The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

How Do You Decide on Trains to Buy?

Sir TophamHatt

I'm looking to sell my Central Trains 170 for a MML version - I've decided the bright green is too bright. MML as it was what I saw on the Turbos regularly.

My model isn't specific to any era or area at the moment.

Now I'm having second thoughts. The 3-car CT 170 is a bit too long for my current layout, but I'm thinking of getting a 158. However, I don't want to have too many 2-car trains, hence originally buying the 3-car 170.

Any advice?

My model isn't specific to any era or area at the moment.

...How Do You Decide on Trains to Buy?

Based on these parameters, just buy whatever takes your fancy - I'm not sure how to narrow it down otherwise.

Some of us prefer to be quite prescriptive and limit our purchases to stock which is appropriate to our fairly well structured needs, others find this approach suffocating and buy things without satisfying any constraint beyond Rule One*

I guess it all comes down to what you're trying to achieve, and what gives you modelling/ operating satisfaction.

* 'It's my train set, I'll run what I like.'

Take your time over the decision too. Nothing more annoying than realising that what you previously owned and have now sold was something you liked and would really like to have available on the layout; and is now either really scarce in decent condition, or for some reason has vastly appreciated in price, or worse yet both...

I wish I could remember why I bought half the things I bought. Worst one is a sound chipped Heljan class 26, super model for which I have absolutely no use and I can't for the life of me remember why it was a good idea at the time!

• RMweb Premium

First of all I get what will fit on my planned layout, ie 1980s BR diesels and electrics.

Second, whatever I have a soft spot for - I have an example each of class 15, Kestrel, CC72000, CC6500, 9F etc in my collection!

So get what you like!

• RMweb Premium

Historically I was a magpie and purchased anything that I liked the look of, however over the last 5 years I have rationalised my models and now only purchase models that fit my chosen modelling period and location (or can be modified to for the location). 

• RMweb Gold

A lot of my collection over the years are models of things I've driven for real, some of which I've sold on such as chiltern 168's Fnw 158, atw 150, other stuff I won't sell such as my fastline 66301 as I was the first person to drive the real thing in the mainline so it has sentimental value to me

I very rarely buy something purely because it takes my fancy, current prices have put pay to that, but I did buy a NSE thumper from the Bachman stand at warley as the price was right, £100, and it looks so Damn good!

Archived