RMweb

D3193 withdrawel in 1967

18B

Mark,

given that no other 08 was withdrawn until 1972, FIVE years later, I would suggest that there was a very specific reason as to why this particular 08 was withdrawn so early...........

Posted Today, 00:15

Incidentally did the 08s built without train brakes get withdrawn early or did they get train brakes?

They were the first Class 08s withdrawn after, 3193.

four were withdrwan in May 1972. the other six by the end of 1972

• RMweb Gold

All of Class 10 and Class 11 went between 1967 and 1972.

10s and 11s were different animals, 10s were 08 type locomotives with Blackstone engines while 11s were locomotives built to an LMS design with smaller wheels but the same engine as an 08 but again no train brake

So the 11s started to be withdrawn the same time as the first 08s
Did any of the no train brake 08a carry TOPS numbers

a very few of the class made it into 1972, 12109 and 120110 were the last two withdrawn in November while in May 1972 four further 08s had been withdrawn, si a very small overlap....

Posted Today, 00:34

18B, on 16 Jan 2017 - 00:04, said:snapback.png

Mark,

given that no other 08 was withdrawn until 1972, FIVE years later, I would suggest that there was a very specific reason as to why this particular 08 was withdrawn so early...........

Monetary Limits means whatever was wrong was not worth the cost of the repairs!

that's not the point you were making though, you mentioned traffic reductions and line closures,

• RMweb Gold

First Class 11 withdrawel was May 1967

The first time I went to Saltley - 1968 IIRC - there were several Class 11s stored in the roundhouse  - low numbered examples awaiting withdrawal and a tow to Cashmores

Others were still active around Brum for a while afterwards - 12112 for example which had been a Hornsey loco at one time.

They always seemed a bit special compared to the run of the mill 08s

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember reading somewhere about the "great shunter cull of 1967" where BR decided to standardise on class 03 and 08 and dispose of non-standard designs. Many after this date were sold for Industrial service, including 12136 which was a common sighting when travelling through South Yorkshire en route to York in the mid 1970s.

One of the ICRS publications that I lost over the years was "BR locos in industrial service", an excellent account of surviving ex BR shunters, published around 1975. The title may be different, that was what I remember it being called.

Still no clues on D3193 though, but if accident damaged would have been cut quickly. I suppose in 1967 with the mood to dispose of a massive shunter fleet, non-economic repairs to class 08s were the reason.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

From BRdatabase, last allocation Shrewsbury, broken up 1 September 1967, apparently before officially withdrawn !

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=3193&loco=13193

Neil

D3193 Wdn 09/1967 from 6D Chester Northgate and cut-up 09/1967 Derby Works. Maybe it had collision damage and was sent to Derby Works for assessment and subsequently Withdrawn & Scrapped? 

• RMweb Premium

Just had a look in "The Allocation History of BR Diesel & Electrics" by Roger Harris, he quotes:-

D3193 Wdn 16/09/1967, sent to BR Derby Works (ZE) 25/08/1967 and Cut Up by 08/10/1967 which confirms it was Withdrawn after reaching BR Derby Works.