Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Have you ever built a model, knowing that it'll never be accurate?

For my tuppenceworth, any lacking information should be made up with practicable engineering design. Perhaps not derived with shear force and bending moment calcs, but allowances made.

Using the op as an example, given the known dimensions of engine and transmission components of the era, the general layout can be deduced, fuel tank designed and positioned, chassis rails drawn on etc etc.

Why does every thread have to descend into oneupmanship about scale and gauge?

I do hope all the finescale modellers have correct length track as well as correct width. And the sports hall to fit your station.

A scale mile in 4mm scale takes up nearly 70 feet. Yet many modellers, including finescale ones, try to cram that mile into 10 foot or so.

It's all a compromise.

Jason

when i was more active building model cars, i used to work myself up to the point where my hobby time became solely research time - and almost to the exclusion of ever assembling anything.

then i read a comment which seemed to free my self imposed chains: are you building a model, or are you building a replica?

to me, the former represents something with a greater degree of freedom and interpretation for the final result, while the latter a rather cut and dry step by step process which i quickly tired.

it helped get me off dead center on numerous occasions.

when i was more active building model cars, i used to work myself up to the point where my hobby time became solely research time - and almost to the exclusion of ever assembling anything.

then i read a comment which seemed to free my self imposed chains: are you building a model, or are you building a replica?

to me, the former represents something with a greater degree of freedom and interpretation for the final result, while the latter a rather cut and dry step by step process which i quickly tired.

it helped get me off dead center on numerous occasions.

The ability is to strike a balance between research and building!

I now find making sense of the research will take up a lot of time!

Mark Saunders

Archived