Early Crest to Late Crest - Livery changes ?

An important variation on green BR Standard tender locos that might be of interest:  From 1957, Swindon painted a single orange line along the lower edge of the running plate of Class 4 and 5 4-6-0's. Eastleigh painted orange lines top and bottom on these locos exactly as on the Pacifics. 

Source :  Pictorial record of British Railways Standard Steam locos by Talbot (OPC) and 'Railway Liveries BR Steam 1948-1968' By Haresnape (IA).

David, some of the p&p 64xx were repainted green.

I forgot these - remembered early this morning....   :(   

Which locos received green, new emblems etc. and when is a minefield. A dated photo is the only sure reference. Even then, a layer of dirt can look like green in a monochrome photograph.

e.g.  (slightly off topic, but relevant IMHO.)

'Steam locomotives of British Railways' by H.C. Casserley* has a picture of 69596 (the Dublo LNER loco) in early BR days lettered 'BRITISH RAILWAYS'. She appears to be green - there is a definite difference in tone between the smoke box and the rest, but is this the case or is just a lighting effect? I understand the only N2 to be repainted green was 9522 (which is on the previous page).

* This useful book has photos of all the classes in existence on 1/1/48, though the dates obviously spread over quite a wide range.

If I was correctly informed, all the Western Region's green Standard 5s were repainted at Eastleigh, not Swindon, which was far too busy with diesel hydraulics at the time. 

Don't know about the 3MT tanks other than that several got green paint but no lining - which definitely sounds more like an in-house WR job.

John

At least one Standard 5 got a fresh coat of green at Derby in the 1960s (must ahave been 1962 or '63). I spent most of one lunch time (it was dinner time in those days) watching a painter doing the tender lining with chalked string lines and lining brush.

Source - my own eyes.

Also be aware that not all locomotives received the later identity. As always use photographs of your chosen prototype if possible.

Photo of USA tank 30069 still with earlier crest in 1966 which it kept until withdrawal in 1967.

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/usa_01.html

Jason

Yes, there is a photo of BR 3MT tank (82003) taken in 1966 at Hayfield station, which is lined green and has the old cycling lion emblem.

I was told by someone who visited Barry scrap yard early on that a few locos still had the old crest though he didn't say which ones, I'll ask next time I see him.

My own interest was peaked when I read that Scot, 'Cameronian' (our local regiment) still had the old crest on withdrawal in the early/mid 60s but it was newly overhauled in 56 so other locos may be the same.

Dave Franks

Yes, there is a photo of BR 3MT tank (82003) taken in 1966 at Hayfield station, which is lined green and has the old cycling lion emblem.

I did wonder what work they did when they were transferred to Manchester are after leaving the Cambrian Coast. I saw one in carriage sidings as we approached the city in 1965 and it was obvious it was not receiving the kind of treatment it had been used to on the Western.

Archived