Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Oxford N7

Looks fantastic, wouldnt mind an underside picture to see what i can do with that coupling...

Seconded. Give me something to think about while waiting for the barky to come in.

Realistically, the front mounting looks irretrievable as it is so far forward (however I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised) but the rear might be amenable to my crude 'crop the pocket short, make corresponding reduction in coupler prongs' butchery.

• Like 1

Ever get the feeling that Hornby and Oxford are having a private competition to see who can make their coupling stick out the furthest? It's as daft as young kids seeing who can stick their tongues out farthest! :scratchhead:  A seriously beautiful looking model, but that coupling is just utterly ridiculous!

• RMweb Gold

I like to be traditional when it comes to couplings, bars, wires etc dont do it for me at speed, though this is hardly a racehorse.

I’m wondering the options for Dapol screw fit NEM coupling set under the chassis plate... but without seeing it i dont know why it would be protuding so much in the first place...

Not much longer to wait.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Realistically, the front mounting looks irretrievable as it is so far forward (however I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised) 

Where there's a will there's (usually) a way!

Ever get the feeling that Hornby and Oxford are having a private competition to see who can make their coupling stick out the furthest?...

I would put it down to inexperience in the design shop. What we don't know is how much guidance is available to the product design people (person?) regarding proven options to meet the standard for coupler positioning.

There's precedent for this less than stellar coupler pocket - and thus coupler - malpositioning, and aspects to see from three longer established OO manufacturers.

Bachmann were all over the shop on their first Blue Riband introductions - which was when we first saw the NEM design of coupler pocket on UK models - and it took some years for them to get it consistently right on new introductions.

Hornby took rather longer to get with the programme, but when the coupler pocket was introduced to their product then executed decently while with Sanda Kan, suggesting to me that at that time they did the research so that the designers were up to speed.

Heljan - an established HO manufacturer! - don't consistently position coupler pockets reliably in line with the NEM standard to this day, based on my limited sampling of their product range.

Per Steve Pearce above, hey ho, I have the will, and will find a way to a tidier solution.

• Like 1

Go on Doug you know you want one. And the wallet will survive.

Glad you enjoyed TW in Sydney.  Manfred asked me, but just the timing, etc was out.

BRMA meeting at my place in a couple of weeks.

Mark

• Like 1

Here's a few quick pics of the BR version taken at the Swansea Show on Sunday.

Thank you again for the pictures of the BR version. Probably thanks to the less unusual livery, I don’t seem able to drag my eyes away from the couplings. Did the designer wake up in the middle of the night screaming, “Buffer lock!”?

That BR one looks super. Are these the same pre-production samples that were doing the rounds previously? The smoke box numbers are still printed on rather than on a plate, and the cab side numbers look quite dark. Won’t stop me from buying one however!

Edited by NXEA!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That BR one looks super. Are these the same pre-production samples that were doing the rounds previously? The smoke box numbers are still printed on rather than on a plate, and the cab side numbers look quite dark. Won’t stop me from buying one however!

And the numbers aren't in a straight line.  Hope these are not production samples. 

And the numbers aren't in a straight line.  Hope these are not production samples.

On the smokebox door the bottom of the lamp iron is obscuring part of the number below it, making it look wonky.

The numbers on the real thing weren't always in a straight line. If you look at this picture of 60045 Lemberg at Darlington you will see the 4 and the 5 on the cabside droop- there are better (copyrighted) pics showing this.

post-13358-0-36984700-1539034932_thumb.jpg

The Dapol A3 correctly rendered the wonky cabside number - but didn't they get it in the neck for it.......

Les

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

'LNER Six-Coupled Tank Locomotives 1948-68' by Eric Sawford has a photograph of N7 69617 on the front cover, repeated also on page 44. The 9 is EXACTLY as appears in SDJR7F88's photos at post 487 above, so it looks like a case of model replicating the real locomotive. But curious, nevertheless!

Eric Sawford's photo of 69617 was taken on 21 August 1957 at Cambridge, and the N7 it is in BR early emblem, as in the photos of Oxford Rail's model above.

John Storey

The flowerpot chimney, dome and safety valves still appear to be too tall on the BR version. I can't see Oxford correcting those now.  It will be interesting to get measurements of their actual heights on the model.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29

The flowerpot chimney, dome and safety valves still appear to be too tall on the BR version. I can't see Oxford correcting those now.  It will be interesting to get measurements of their actual heights on the model.

Andrew

Would it be worth seeing if Alan Gibson does some white metal castings for the N7? Then modelers could replace the Chimney, Dome & Safety Valves.

I have a question myself on both the GER & LNER variations it appears as if there are 2 whistles either side of the safety valves. Have looked through books I cannot find any N7 following this. But I have found some N7s with Whistles on either Driver or Fireman's side of the locomotive. What I am wondering is are there such photo's and I assume modelers will have to remove one of these whistles 

Edited by Norton Wood

‘Probably’ - as no design work has been done yet - we’ve only just got the etches for the J15 chassis - there is no reason why not. I’m in favour and I’m paying for it!

Just picked up on this and am very interested.  I have a SE Finecast chassis set aside for mine, but it's hardly state of the art.  Will you be designing the chassis to be sprung and, if so, leaf springing or CSBs?

Bob

Just picked up on this and am very interested.  I have a SE Finecast chassis set aside for mine, but it's hardly state of the art.  Will you be designing the chassis to be sprung and, if so, leaf springing or CSBs?

Bob

It will be the same format as the F4/5/6 and J15 chassis - a fold up main assembly with CSB as the prime means of suspension. Of course it can be built rigid and ‘some’ consideration will be given to EM gauge, but as it is still in the very early planning stage I cannot commit to more. Once I get my hands on an Oxford product we can get more specific. Don’t expect anything this year and probably not until the summer of ‘19. I hope to be able to ‘fit’ it to the SE Finecast and Connoisseur kits too but its prime function is intended as a P4 conversion to the Oxford model. I am also hoping Andrew Jukes will release the GER 4’ 10” wheels once again to suit this and the J15.

• Like 1

Would it be worth seeing if Alan Gibson does some white metal castings for the N7? Then modelers could replace the Chimney, Dome & Safety Valves.

I have a question myself on both the GER & LNER variations it appears as if there are 2 whistles either side of the safety valves. Have looked through books I cannot find any N7 following this. But I have found some N7s with Whistles on either Driver or Fireman's side of the locomotive. What I am wondering is are there such photo's and I assume modelers will have to remove one of these whistles

SE Finecast already produce these for their kit. I understand they are available as spares. The ones I have are pretty good - not up to the old brass J&M ones, but who has those any more? Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 1

It will be the same format as the F4/5/6 and J15 chassis - a fold up main assembly with CSB as the prime means of suspension. Of course it can be built rigid and ‘some’ consideration will be given to EM gauge, but as it is still in the very early planning stage I cannot commit to more. Once I get my hands on an Oxford product we can get more specific. Don’t expect anything this year and probably not until the summer of ‘19. I hope to be able to ‘fit’ it to the SE Finecast and Connoisseur kits too but its prime function is intended as a P4 conversion to the Oxford model. I am also hoping Andrew Jukes will release the GER 4’ 10” wheels once again to suit this and the J15.

Thanks for the information. Your design philosophy appears set so I am not going to try and persuade you away from CSBs, much as I'd like to.  I am not aware of the F4/5/6 and J15 designs as I am modelling GNR rather GER so do understand that what you are doing is along the lines of the Brassmasters P4 conversions which retain the RTR chassis?  I was hoping that a fold-up chassis may have few or no stretchers and might allow me to apply leaf springs fairly easily, but not if the RTR chassis is in the way.  In which case I will use what you provide.    What arrangement will you make for the trailing truck - will this have any form of springing?  I have a set of Sharman P4 drivers secreted away, having prised them out of Fox a few years ago, but the Exacto wheels will be superior and I think the omens are good that they will become available in due course.

• Like 1

I have a question myself on both the GER & LNER variations it appears as if there are 2 whistles either side of the safety valves. Have looked through books I cannot find any N7 following this. But I have found some N7s with Whistles on either Driver or Fireman's side of the locomotive. What I am wondering is are there such photo's and I assume modelers will have to remove one of these whistles 

As stated above SE Finecast already have these in their kit so that is the logical place to go for replacements.  Back in the 80s I revamped my old Wills N7 (originally my 16th birthday present from my parents) into an LNER built one  - moved the cab windows to the rear, round-top firebox, revamped bunker and cab roof. I actually made a flowerpot chimney for that.

As to the whistles - of course there should only be one - to me it looks like GE built ones had it on the right for right hand drive and LNER built versions on the left for left hand drive.

Andrew 

Thanks for the information. Your design philosophy appears set so I am not going to try and persuade you away from CSBs, much as I'd like to.  I am not aware of the F4/5/6 and J15 designs as I am modelling GNR rather GER so do understand that what you are doing is along the lines of the Brassmasters P4 conversions which retain the RTR chassis?  I was hoping that a fold-up chassis may have few or no stretchers and might allow me to apply leaf springs fairly easily, but not if the RTR chassis is in the way.  In which case I will use what you provide.    What arrangement will you make for the trailing truck - will this have any form of springing?  I have a set of Sharman P4 drivers secreted away, having prised them out of Fox a few years ago, but the Exacto wheels will be superior and I think the omens are good that they will become available in due course.

No, this - and the previous F4/5/6 and J15 chassis are complete replacements and not designed to suit RTR chassis but kit built bodies (Gibson in both cases) - take a look at Rumney Models web site where you will find the instructions that set out the approach to assembly, from which you will be able to understand the construction of the kit/chassis and whether it suits your purpose. The 'trailing truck' in the F4/5/6 chassis kits are just that - independent trucks that replicate the behaviour of the radial truck design. Best look at the instructions to get the idea. IF we produce a kit for the N7 it will be a total replacement of the chassis.

Best,

Marcus

No, this - and the previous F4/5/6 and J15 chassis are complete replacements and not designed to suit RTR chassis but kit built bodies (Gibson in both cases) - take a look at Rumney Models web site where you will find the instructions that set out the approach to assembly, from which you will be able to understand the construction of the kit/chassis and whether it suits your purpose. The 'trailing truck' in the F4/5/6 chassis kits are just that - independent trucks that replicate the behaviour of the radial truck design. Best look at the instructions to get the idea. IF we produce a kit for the N7 it will be a total replacement of the chassis.

Best,

Marcus

Thanks for that - I'd completely missed the F4/5/6 chassis on the Rumney web site, but there's no reason I'd have known.  Encouraging to know that these are a complete replacement chassis.

Regards,

Bob