Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

The decorated samples have made their way over to Peterborough for me to check. The main points I have picked up are:

• The cab front on 68026 is indeed incorrect and I have asked for the Vossloh logo to be removed. The artwork for 68030 is correct.
  • The cab end numbers are missing on 68006 and this will also be corrected.

Do not worry about the colours on 68006, as they are really vibrant and look spot-on. The same applies to 68014 in the Chiltern Green Fuel livery. Both lovely!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

One area which had slightly let down the TPE model for me previously was the lack of black lining around the raised bodywork panels. So I was cautiously optimistic to see this included in the artworks for the latest batch of announcements.

494a590914707b306993ff14db3d336d.png.284d3059e46a8b37f3f51e0d7039c616.pngThis seems not to have made it to the decorated sample though, which appears to me to be the same as the previous editions. Though as the printed nameplates are missing too, perhaps this is still due work. I hope the different shades of dark blue between the diagonal stripes, gradient fill and lower nose can also be revised, they should all be consistent.

479df24bc6b6e300455796bdbb4fa688.png.19ece83582bc49b6bf07aeda6a49251a.pngInterestingly, the lined panel does seem to have made it from artwork to model with the new Bio Fuel livery, seen surrounding the CR logo.73f3cfc9fd55857f73a6d1e248f49eca.png.3f2b13eab4d7af1bcecd48da57a87055.png44cf18da13b58be6e2a2cb42654a6f2c.png.f068e3cd0545fa4fcd8d3446c8ce8643.png

It would be excellent if these could be carried over to the TPE version, as I feel it really completes the look.

Until I managed to get up close with the real thing I did wonder if the black surround was just a build-up of dirt or the edge of the panel, but is a very clear black stripe (maybe even tape?) as shown in my snap below (a strong contender for the dullest photo I've ever taken).

PXL_20231111_170647521_MP.jpg.0c0d9fe5e4be8500343f2a796168b3a5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Adam1701D said:

Great spot. The black lining is present on the artwork but not the sample. I shall ask for it to be put back.

Many thanks!

Appreciate the response, Adam. Great to hear that'll be picked up. Can you comment on whether that will also include the panel the nameplate is mounted on and the smaller hexagonal one? They both looked to be picked out, rightly, on the artwork. 

• RMweb Gold

Thats an interesting dilemma.

Picking out the panel edges would mean this batch of 68’s would not match the existing 5 transpenine already made.

As a consumer it may be right, but it may be off putting to buying more knowing they wont sit nicely with the others.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Thats an interesting dilemma.

Picking out the panel edges would mean this batch of 68’s would not match the existing 5 transpenine already made.

As a consumer it may be right, but it may be off putting to buying more knowing they wont sit nicely with the others.

Continue the error, or correct it?

Wasn't there a  similar discussion regarding matching  AS Mk5 sets to Dapol 68s?

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Continue the error, or correct it?

Wasn't there a  similar discussion regarding matching  AS Mk5 sets to Dapol 68s?

maybe the litmus test is how many modellers corrected the mistake themselves on their existing models ?

ive got to be honest i’ve never really noticed until the post above, but now you see it, you cannot unsee it.

That said a black line around straight edges isnt hard mod to make.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Since I took over the graphic design for Dapol, my philosophy is to correct any existing errors unless where possible. I realise this may cause annoyance in some quarters we are damned if we do and damned if we don't!

There are one or two that I won't mention that have been retained for the sake of backward compatibility.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 minutes ago, Adam1701D said:

Since I took over the graphic design for Dapol, my philosophy is to correct any existing errors unless where possible. I realise this may cause annoyance in some quarters we are damned if we do and damned if we don't!

There are one or two that I won't mention that have been retained for the sake of backward compatibility.

I would say that's a very sound approach, thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

maybe the litmus test is how many modellers corrected the mistake themselves on their existing models ?

For what it's worth, that's exactly why my reference picture above was taken. However, with the possibility of the revised models in the pipeline, that job moved a few spots down the queue, as I'm half tempted to replace my 31 with 30 anyway.

Speaking of the previous model and matching with AS stock, I think this is in a generally good place. Whether that's by design or chance I'm not entirely sure, as I can't recall any AS comments on their approach. The shade which varies the most between the two models is probably the dark blue, though that's mostly because it has about 3 different shades on the 68 itself. The gradient fade of the graphics seems to be a very tricky thing to nail and I'm guessing that maybe the layering of the printing and different base colours could be behind the variation. In the new decoration sample shots above, you can see the colour variation within the diagonal stripes, and between the stripes and the faded fill section - all quite different from the lower nose! These also vary at each end of the same model.

5e6ab55f43276852448d1e5704798c9d.png.f8f1c7b4796b41d9aafcc742287a0fee.png479df24bc6b6e300455796bdbb4fa688.png.ed45fd2d37bb9d7ef963446b96dd4238.png

Please don't take this as any kind of bashing of Dapol. These are very cruel close-ups and are presented just for the reference of this discussion and any ideas for tweaks that might improve subsequent runs. I'm a very happy owner of a TPE 68 and think it's a cracking model, with some small areas for improvement.

Tackling the dark blue was the first job I undertook with the model. Using a few thinned washes, I tried to build up one consistent colour whilst maintaining the fade of the graphics. Though not perfectly blended, I got it to a point that I was happy with and I think it also sits well against the AS tone. Generally, I would say the AS colours are a bit deeper and richer, but I would also note that having seen a 68 and MK5 side by side in real life, the shades do vary slightly between the vehicles, particularly the purple.

Now here's my turn to be on the receiving end of the cruel close-ups!

PXL_20230404_1815589872.jpg.3691bede4d0862931afcc987b7064f8d.jpg
image.jpg.3337985e9da4603f4bc2071abc4b2cde.jpg

Thanks again to Dapol and Adam for sharing the sample images with us and for welcoming this level of dialogue with modellers. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had an issue with their 68s cab glazing clouding over? I think it must be to do with UV light from the sun but it has happened at one end of two of my 68s. These are the only two locos affected so seems like something 68 related.

13 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Has anyone had an issue with their 68s cab glazing clouding over? I think it must be to do with UV light from the sun but it has happened at one end of two of my 68s. These are the only two locos affected so seems like something 68 related.

Yes, I've had that happen on one of them, only at one end. The other five I have are all OK. Not sure which one it is though.

6 minutes ago, Tony Walker said:

Yes, I've had that happen on one of them, only at one end. The other five I have are all OK. Not sure which one it is though.

Mine are both from different batches. One is either 032 or 023, the other is 008 which was an earlier release. I have 4 68s, these are the only two affected.

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Mine are both from different batches. One is either 032 or 023, the other is 008 which was an earlier release. I have 4 68s, these are the only two affected.

I've experienced the same thing with 008 at one end. Funnily enough, I've just ordered a replacement windscreen.

My other two, 010 (original release) and 034, seem to be unaffected. 

Ed

Just now, TomScrut said:

Thanks!

My pleasure!

1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Is it a single windscreen or two (for a single loco)? Just thinking the spare bodies at £10 might be a cheaper way to solve my issue!

I don't know, I'm afraid, as it's still in the post. I considered buying a spare body instead but the postage was more expensive. 

Ed

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've recently acquired 4D-022-010D 68008 'Avenger' with is DCC fitted, and I was wondering how easy is it to convert to sound?  Is there a speaker fitted, or do I need to buy one, if so, can someone recommend a good speaker which gives the bass tones which Class 68's are known for.  I love the feeling of your internal organs being moved around as the loco passes by lol.

6 minutes ago, TravisM said:

I've recently acquired 4D-022-010D 68008 'Avenger' with is DCC fitted, and I was wondering how easy is it to convert to sound?  Is there a speaker fitted, or do I need to buy one, if so, can someone recommend a good speaker which gives the bass tones which Class 68's are known for.  I love the feeling of your internal organs being moved around as the loco passes by lol.

Me and my dad have 5/6 between us got them analogue and fitted legomann sound to them. Best speakers we found were bass reflex unless you feel confident cutting the chassis about to fit an em1-2 to it. You would need to buy a speaker for it

cheers Craig 

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Craig1989 said:

Me and my dad have 5/6 between us got them analogue and fitted legomann sound to them. Best speakers we found were bass reflex unless you feel confident cutting the chassis about to fit an em1-2 to it. You would need to buy a speaker for it

cheers Craig 

Hi Craig,

I'll be totally honest, I'm not confident about cutting into the chassis to fit a speaker, so the bass reflex will have to do.  Do you have a link to where I can get one and are they a easy fit?

Regards

6 minutes ago, TravisM said:

Hi Craig,

I'll be totally honest, I'm not confident about cutting into the chassis to fit a speaker, so the bass reflex will have to do.  Do you have a link to where I can get one and are they a easy fit?

Regards

Legomann biffo do them and I’m the same not comfortable cutting into the chassis and yes there is loads of room for a bass reflex 

cheers Craig 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

An EM1 will fit without mods but only just barely.

Best speaker in my experience for the nervous would be a Rail Exclusive 55x20 Chunky Boom Box or even easier to fit, the 40x20 Boom Box

https://railexclusive.com/product/sp55x20x10-chunky-boom-box-speaker/

https://railexclusive.com/product/sp40x20x10-boom-box-speaker/

Also available from YouChoos and Digitrains amongst others.

Edited by Kaput
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1