Steam and overhead power lines question

mswjr

• RMweb Gold

Another problem when working steam locos under the wires is that we're not allowed to bring coal forward...usually we use a long handled prong thing with the tines turned through ninety degrees but obviously waving that around at 75mph with 25 kv not too far away is not a good idea.

Also wetting the coal down with the pep pipe is not the done thing either.

That video of Mallard was in the 1980's, well before the 1994 you quoted. I particularly chose that clip as Mallard's last run was considerably before 1994, so that there could be no doubt about the proof.

Edit: More proof, Lion running under the wires in 1980!

https://youtu.be/oH7OTYgM3WU?t=119

Must be the oldest loco to run mainline under OLE!

That was the era I was on about. I saw a few steam specials around the North West at that time including between Liverpool and Manchester.

it was common for steam locomotives to run under the wires and then there was a sudden stop not long after Rocket 150. I was always lead to believe it was due to damage caused by a locomotive blowing off whilst stationary. But I can't find any evidence of that at present. I heard from a driver that there was an unofficial ban afterwards.

This was the same time that someone decided to put a Black Five on a freight working at Northwich. Unofficially of course.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I don't now have it as I passed it on to the HMRS but a booklet for staff was issued when the first stage of the West Coast electrification was inaugurated. It had quite a lot of restrictions and listed places where various things could be done under the wires and where they could not. Climbing onto tenders was certainly mentioned as was use of fire irons and taking water.

Jonathan

Archived