fettling underway. Not got an eta on the Accurascale Mk2bs yet, so the only bit ready for that rake is the 2D.

3. Have had a sort through paints. Have a range of acrylics to get a bit of weathering done after the Taunton show. Also intending to get some wagons lined up for treatment this winter.

A bit of running to warm things up for next weekend. 119 looping at the moment.

CA323.jpg.7e2a9bbf5966c6e1d579a046451ad64b.jpg

Hopefully catching up now. Barely had access to the room the layout is in for most of this year, but despite no experience whatsoever I have fitted a kitchen.

Went quite well considering. Don't think I'm going to be a carpenter though. Or a plumber. Or a tiler. Or an electrician.

Rich

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • Tempfix

Good Afternoon All,

A few updates. Been fettling the building end of the stabling platform on the upper level. Realised that there would be no access from the building to the platform without a door opening out onto it, and no access to the land behind it, so have added a set of steps in lieu of one of the sections of platform. Painting in progress.

CA328.jpg.7848328d368c7ae5e322e7de8b3aebd4.jpg

A bit of running too. Picked up a new VEA at the Cheltenham show last month.

CA329.jpg.5946db9c7dc9e94e3e5b0fc0860c4d05.jpg

This set has now been fitted with hunt couplings. The medium length seems to work well with these.

CA330.jpg.a9b135a0c8b02b6396b05e68be790be4.jpg

And a few 50s. No reason. Just 50s.

CA331.jpg.9c1ad3d7de2acb415e78eea323e31783.jpg

Trying to make a Warley shopping list too.

More soon.

Rich

• Like 18

• Tempfix
23 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

I'm liking the steps Rich which seems spot on to me

I just noticed your rather nice "Reading" destination blinds. Are these of your making or available elsewhere?

Cheers

Will

Thanks Will. The destination blinds are just something I knocked up on the computer. The steps to illuminating them are on my workbench thread - if I've linked to the right bit, here: 

I've attached the Word file here below if of any use to anyone. There are a variety of sizes - I just did a few to see which would come out clearest given how tiny they are. Legibility might depend on your printer.

Rich

DMU Destination Blinds.docx

Edited by Rich Papper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Rich Papper said:

Thanks Will. The destination blinds are just something I knocked up on the computer. The steps to illuminating them are on my workbench thread - if I've linked to the right bit, here: 

I've attached the Word file here below if of any use to anyone. There are a variety of sizes - I just did a few to see which would come out clearest given how tiny they are. Legibility might depend on your printer.

Rich

DMU Destination Blinds.docx 21.49 kB · 3 downloads

Awesome! 

Thanks - I'll have to dig out my old ink jet printer and print some off!

Cheers

Will

• Tempfix

Good Evening All

A bit more car park progress tonight. Have been fitting details to it ready to install and wire in.

First was a selection of old cars black-tacked in. Some HO scale found in an old box, some sacrificed to the razor saw to get into the narrower gap at the end. Didn't want too many as plan is to light it up at night, so feeling is it should be more empty than full. Had to get a couple of the old Hornby Triumph's in there.

CA332.jpg.dbadc6d5391a8a28b3152eff56fbfc94.jpg

Then a few details added from the Scalescenes T035 car park kit. I really like the Scalescenes kits - very good just for the detailing. In this case some lift doors, signs and ticket machines. Will hardly be visible but I'll know they are there.

CA333.jpg.b01a19d389811b49d93ca48414bd0547.jpg

Then four panels on the back to block off the existing backscene that otherwise shows through. I had a trawl online to find pictures of the inside of multi-storey car parks. A bit frightening how many websites are devoted to this - but difficult to get ones to the right perspective and angle. In the end I chose four images, cropped them and then printed them in a different order for each panel. Note the shortened cars!

CA334.jpg.fd0c722c86fd7de5033907503b0e3b83.jpg

View from the front. It's only really visible close to, and it's on the upper level of a board that's 3 feet deep and 4 1/2 feet off the floor to begin with. I'm interested to see how it looks with the lights on, but haven't had the chance to wire it up yet. It has yellow LED strips that will be considerably dimmed. I did have the presence of mind to print it on matt paper rather than photo paper as I thought this might reflect shiny patches that would look odd.

CA335.jpg.8c4411c8e09e77d0aeaa1f9d6f0d0fc1.jpg

Hopefully get it back in place in the next day or so and then add some details to the supermarket next to it. When that is done I'll have the board out to add all the lighting connections.

Also noted that Thing 1 has been running this:

CA336.jpg.22f729b2feb6390507a952503effc261.jpg

Maybe he knows something about the weather that I don't.

He's madly excited for Warley. Need to do a shopping list tomorrow to try to reign his spending of my money in a bit!

Rich

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 months later...
  • Tempfix

Hello All

A small running session tonight while trying to tidy the room. Its rather too full of other bits of the house at the moment as I'm supposed to be decorating. Was quite nice to be running a few things as not had the chance for a while.

Main reason was this chap of course:

CA338.jpg.6ba25c0874bf1458a7c8269eccdbe438.jpg

Couldn't let the 100th birthday pass without a chance for a run. Not the most recent model - this one dates from the late 1980s - but great sentimental value. It belonged to a dear friend of mine who was sadly lost to the world at quite a young age. He passed me this and a Smoky Joe when his mobility no longer allowed him to use them and we've kept them going ever since. It runs brilliantly for it's age - happily romping around the room with as many coaches as one can hang on it. The second tender was a recent build at the request of my son (the Thomas version has two!). Most of the LNER teak coaches behind were a birthday present to me when I turned 3. Not as detailed as the more recent teak offerings, but always smooth running and very close coupled.

CA337.jpg.84c34b2fc6d888ecbb14d985424db9b9.jpg

New Bachmann 47 out and about tonight as well. Still haven't fitted the detail bits, but on the list. A bit of a large logo line-up at the stabling point.

Look after yourselves folks.

Happy Birthday FS.

Rich

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

An unexpected, and quite emotional return this week. This chap:

CA339.jpg.3461024a3630350a1a3fbc3e2bafd041.jpg

Long story short: lost my father about 20 years ago at a young age, his closest friend was a huge fan of a Black 5. At the funeral I gave him this, that I had received from my father as a birthday present, to remember him and our trips on the NYMR together. A couple of months ago we sadly lost him too. Quite out of the blue his widow presented me with the loco back at his funeral.

Very emotional. Very special. There seemed only one fitting thing to do: full service, DCC chipped and she's running again. My son already loves it and wants to see a real one.

Isn't it funny what powerful emotions such simple things as these can bring.

Rich

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Rich Papper said:

Very emotional. Very special. There seemed only one fitting thing to do: full service, DCC chipped and she's running again. My son already loves it and wants to see a real one.

Rich

Thanks for sharing, glad your son likes it. 
Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Yes it is. I have my Fathers model trains following his passing. Some he built from kits after I left home, but others are 'just' Tri-ang. I remember the times we spent together operating them. Each model has an attachment now that is very powerful. Even just handling those red boxes during our recent house move, I could still smell the motors and the oil burnt to create smoke on those early Tri-angs. I am straight back to the early 1970's.

I think the BBC s Repair Shop has hit the emotional connection with everyday objects square on.

No doubt your son is starting on the emotional attachment route. He just won't know it yet. Enjoy.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Tempfix
On 12/03/2023 at 08:32, Fishplate said:

Yes it is. I have my Fathers model trains following his passing. Some he built from kits after I left home, but others are 'just' Tri-ang. I remember the times we spent together operating them. Each model has an attachment now that is very powerful. Even just handling those red boxes during our recent house move, I could still smell the motors and the oil burnt to create smoke on those early Tri-angs. I am straight back to the early 1970's.

I think the BBC s Repair Shop has hit the emotional connection with everyday objects square on.

No doubt your son is starting on the emotional attachment route. He just won't know it yet. Enjoy.

I still have all of my fathers. Probably always will have. Some have been DCC'd and run regularly, others just sit happily in the display case. In many cases there are now more modern versions of the same thing, but I'm completely happy with them as they are.

Not sure if my son knows what he's onto yet or not - but I have just had to pick up some stock boxes from Modeller's Mecca as his stock seems to be multiplying!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That black 5 is really nice. And I totally agree about the smell of oil and motors, I've some 80s Hornby that were my Grandfathers, totally can still remember him when they are running. I've not chipped any, so unfortunately I only run them at my railway club, but they won't be going anywhere.