Unidentified Location and/or Loco/Date

Interesting that the loco appears to have lamps indicating "express passenger". But then this is the SR, where lamps/discs indicate the route and not the type of train.  And lamps in this position indicate Bournemouth -> Oxford, which is the route that the train is presumably taking.  No doubt the WR crew will change them round once they get to WR territory.

And it's an impressively long train of 16 tonners for the Southern Region.  

Bill

• RMweb Gold

And a Mk1 Buffet Car to the right, unusual in 2 respects; there were not many in SR green, which this clearly is, and it is on B1 bogies, which were only fitted to the first batch, commonwealths being used afterwards.  These were not introduced until 1960 or 61, and never appeared in crimson and cream livery, despite what some preserved railways and some modellers would like you to believe.

I think this is Bournemouth West Junction, with the photo taken from a train on the line out of Bournemouth West. The loco is at the London end of the carriage sidings approach lines.

Thanks for that Peter.

Next negative on the film strip is this shot taken from the train approaching a junction between Bournemouth and Southampton. Not much to go on here. The loco hauling me is West Country 34026 Yes Tor

post-19218-0-68091000-1488723586_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Border Reiver
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Don't know the area well so can't say where this junction is, but a clue to the cognesiti will be that the junction is for routes of equal status, not a main and a branch, evidenced by the splitting bracket signal for the down line (as the location is between Bournemouth West and Southampton and the shot is next in chronological order to the one with the Buffet Car, you must be travelling in the up direction and the other line is the down) having signals for both routes set at the same height.  The presence of unfixed distant signals means the junction is rated for 40mph + running on both routes, and I think I can make out the stencil cutout speed restriction for the down routes on the other side of the signal but the photo doesn't enlarge clearly enough to read it; not surprising since the shot was taken from a moving train!

A junction facing in the down direction for a double track line of main line status leading away to the north of the Bournemouth route between there and Southampton.  Wimbourne, triangle to SDJR avoiding Corfe Mullen?

Edited by The Johnster

That is why I thought my guess would be wrong. Gas Works junction was at Branksome where the line from West station joins the line from Poole. In my theory, the train is on the sharp curve from West junction heading towards Central.

The weather really deteriorated later that day. Here is BR Standard 5  73080 Merlin approaching (by the docks in the background) Southampton station. Slightly out of focus but with an Ilford Sportsman and its 1/250 shutter speed with no light meter on a heavily overcast day not a bad photo!

post-19218-0-24029700-1488729806_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Border Reiver
  • Like 6

The weather really deteriorated later that day. Here is BR Standard 5  73080 Merlin approaching (by the docks in the background) Southampton station. Slightly out of focus but with an Ilford Sportsman and its 1/250 shutter speed with no light meter on a heavily overcast day not a bad photo!

attachicon.gifRRC2_02_20170130_0003_1200.jpg

Interesting formation: Hawksworth BSK followed by a seemingly endless (well, at least six) procession of mainly Stanier BGs. Am I correct? If so, what on earth...? Newspapers? Pigeons? Thespians? Oh dear, seem to have run out of question marks.

Cheers,

BR(W).

Edited by BR(W)

• RMweb Gold

Don't know the area well so can't say where this junction is, but a clue to the cognesiti will be that the junction is for routes of equal status, not a main and a branch, evidenced by the splitting bracket signal for the down line (as the location is between Bournemouth West and Southampton and the shot is next in chronological order to the one with the Buffet Car, you must be travelling in the up direction and the other line is the down) having signals for both routes set at the same height.  The presence of unfixed distant signals means the junction is rated for 40mph + running on both routes, and I think I can make out the stencil cutout speed restriction for the down routes on the other side of the signal but the photo doesn't enlarge clearly enough to read it; not surprising since the shot was taken from a moving train!

A junction facing in the down direction for a double track line of main line status leading away to the north of the Bournemouth route between there and Southampton.  Wimbourne, triangle to SDJR avoiding Corfe Mullen?

The fact that the distants are working has no bearing at all on the speeds permitted through that junction - they are not splitting distants and in any case with signals of that vintage the GWR was the only company where splitting distants were used when (normally)  divergences were 40 mph or greater; all the other Companies took a different line and splitting distants didn't usually relate to linespeed through a junction.   

In the case of a bracket like that they would be working distants on the Western unless they were fixed at caution because the line speed in Station Limits at the 'box to which they referred was 15mph or less.

This thread illustrates just how the most (at first glance) mundane photo can contain a wealth of information.

(Not saying these are mundane, but... you know)

Edited by jonny777

The fact that the distants are working has no bearing at all on the speeds permitted through that junction - they are not splitting distants and in any case with signals of that vintage the GWR was the only company where splitting distants were used when (normally)  divergences were 40 mph or greater; all the other Companies took a different line and splitting distants didn't usually relate to linespeed through a junction.   

In the case of a bracket like that they would be working distants on the Western unless they were fixed at caution because the line speed in Station Limits at the 'box to which they referred was 15mph or less.

Gas Works Jn had down splitting distants (on a rather attractive delicate bracket) situated in Talbot Woods - about 0.75 mile prior to the actual junction.

• Like 1