Metcalfe Yard

sb67

post-24-0-24759200-1516814714_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-55460800-1516814723_thumb.jpg

Thanks Steve. 

I like the embankment but I get what you mean, it does obscure a bit and it's only a small layout.

I quite like the look of the photo's I've just posted, maybe a small fence in front of the line going under the bridge with a bit of rough ground in front.

Steve.

• Like 5

I like the embankment very much; it counters a possible auditorium effect quit nicely IMO.

From the pictures not so sure about two huts anymore; can we (I :sungum: ) see pictures of the whole layout showing the different hut placement options?

Best Regards,

Christian

Would a small timber crossing ( easier for rolling those cable dollies and drums over ) or warning notice ' Beware trains' type thing look too much?

It doesn't show up too well in the pics but the ground work is built up in one spot to suggest a little used crossing.

Steve.

I like the embankment very much; it counters a possible auditorium effect quit nicely IMO.

From the pictures not so sure about two huts anymore; can we (I :sungum: ) see pictures of the whole layout showing the different hut placement options?

Best Regards,

Christian

post-24-0-86687400-1516829356.jpeg

Thanks Christian. There's not a lot more to see, this a pic of the whole layout. I don't really have a lot more room and don't want to overcrowd the layout.

Steve.

• Like 4

post-24-0-87028700-1516865665.jpg

Think I'll go with this. I like the idea of a view blocker near the bridge and peering over the bank to see what's there and I'll show some sort of crossing and have junk and stuff dumped in the space between the tracks in front of the bridge.

• Like 11

I think the hut would look best hard up against the end of the embankment, with a bit more clutter around, perhaps some of it resting against the side of the hut.

Stu

Thanks guys, I've been messing around with stuff and the temptation is to fill the area up with junk but I then don't think it would look right.  The saying less is more springs to mind!

post-24-0-35974200-1517811162_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-64729100-1517811185_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-72621000-1517811196.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Going back to last March ...

Had a go at weathering the wharehouse. The photo doesn't do it justice but I'm not really pleased with it. I mixed some paint with varnish then used some weathering powders. I'll leave it all to dry and go back to it another time.

I wanted a black sooty effect, I might bring the darker bit further down the building.

... I think your brickwork looks fine in the photos, did you find a way to do do the weathering which you were happy with in the end?

It the moment, I'm experimenting with picking out individual bricks on Metcalfe brick paper with a small brush. This is removing some of the original intensity, but it is really a sort of re-toning rather than weathering.

- Richard.

Thanks Richard. I mixed some matt black paint with varnish and painted the whole thing. After that I used some weathering powders and acrylic washes and worked on small areas at a time. I also used some watercolour pencils to add some rain staining etc.

One thing someone mentioned on here was the window frames, they look far too bright, I wish I'd toned them down somehow at the building stage, not sure I could do it now though.

Have you seen this thread? The Metcalfe office looks great.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129786-when-you-havent-got-much-time-space-motivation-all-of-the-previous/&do=findComment&comment=2987464

I'd be interested to see your efforts.

Steve.

Edited by sb67

• RMweb Premium

I have had a play with a mixture of varnish and pale grey paint (grey because I really want to lighten the finish not darken it) but this turned the brick paper a lot darker. Having only gloss varnish doesn't help. I seem to have lost my stock of brick papers somewhere (probably inside a book) so instead of more practice I have had a go at my most bland building with some green paint to try a hint of moss/mould. I started along the bottom of the brick paper (where it won't show on the layout) and then did some more brickwork, and went on to the downpipe and the facias and the roof:

post-14389-0-57053000-1517867157_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-16234000-1517867158_thumb.jpg

I am quite happy with this. The paint catches the light from some angles, but not the usual viewing angles. The notices are from a Sankey sheet for a traction maintenance depot. I think it all looks less of a slab now.

My best idea for your window frames is to try some acrylic paint, perhaps pale cream or a mossy green, with a really tiny brush, and follow it up with a cotton bud to remove most of the paint and spread out what is left behind. If they are metal windows, perhaps the paint should be a brown/brick colour for rust.

- Richard.

• Like 6

That looks great Richard. I like the effect of Moss coming up from the ground. I think you've got everything just right. I think the trick is to really take time to build up effects almost to the stage where you don't seem to be adding anything and then step back and look as it's all too easy to overdo it.

As for my windows, as everything is stuck to the backscene I'll leave them now but in the future I'll try to weather them.

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

I think that it looks very effective.

For me, it is important to distinguish between clutter and detail. So I want the details in my layout to have a 'purpose' so to speak. So for the fire assembly point I chose zone 2 on the sign to suggest this is a part of a larger site, and I chose the fire assembly point because it is the most reasonable sign beside an otherwise empty patch of ground. (And I wanted a sign of some sort to break up the monotony of the brick wall).

I much prefer the first of Steve's three photos yesterday because the puddle is linked to the oil drum on its side. If the location needs several oil drums, I'd be inclined to arrange them tidily. Possibly a sign nearby, 'Only full drums to be placed in this compound' or even 'Gas cylinders only - no oil drums"! But then, I am forever inventing stories to go with my own layout, and I realise some people don't need to do this.

I am finding, a choice of signs does help to set the period of the layout. Whether this is good or bad I'm not so sure - it stops you relying on the trains to set the period; but if the trains are right the signs reinforce the setting.

- Richard.

• Like 1

Thanks Adrian, I'm getting a lot of inspiration from looking at the stuff you do. I've just got to leave it alone now as I keep finding all sorts of 'junk' I could put there!

Steve.

Edited by sb67