Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Not often you read this these days, but fantastic service from Royal Mail.

I ordered motor #2 for Splendid - same problem as normal - from DCC Supplies.

Excellent support from DCC.

Requested 2nd signed for - didn't ring / ask for signature just left, so negative point there, even if it's more convenient for some - but considering I ordered Thursday NIGHT, 2 working days' delivery, day 1 should be FR-SAT, but received today, so may get Splendid running over the weekend, to join Brutus on TPE duties!

I've yet to locate a decent 'pinion puller' and often end up destroying motors, so didn't want to risk the route a few posts earlier.

It is annoying the brushes are often misaligned 'though.

Brutus is on motor #3, when most Bachmann and Hornby models with similar running will be on at most #2.

Al.

I gently ran in the new motor for Splendid, both directions, before inserting into Splendid.

Now fully inserted, new drive cups as well - purchased just in case I damaged the old ones when replacing the motor - I did one.

Same power settings gives the same speeds as Brutus - got to be a good sign!

(Both max out at the same speed +/- but never hold there - normally perhaps 60%.)

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I use two guitar string pullers and leverage the bearing off apart.

You could always put the bearing in a vice and tap out the motor (its a 2mm shaft)

or

Tamiya makes a worm puller thats ok.

The only one defeating me so far is Bachmanns.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2023 at 21:57, adb968008 said:

Now your safe, youve nothing to lose on the old motor.

Why not open the can and take a look inside, ive found several models where motor speed was variable, or stopped was due to the brushes losing contact with the commutator. Tweaking the brushes back in has fixed all mine in the past.

6F469A00-CC3F-46D3-8E34-1796422FB180.jpeg.ecf0be29079b7e948c34e4e635aed4a3.jpeg

note how the brushes arent reaching over the armature shaft hole

E8BDA775-011C-4D90-B2CB-BFB4D3B0B0E7.jpeg

D0437EC1-2CF6-4991-BC37-002B59EF4D0D.jpeg

On 19/01/2023 at 21:57, adb968008 said:

Now your safe, youve nothing to lose on the old motor.

Why not open the can and take a look inside, ive found several models where motor speed was variable, or stopped was due to the brushes losing contact with the commutator. Tweaking the brushes back in has fixed all mine in the past.

6F469A00-CC3F-46D3-8E34-1796422FB180.jpeg.ecf0be29079b7e948c34e4e635aed4a3.jpeg

note how the brushes arent reaching over the armature shaft hole

E8BDA775-011C-4D90-B2CB-BFB4D3B0B0E7.jpeg

D0437EC1-2CF6-4991-BC37-002B59EF4D0D.jpeg

So where you have pulled the flywheels off,are they not balanced which would make them critical to refit? I take it a new one has them fitted.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

So where you have pulled the flywheels off,are they not balanced which would make them critical to refit? I take it a new one has them fitted.

The cups are just plastic, they are often the same cups as used on the gear box.

i just pull them off with pliers.

Theres a place on alibaba that sells 12 cups for £7.50

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002394222645.html?mp=1

2mm shaft so fit most motors.

its worth noting on the Hattons 66, the bearings are actually unbalanced.. the shaft on one side of the motor is shorter than the other, as there is a plastic face to the motor. This is in the cradle design, so you have to compensate the bearing refitting to the shaft in resprct to motor cradle, otherwise it will either be too tight, or bending the drive shaft to the gearbox. However it is much easier to adjust / fit as its not over tight.

The motor size / shape is a fairly standard sized for oo/ho models and several similar alternatives manufacturers are available. You can find a compatible (but not identical) motor for the 68 at a similar price there too.. Piko, LaisDCC and Mehano do one that would fit ( and Bachmann or Heljan has a size that would fit too).

ive not found a cheap source of fly wheels yet, though some motors are sold with, but as size is variable, its easier to re-use the old ones.

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice and help. I recently purchased the AS tpe mk 5 set, fantastic wagons, however now looking to buy a class 68 in tpe livery. My questions are the missing handrails, are they hard to fit as I don't have much modelling skills, also have tried YouTube for a tutorial but cannot see any, sending it back to Dapol is out of the question as I live in Ireland, and are Dapol going to supply the missing handrails or do I buy them myself and hopefully someone over here can fit them. Sorry for the long winded post, but any advice, help of feedback greatly appreciated.

Regards John.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, John-r said:

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice and help. I recently purchased the AS tpe mk 5 set, fantastic wagons, however now looking to buy a class 68 in tpe livery. My questions are the missing handrails, are they hard to fit as I don't have much modelling skills, also have tried YouTube for a tutorial but cannot see any, sending it back to Dapol is out of the question as I live in Ireland, and are Dapol going to supply the missing handrails or do I buy them myself and hopefully someone over here can fit them. Sorry for the long winded post, but any advice, help of feedback greatly appreciated.

Regards John.

Hi John,

Dapol did acknowledge the error and offered to correct at no cost, though the window for this has since lapsed. I had a very quick look on their site, couldn’t see them being offered as spares, that said, drop them an email, I’m sure they will get back to you. 
I could imagine fitment may be fiddly, though I have not done it myself. What I can say is I had to return mine because of the poor fitment first time round. I think the supplied a new shell, the one I sent had a blemish on the windscreen and the replacement doesn’t. 

HTH

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Ncarter2 said:

Hi John,

Dapol did acknowledge the error and offered to correct at no cost, though the window for this has since lapsed. I had a very quick look on their site, couldn’t see them being offered as spares, that said, drop them an email, I’m sure they will get back to you. 
I could imagine fitment may be fiddly, though I have not done it myself. What I can say is I had to return mine because of the poor fitment first time round. I think the supplied a new shell, the one I sent had a blemish on the windscreen and the replacement doesn’t. 

HTH

I think I got a replacement shell as well - a minor mark on the exhaust "disappeared"...

27 minutes ago, Ncarter2 said:

Hi John,

HTH

Hi Ncarter2, 

Thanks very much for the reply, will email Dapol  in the morning to see what my options are, cheers john.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

While at York after YMRS had a few hours in station,Felix has got what looks fresh painted gold buffer heads.

IMG_1505.JPG

IMG_1508.JPG

Felix.. Secret Agent 031

The Cat with the Golden Buffer…

is that a James Bond budget remake set in Scarborough instead of Hong Kong ?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Tomathee said:

Is it just the small logo near the window that is different between this and the previous release of Intrepid? Scuse my ignorance

It should also have the current (later) nose handrails - the first release was the loco as-built