Metcalfe Yard

sb67

Been adding a few more weeds and a tiny bit of static grass. I must leave that alone now and get on with the next bit!

Steve.

Just the right amount - not too much and not too little!

Stu

post-24-0-20911200-1516200564_thumb.jpg

Think I might go with he grounded van body as some sort of store. One question I have is should I cut  the solebar and buffer beams off or just dump the whole lot on the ground? I've been looking for some pics to inspire me but I cant find any decent ones.

• Like 4

I've been running some stock and I think the van body is too big for the space as some long wheelbase stuff gets too close. I want the area to look believable so I might use a small hut or even just a load of weeds, sleepers and general junk. 

I like the grounded van so I'll find somewhere to put it. 

I wonder what would really appear in a space in a yard of that size.

Steve.

post-24-0-98154100-1516213656_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-36004100-1516213685_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-45220400-1516213706_thumb.jpg

Edited by sb67
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

How about these

https://goo.gl/kuodMt

for grounded van body positioning.

PS At a farm owned by my family a good few years ago, we had two grounded vans in the yard. Just checked on google maps, but they have gone now.

They had solebars intact, and I had the builders plates off them in about 1978. The have gone, too, cleared out with other 'junk' by my mother.

Regards

Ian

• Like 3

How about these

https://goo.gl/kuodMt

for grounded van body positioning.

PS At a farm owned by my family a good few years ago, we had two grounded vans in the yard. Just checked on google maps, but they have gone now.

They had solebars intact, and I had the builders plates off them in about 1978. The have gone, too, cleared out with other 'junk' by my mother.

Regards

Ian

Ian that's a fantastic photo. I'd like to see that modelled, I love the lorry in the background as well.

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

I've been running some stock and I think the van body is too big for the space as some long wheelbase stuff gets too close. I want the area to look believable so I might use a small hut or even just a load of weeds, sleepers and general junk. 

I like the grounded van so I'll find somewhere to put it. 

I wonder what would really appear in a space in a yard of that size.

Searching online for photos shows goods yards as open and tidy places, for example

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mr/bhamcentralgoodsyard/mrcgy912.jpg

So how about an essentially empty space, with two figures standing discussing something?

I suspect everything will look fine when there are one or two wagons nearby.

- Richard.

Dave,

The huts from in the first and the second pictures are keepers IMO: put in both of them. You have the space, I think.

The hut in the third picture does not fit in with the other huts and the structures already on the layout IMO: I think it is comparatively to modern.

Just my 2 cents.

Best Regards,

Christian

Thanks Christian, didn't think of the shed being too modern but you're probably right, but I wasn't sure if it fitted in with the surroundings. If I use the wooden hut I think I'd turn it round so it's parallel with the track.

Steve. 

Thanks Booking Hall. I like the look of that, I think something slightly smaller would fit perfectly but that has got me thinking. I fancy having a go at a bit of scratch building so I'll look for a photo of one to build.

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There was a ruined LNER hut on the route of the former Maldon branch, near Langford. It well might still be there (I saw it maybe 5 years ago) - much the same as the kit from Scale Model Scenery, but smaller, and no roof. The track bed is a public footpath.

- Richard.

post-24-0-87296600-1516639633_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-66820900-1516639645_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-48985600-1516639663_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-79190700-1516639677_thumb.jpg

I've built a small hut based, loosely, on a LNER plan, just got to paint it and place it. Not sure where though! 

Had an idea for a bit of an embankment as well.

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 6

I think the embankment and its arrangement to be a fantastic idea. Secondly, I believe you should position the hut as depicted in the second image. The location of the cabin in the final picture looks too crowded, making the entire area look far smaller than intended.

My personal opinion.

I like the first LNER style hut better, I think it is more in keeping with this model.

I like the bank with one proviso, how much does it obscure things on this small layout? If it does I would bin it. If not then keep it, as it adds something. The same goes for the positioning of the hut.

If you do not put it underneath the bridge, I think that area crys out for a few sleepers and old oil barrel and few weeds. It just the kind of place stuff would be dumped.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by SouthernBlue80s