Hornby class 31 modifications

here is mine which I have now renumbered to D5822, headcode 6E16 Walton to Tinsley freight,driver and secondman added, bufferbeam pipework done just needs large pipe to the right of coupling, converted to EM gauge using existing wheels.

Just needs slight weathering now.

post-27-0-95618800-1397048577_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Abbotswood needs some more 31 power - we want to create this loco in this condition

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6260137555/in/set-72157627773064944

Know Brush Veteran in on this thread and hope you wont mind the link Graeme!

So what we need is a skinhead body - 31111 should be a good starting point but  is refurbished - so nose doors plated and body side strip removed

We could start with a 31/0 - but that lacks the engine room door grille and has the wrong exhausts

Wonder if anyone else has gone down a similar road and could give some pointers please?

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil. using 31111 as your starting point, you can use plasticard for the body side strip without too much drama. Craftsman do a conversion set for the Lima 31 (DK37) which includes the doors which I noticed on Howes site. (Although I haven't seen it I see no reason why it wouldn't work with the Hornby 31.)

The major stumbling block as I see it would be the body side steps- I don't know if anyone does those. I would say that it is possible to make them, but would be a pain.

Hi folks

Abbotswood needs some more 31 power - we want to create this loco in this condition

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6260137555/in/set-72157627773064944

Know Brush Veteran in on this thread and hope you wont mind the link Graeme!

So what we need is a skinhead body - 31111 should be a good starting point but  is refurbished - so nose doors plated and body side strip removed

We could start with a 31/0 - but that lacks the engine room door grille and has the wrong exhausts

Wonder if anyone else has gone down a similar road and could give some pointers please?

Cheers

Phil

My Lima 'banger blue' 31 004 has the engine room door grilles, as per a photo in one of Brian Haresnape's Fleet Survey series (number 1, I think). It also has the Mirrlees style exhausts, as you mention - 

this means that it should not be numbered as a class 31!!

I am considering renumbering it as one of the blue star series 'skinheads', pre-TOPS.

If you can get one of the Lima bodies, it may be a good starting point, with a little detailing.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks folks

The absence of the steps - and the plating over of what I assume is the boiler water filler - had passed me by, good job they got a mention!

So will that Lima body go on the Hornby Chassis?

Cheers

Phil

.....So will that Lima body go on the Hornby Chassis?

Cheers

Phil

I have a Lima body fitted to a centre motored Hornby chassis - pretty much fell on....

Don't think anyone's metioned the Airfix body - does that meet your requirements?

That's good news!

Did the Airfix body come in disc headcode configuration? - 5528 is a skinhead

Cheers

Phil

No it didn't Phil, I remember getting the file and filler out to create 31461 from the ubiquitous 31401. 

• RMweb Gold

Theres a D5500 on ebay at the mo

As far as we have got then that will need the zorsts doing - and it looks like the body side stripe is just a paint job rather than a raised moulding so that's back to the plasticard strip - oh and flush glazing too

That all sounds well within the modelling capabilities of churchdown works!

Thanks folks - watch this space for progress in a few weeks, have some more layout work to do but theres a magazine photographer coming on 10th July and this might look nice on the Malago Vale vans......

Phil

I have a Lima body fitted to a centre motored Hornby chassis - pretty much fell on....

Actually, I should clarify a little...

Some of the Lima glazing had to come out, although I intend to flushglaze so not really any great loss.

Also the Hornby has working fans, but the Lima body has moulded roof grills so there was little point in leaving these fitted...

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

The Lima D5500 is as presevered, no cowling around buffer beam, so you will need a Hornby model with this feature. The Lima model has a rasied body band, just checked my own one. Look at the ebay photo around the cab you can just make out the raised band on the outer corners.It will need hand rails on the front, and lamp irons.

If you use the Hornby Green Toffee Apple, you will need to add the grilles to the doors. drill a hole, file it square, add some mirostrip to a backing sheet of plastic card, Bobs your uncle. It will need the body band added.

The amount of work is about the same, with the Hornby opition you do not need to buy a Lima loco :boast:

If you intend to go down the Lima road and do not "win" D5500, then keep an eye open for blue grey roof 31 019, it has all the body features you require.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Or the Cheltenham show!!!

But heres where we have got to.

post-7138-0-26937900-1418241766_thumb.jpg

20 minutes in superstrip removed everything including the rather persistent lower white body line from this D5511

post-7138-0-42773800-1418241805_thumb.jpg

Engine room door louvred panels required. Body side grilles on Mainline warship body shell the correct number of louvres so rather pleased with these - they have gone in well

post-7138-0-33640800-1418241892_thumb.jpg

Original Mirlees zorsts are wrong - easiest answer to replace entire roof panel with one from EE engine loco, amny thanks to Muddy Blues for this one. A bit of filler needed.

And finally the waist level body side rib - started this prior to stripping but not surprisingly lost some of my work in the stripping process but the thinnest microstrip looks like it will do the job

So a bit more tidying required before priming, including repairs to the chassis-induced cab cracks that caused this locos original demise.

One of several projects on the go this winter!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

If it is of any help, I modernised my D5512 gradually. Firstly, I painted the cab surrounds green to match the rest of the body paintwork. I renumbered it to D5513 (mainly to avoid a number clash with my earlier two-digit DCC system!) as well as adding the numbers to all of the cabsides (the Hornby model correctly represents their very early status with numbers at one end only).

I decided I didn't really want to repaint the stripes from eggshell blue so have tolerated the compromise involved. I next added small yellow warning panels, not forgetting to repaint some of the folded discs.

Finally, I added a bit of weathering, mainly to the underframe, bogies and roof areas.

I am happy with the result.

Mine also has sound installed, using the Howes Mirrlees class 30 sounds. I do have a video of it demonstrating the sounds in the DCC Sound area of the forums, showing the locomotive before I added the yellow panels, if that is of any interest.

EDIT: Addendum: I added the red circle coupling codes above the buffers too, to complete the trransformation.

Just discovered this thread very interesting, as i want to do a mid 60s disc loco in green. Was it only toffee apples that had no bodyside grilles?

also where did howes get the sound to make a mirlees sound chip? A mate of mine who was at the cross in the 60s says that they were a lot more thoaty than the EE engine

• RMweb Gold

Hi Russ

This picture of a 31 on acceptance trials in 1959

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.enefer/spalding/D5546%20Spalding.jpg

Certainly has the engine room door grilles. So don't quote me but was it that the 31/0s acquired them when they were re-engine and 31/1s were built with them?

As for Howes their web site states the 31/0 sound files were created from archive recordings.

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Think this deserves to be in this thread

It certainly does Michael - many thanks - and seems to support the conjecture that 31/1s were built with the door louvres

Phil

PS Cracking shot of the Mirlees zorst ports in the closing shot!

• RMweb Premium

It must have been when they introduced the 1365bhp engine that they started fitting grilles.

Cracking photo at Spalding, strange place to take one for a test run mind

Hi Russ

Loughborough to Doncaster works, ex GCR line. Doncaster Works to Spalding (or possibly March) on the GER/GNR joint line. This line was well used in the sixties but there would have been more slack in the timetable than most routes from Doncaster.

• RMweb Gold

It certainly does Michael - many thanks - and seems to support the conjecture that 31/1s were built with the door louvresPhilPS Cracking shot of the Mirlees zorst ports in the closing shot!

Brilliant film, especially the pre international Harwich. Not sure what the Brush engineers would have made of the driver cranking the engine before priming it!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Russ

Loughborough to Doncaster works, ex GCR line. Doncaster Works to Spalding (or possibly March) on the GER/GNR joint line. This line was well used in the sixties but there would have been more slack in the timetable than most routes from Doncaster.

That makes sense forgot a lot of stuff went to Donny before acceptance

• RMweb Gold

It must have been when they introduced the 1365bhp engine that they started fitting grilles.

Cracking photo at Spalding, strange place to take one for a test run mind

That would also make sense Russ - and didn't that engine get uprated to 1660 hp (Wouldn't that be a Brush Type 3?) and even 2000 hp in D5835 - to make it the first Brush type 4?

No wonder they failed!!!!

Phil

Archived