RMweb

Barristers needed for layout!

I have built a model Crown Court as a cameo on a scenic town section of my layout and have been trying (unsuccesfully) to find 00 figures of barristers in wigs and gowns.

I suspect there aren't any and I will have to modify some suit attired figures but thought I'd ask if anyone is aware of any as it would add that individual and appropriate touch to what is hopefully a novel diorama.  

I remember suggesting to one of the figures suppliers for something similar but didn't get any response.

Can I ask what date your layout is set in as pre 1970 ish it would probably have been the Assize courts.

In which case you could use the Langley town hall dignitaries set together with an open carriage to represent the formal opening of the court session perhaps with some soldiers in full uniform etc

I have built a model Crown Court as a cameo on a scenic town section of my layout and have been trying (unsuccesfully) to find 00 figures of barristers in wigs and gowns.

I suspect there aren't any and I will have to modify some suit attired figures but thought I'd ask if anyone is aware of any as it would add that individual and appropriate touch to what is hopefully a novel diorama.  

Unless you are modelling the interior, this will not be necessary.

Counsel do not travel to and from court robed.  They have no need, as courts traditionally have a robing room reserved for Counsel.  Further, it would not be considered the done thing to arrive robed.

One exception I came across was crossing Carey Street from Lincoln's in to enter the Royal Courts of Justice from the rear.  I was told that was acceptable, though I never did it.

However, to model the opening of the assizes, with the Judges in their full-bottomed wigs and the County Yeomanry parading would really be something!

As Edwardian says barristers do not wear robes in the street. I would not wear my tabs/bands and would always change into a tie.

However you could model the blue or maroon robe bag over the shoulder that barristers traditional used to carry their robes and wig.

Edited by meil

• RMweb Gold

If it's a Crown Court, presumably you have modelled the "secure" area where the Serco prison transport trucks drive into?

Magistrates' courts also have them.

To be honest, you probably wouldn't need to model this area - you could effectively hint at this by showing a Serco, or Group 3, truck on the road approaching a courthouse, about to make a "discreet door-to-door delivery"

Other possible cameos could include a couple of police cars parked nearby - and, just visible behind the main entrance door, a "loop" metal detector, a table for people to empty their pockets out onto and a uniformed security officer checking visitors for contraband.

And an ambush?

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Huw.

• Like 2

.... you could model the blue or maroon robe bag over the shoulder that barristers traditional used to carry their robes and wig.

If it's today's scene, then a little suitcase with extending handle - invariably black - on wheels dragged behind Counsel will do.

• Like 1

As Edwardian says barristers do not wear robes in the street. I would not wear my tabs/bands and would always change into a tie.

However you could model the blue or maroon robe bag over the shoulder that barristers traditional used to carry their robes and wig.

I suppose we've all been watching too many TV dramas. Speaking of which you could always model a somewhat grubby overweight man in a trilby - a la Rumpole

• Like 2

That' a good point about the bag.

You don't robe for the Mags - not that I ever practised there

If it's today's scene, then a little suitcase with extending handle - invariably black - on wheels dragged behind Counsel will do.

Family Bar, with their pull along cases!

Since the new anti-smoking rules came into force, I have certainly seen robed barristers out in the street.

Must be common lawyers; wouldn't happen at the Chancery Bar! 

A-ha ..............takes me back, having spent thirty plus years keeping solicitors and counsel supplied with a constant supply of customers !

Always preferred giving evidence "upstairs" (where the "red rober" left no one in doubt he or she ran the show) as opposed to 'downstairs' (where the defence advocates tended to think they were in charge).

Brian R

Edited by br2975

HO not OO ....

I'm sure there are quite short Counsel out there. I've briefed a couple myself in years gone by.

...Since the new anti-smoking rules came into force, I have certainly seen robed barristers out in the street.

Are there smoke units small enough to replicate this?

• RMweb Gold

You don't robe for the Mags - not that I ever practised there

I was actually referring to the "lags' entrances", for Serco or Group 3 to do their "discreet door to door deliveries".

Although they wouldn't be visible from outside the buildings, it appears to be normal practice for magistrates' courtrooms to have 2 areas used as "docks":

• A glass fronted, "secure dock" - for defendants who've been remanded in custody, who've been warned by the magistrates to expect a custodial sentence, or who are regarded as a "flight risk" or a threat to anyone in the court. The secure dock generally has a separate corridor (and possibly stairs) leading to the holding cells and the "secure entrance". (I'm not sure what the official name is - but I think this will suffice.)

• An "open dock" - essentially an area where defendants are told to stand. Sometimes there might be waist-height partitions around this area - sometimes it's just an otherwise unremarkable area of the courtroom floor. These days, it seems to be normal practice for the vast majority of defendants to be told to stand in the "open dock" when they're being dealt with. In fact, even in a number of courtrooms equipped with partitioned open docks, magistrates don't always require defendants to use either of the "docks" - instead expecting them to stand next to their solicitor, somewhere at the defence bench.

Anyway, not to worry.

HO not OO but Preiser do some Protestant ministers whose attire is similar to a barrister.

Since the new anti-smoking rules came into force, I have certainly seen robed barristers out in the street.

An interesting point.

I've also passed a number of solicitors, sat outside my "friendly local" Magistrates Court, getting their "nicotine fix".*

(* Apologies to any smokers who might find this description offensive - this isn't my intention. It's just an observation that a number of smokers appear to crave whatever's in their cigarettes, in a similar way to that in which a number of defendants appearing at my local courthouse appear to crave their "fix" of certain "exotic" substances ... .)

Huw.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure there are quite short Counsel out there. I've briefed a couple myself in years gone by.

Are there smoke units small enough to replicate this?

You've been in the briefs of short counsel......

M'lud....the verdict can only be guilty.....send him down.......

Unless you are modelling the interior, this will not be necessary.

Counsel do not travel to and from court robed.  They have no need, as courts traditionally have a robing room reserved for Counsel.  Further, it would not be considered the done thing to arrive robed.

One exception I came across was crossing Carey Street from Lincoln's in to enter the Royal Courts of Justice from the rear.  I was told that was acceptable, though I never did it.

However, to model the opening of the assizes, with the Judges in their full-bottomed wigs and the County Yeomanry parading would really be something!

I am also  a practising barrister on the Midland and Oxford Circuit and have attended several courts where counsel stand outside robed up (I know in London it is frowned upon). 

In fact my model is of Birmingham Crown Court (albeit reduced in scale) and there are often counsel robed up outside at the real location.  There are also courts with annexes which counsel have to walk between and it is usual not to change out of robes.

It is a 1970s layout so no assizes and in fact my model is based on Crewe where there is no Crown Court (and I know Birmingham Crown Court is actually a 1980s building opened in 1985)but I am taking modellers licence

Incidentally I have modelled the rear of my court building with an entrance yard for prison vans.  When I started practising it was Group 4.  What kind of vans brought prisoners to courts circa  mid 1970s?  Were there any logos on the vans? 

In any event it is to mark the scene as a Crown Court setting and is also an interesting feature.

....It is a 1970s layout so no assizes .....(and I know Birmingham Crown Court is actually a 1980s building opened in 1985)but I am taking modellers licence

Incidentally I have modelled the rear of my court building with an entrance yard for prison vans.  When I started practising it was Group 4.  What kind of vans brought prisoners to courts circa  mid 1970s?  Were there any logos on the vans? 

That model reminds me of Harrow Crown Court.

1970s prison vans - I'm too young to remember them, unfortunately, but I imagine them to have been either navy blue or black before these transports were contracted out. Something like this:

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Horsetan

Black Marias were black, or, if they were blue, it was so dark that they looked black...... hence the name, which looking at Wikipedia seems to have come from the USA, but was certainly what everyone called them when I was ( not that long ago!) a boy. We used to see them chugging off to Lewes Crown Court.

K

Edited by Nearholmer