Unidentified Location and/or Loco/Date

I took this shot of a Hall passing through a station on a freight while on a railrover in South Wales dated 23/8/1963. Taken from the train and going by the negatives before and after, I was travelling between Whitland and Neyland. Anyone recognise the station? I wonder where the beer was goiing...

post-19218-0-23175400-1486131116.jpg

Edited by The Border Reiver
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Yes Haverfordwest. A remarkably under-photographed station.

10421383773_bf9fd6d35e_z.jpgSEP 73 04. 6884 at Haverforwest with the 0110 Bristol-Milford Haven, July 31 1973 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

My view is not really comparable, but the footbridge and the centre road do match.

That almost looks like a very early prototype for Colas livery.

Roy

Thanks for the info guys..

I catalogued my photos when I got back from my railrover over 50 years ago from my notebook which was not as accurate as I thought. After comparing my photos with images on the internet i think this photo is cataloged incorrectly. I have it down as 7804 Baydon Manor at Whitland shed but I think it is the yard at Carmarthen. Can anyone confirm this?

post-19218-0-09167700-1486150977.jpg

• Like 10

I have no idea wheher this is at Whitland, Carmarthen or Cambuslang!!

However, if there are more of this standard and quality (or not) please post a few here.

They're Great!

Regards

Ian

Thanks Ian. I will do a new thread once I have finished scanning in more negatives and entered the data into my electronic catalogue. I have a couple of thousand more negatives to process, most which have never been printed, they have just been in folders for the past 50 years.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian. I will do a new thread once I have finished scanning in more negatives and entered the data into my electronic catalogue. I have a couple of thousand more negatives to process, most which have never been printed, they have just been in folders for the past 50 years.

Probably not Cambuslang, and looks like Carmarthen to me.  The beer kegs in the Haverfordwest shot are probably empty and being returned to their brewery given that they are travelling in the up direction, and the beer has already been drunk and, er, disposed of...

But keep the photos coming as and when you can; they are very good and contain much of interest!

• RMweb Gold

I catalogued my photos when I got back from my railrover over 50 years ago from my notebook which was not as accurate as I thought. After comparing my photos with images on the internet i think this photo is cataloged incorrectly. I have it down as 7804 Baydon Manor at Whitland shed but I think it is the yard at Carmarthen. Can anyone confirm this?

attachicon.gifRRA5_37_20170126_0037_2_800.jpg

Definitely Whitland judging on the rural background, it was situated in the fork of the Pembroke Dock and Fishguard lines, Carmarthen would have a more built up backscene.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

I'd be inclined to think Whitland, based on the modern, flat style of canopy.

10421039834_a9c213fbf2_z.jpgThe 09:50 from Pembroke Dock has just arrived at Whitland and is about return as the 10:55 departure. July 31, 1973. by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

This is not a comparable view as your picture shows platform 1, whereas mine shows platform 3; but the canopies are similar.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifRRA5_37_20170126_0037_2_800.jpg

Definitely Whitland - with that peculiar half-hearted attempt at coaling shelter that it boasted.

The 'shed' (a single road corrugated iron structure that, in the early 1960s looked as if it was about to fall down at any minute) was on the Down side virtually level with the station - the photo in Post No.5 was probably taken from the Down platform.  The shed would be just out of view to the left in the pic in Post No.13.  Utterly incredible place but my dad and I 'did' it with a Permit while we were on holiday in Tenby one year

• Like 1

The 'Large Prarie' was a local engine. 87H had been Neyland, with sub-sheds at Pembroke Dock, Milford Haven Cardigan and Whitland, until 1963- then Whitland was the last man standing.

The fish traffic wasn't loaded or unloaded at Whitland; it was simply that trains could exchange portions there, and attach portions to Up trains. The fish was loaded at Neyland (until it shut) and Milford Haven.

Whitland station was considered important enough to justify a diesel pilot (a BR/Gardner 204hp, or '03' for younger readers) well into the 1960s- apart from Fishguard, it was the only location west of Carmarthen to merit one.

I also wonder where the beer was coming from. The closest breweries were Buckley's and Felinfoel in Llanelli, but I've never heard of either using rail. Bass sent casks from Burton to Swansea (Hafod Yard) into the 1970s, but they used 'Tube' wagons, often with nameboards. I wonder if the barrels were empties that had been brought back by RN vessels that had put in at Milford for revictualling?

The shot at Haverfordwest shows, in the middle distance, the small oil terminal; despite the presence of several major refineries on the nearby Cleddau estuary, BP had a  terminal here, which lasted into the 1970s.

• RMweb Gold

This was the next one I was going to put up as an unknown location. However. thanks to Google images, I have identified it as Quaker Yard Low Level station. Here we have pannier tank 9668 approaching the station on a freight (trip working C13?). Aberfan tips can be seen in the distance.

attachicon.gifRRA5_17_20170126_0017_800.jpg

The only place where I have ever changed trains from a station suffixed 'Low Level' to the adjacent one suffixed 'High Level', and vice versa.

A couple more here taken on 22 August 1963, I think at the same location. It was a grotty dull day, not ideal weather for an Ilford Sportsman with no light meter! Not a lot here to identify the station which I think is South Wales. The next photos on the film roll are at Cardiff east Dock shed

The first is Large Prairie 5101 class 4174 which was shedded at Pontypool Road.

post-19218-0-63289500-1486902321_thumb.jpg

The second is an unidentified 2800 class.

post-19218-0-41844600-1486902359_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Border Reiver
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely wonderful. A GWR prairie in Wales with an LMS porthole coach numbered SC24551M.

Portholes worked in South Wales from early,1950's including The Vale of Neath line and in Crimson and Cream. They were the pinnacle of luxury in comparison with the ex-GWR offerings and included armrests in what was then known as 3rd Class.