Channel 4 model railway challenge

Nearholmer

• Administrators

Is it the same production company as did The Great British Throwdown? If so I'm actually quite optimistic as, in spite of making a living (bwahaha!) out of pottery things I still found the series interesting and entertaining.

Yes it is.

• Administrators

It is starting to make James May's program look like an award winner. I'm starting to feel rather lucky my offer of help wasn't taken up, now. If they had aproched this in a away of solving the engineering problems rather than pink and fluffy tv it had potential.

I like gardening and growing fruit and veg. I watch gardeners world, Entertaining and educational, I watch Chelsea flower show for the same reason. I thought the great allotment challenge, another from this stable, would be interesting. As my wife now says stop having thoughts your always wrong. She was right. After less than 5 minuets I had lost the will to live. I feel this is the same but with a train.

The only winners in this case are the midges who get a fee lunch.

You obviously know exactly how the show will work, despite not being part of the production team.

I've only talked to the producer and a couple of people who have been involved with the application process so I might be missing something. However, as well as talking to people at model railway shows, they were contacting other organisations recruiting engineering students. The recruiting tests also involved solving a practical problem which involved some engineering.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Like the idea of a TV show or not, there is a big potential upside for our hobby to its appearance, even if you don't watch a single minute of it. Even if you hate the entire thing.

When this airs, model railway news will become more saleable to the general public for a few weeks. It doesn't matter that the programme is VERY different to our version of the hobby. Most people won't realise this.

The main group of interest are local newspaper editors. If you want to plug an event or club, then while this thing is on the air, the term "Model Railway" will not be news kyrptonite. It won't necesarily be associated in the editors mind with people in wooly hats standing on the end of platforms. For a few weeks, we offer a TV tie-in and that is good news for editors.

So, everyone needs to be thinking about how we can make the most of this opportunity. It doesn't matter how week the tie-in, if you can write a press release that includes something along the lines of "If you've been watching "The Biggest Little Railway in the World" on Channel 4 then visit our club/show" then there is a better than normal chance to get press coverage and find new members or exhibition visitors. This needs thinking about NOW, so everything is ready to go when the series hits the air. Everyone involved with anything cake like managed to invent a Bake Off tie-in and the gardening world has been doing this for years. It's our turn to jump on a bandwagon.

• Like 4

Probably the best solution would be to try and get the "train" from Fort William to Fort Augustus via Gairlochy (at least the Victorians misguidedly built a real railway as far as Fort Augustus!), then build a miniature train ferry and float it along Loch Ness to Inverness. I should imagine some civil engineering would be required....

I'll keep an eye on the weather for The Great Glen for the last two weeks in June with interest! :jester:

The filming may be in June, when is it planned to be screened. TYes, Phil, there will be some interest in the media. We have had local TV(NW Toniight) feature Liverpool Lime Street , with a very positive angle, but I have not noticed an increase in interest in the hobby. It needs coordination with the hobby, magazines and local clubs/exhibitions.

• Administrators

. We have had local TV(NW Toniight) feature Liverpool Lime Street , with a very positive angle, but I have not noticed an increase in interest in the hobby.

You are talking about a one-off report on a local new station. That would have been backed up by zero advertising and quickly forgotten. This time we are talking a national show that will be heavily trailed and take place over several weeks.

Out of interest, what method did you use to measure the "interest in the hobby"? I'm thinking that most clubs would aim for something numerical such as increase in members or at least enquiries, or numbers in the door at the show.

My personal view, and must stress that it IS personal, is that this is one step beyond impossible. Having been involved on the ground (quite literally) in the first James May programme, if it's impossible to lay Hornby track along a smooth tarmac cycle path, a few miles between two decent-sized towns, I can't see any way that you'll lay even gauge 1 sectional track on an unprepared trackbed in the back of beyond. It would have been a much better idea to have built something with a practical purpose and usable afterwards that's within the parameters of proper railway modelling (ie in a controllable environment) - perhaps a giant exhibition layout or one that could be used for charity fund-raising. Thankfully I'm now too old to even consider taking part in something that physically challenging. (CJL)

Like the idea of a TV show or not, there is a big potential upside for our hobby to its appearance, even if you don't watch a single minute of it. Even if you hate the entire thing.

When this airs, model railway news will become more saleable to the general public for a few weeks. It doesn't matter that the programme is VERY different to our version of the hobby. Most people won't realise this.

The main group of interest are local newspaper editors. If you want to plug an event or club, then while this thing is on the air, the term "Model Railway" will not be news kyrptonite. It won't necesarily be associated in the editors mind with people in wooly hats standing on the end of platforms. For a few weeks, we offer a TV tie-in and that is good news for editors.

So, everyone needs to be thinking about how we can make the most of this opportunity. It doesn't matter how week the tie-in, if you can write a press release that includes something along the lines of "If you've been watching "The Biggest Little Railway in the World" on Channel 4 then visit our club/show" then there is a better than normal chance to get press coverage and find new members or exhibition visitors. This needs thinking about NOW, so everything is ready to go when the series hits the air. Everyone involved with anything cake like managed to invent a Bake Off tie-in and the gardening world has been doing this for years. It's our turn to jump on a bandwagon.

Agree with this. If I may expand on the Throwdown experience for a moment, there may be some useful parallels.

As noted, MrsB and I make pots for a living, high quality porcelain ones, and sell them at craft markets. As we like to eat occasionally, and even Aldi baked beans cost something, our prices are an order of magnitude higher than equivalent mass-produced imports. Much of our sales time is spent explaining why.

However, since The Great British Throwdown aired we've noticed that a lot more people have realised that what we do is actually quite difficult. Previously, most people's experience of claywork extended to their kids bringing oddly shaped lumps of crumbly stuff home from school. A few might have made a wobbly mug at evening classes. Suddenly a good proportion have discovered what's actually involved.

Yes, as a professional (oh that's funny xD), I was able to spot the fiddles used in order to make the whole thing work as entertainment but, IMHO, they didn't detract from the show as a whole.

So, if the producers can show the difference between model railways and Thomas endlessly circulating at 200mph, just as they managed between proper pots and crumbly t$&d shaped things, I can see a positive outcome. I'll admit that it's a bit of an if but, given what they did with Throwdown, I'm prepared to offer the benefit of the doubt.

Incidentally, again as a (sorta) pro, I thought some of the Throwdown challenges were near impossible in the allotted times. However, thanks to the aforementioned fiddles, they were successfully "completed". Bear in mind that "completed" may mean something different in TVland from what you think it does ;-).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I work in the opposite end of the pottery market to Patb, having observed the bake off effect in the cake world, and the throwdown effect in our world I would say it is everyone (or club) for themselves to make the most of piggybacking onto marketing opportunities, but with such a niche market clubs are unlikely to tread on each other's toes.

From what I've seen on here, the project has no comparison to 'model railways' as we know them, it may as well be rolling a marble along some plastic guttering, going by the earlier photo. I wish they could do something that was fun and beneficial, (as Dibber mentioned) to me it is a waste of time, effort and materials.

Each

From what I've seen on here, the project has no comparison to 'model railways' as we know them, it may as well be rolling a marble along some plastic guttering, going by the earlier photo. I wish they could do something that was fun and beneficial, (as Dibber mentioned) to me it is a waste of time, effort and materials.

Each to their own. Personally, I see it as quite a fun project, challenging, but interesting at the same time. People make things fun, I'm sure the group and social aspects will be good fun.

Just out of interest, what would be 'fun' and make the best use of materials for yourself?

I reckon their are plenty of children's homes, hospitals and the like that could have a garden railway or two. Plenty of more 'civil engineering work' and proper track laying etc, more like what we do. Could have three or four different sites and a race between teams/whatever, and at the end the kids/adults have something worthwhile, and viewers would get a better understanding of what they could achieve in their own garden/wherever.

The pottery throwdown series was probably successful because folk could relate to what was done, and could see the point of it (pots that may or may not work), but this rail thing will be of no use whatsoever.

It'll be fun to watch. I enjoyed Scrapheap Challenge without ever rummaging through a car reclamation yard trying to find the necessary parts for a racing car / speedboat /trebuchet.

(Though I was once attacked by what looked like rabid dogs trying to locate the starter motor for an obscure jet engine in a long defunct scrapheap in Essex)

Maybe I need to adjust my set?

but this rail thing will be of no use whatsoever.

Hmm. That explains why a tv production company has seen fit to sink an awful of time and money into the project then. Dearie me, there is just no pleasing some people! How about reserving judgment until we see the end result. 

Hmm. That explains why a tv production company has seen fit to sink an awful of time and money into the project then. Dearie me, there is just no pleasing some people! How about reserving judgment until we see the end result.

just because they spend time and money, does not make it great or worthwhile. imnsho, much of tv these days is puerile rubbish. As I mentioned earlier, my comments are based on what I know about it so far, based purely on the few items mentioned here. I'm not sure I'll bother to watch it.

• Administrators

just because they spend time and money, does not make it great or worthwhile. imnsho, much of tv these days is puerile rubbish. As I mentioned earlier, my comments are based on what I know about it so far, based purely on the few items mentioned here. I'm not sure I'll bother to watch it.

Who decides what is "great or worthwhile"? What you mean is, it doesn't appeal to you. That's fine. It's not costing you anything, nor affecting any other aspect of your life. There's lots of stuff on TV, most of it actually, that I don't watch but others enjoy it so that's fine.

I stand by my point that the publicity that surrounds the series will make it easier for a short period of time for model railway clubs to get welcome publicity. Even if you care nothing about the show, don't pass up the opportunity it offers.

• Like 1

Who decides what is "great or worthwhile"? What you mean is, it doesn't appeal to you. That's fine. It's not costing you anything, nor affecting any other aspect of your life. There's lots of stuff on TV, most of it actually, that I don't watch but others enjoy it so that's fine.

I stand by my point that the publicity that surrounds the series will make it easier for a short period of time for model railway clubs to get welcome publicity. Even if you care nothing about the show, don't pass up the opportunity it offers.

I totall agree Phil. I am looking forward to seeing it and I believe it will give clubs and model railway shows the chance to use this as an opportunity to further promote the hobby. I hope that the model press will also not miss the opportunity - featuring the show on the front cover might just grab a few new potential readers - you just never know.

The end result might be peurile rubbish. OTOH it might not. Given that the production company have form for making unpromising subjects both entertaining and non-cringeworthy for those with a bit of subject knowledge, I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt and reserve judgement until I see the show, should it make it to air.

• Like 2

An autumn showing would fit in well with exhibitions. It needs positive ideas, not the usual negativity you get from too many. Hopefully it will all go OK, and not descend into a mess, and show that 'spotty nerdly train spotters' can actually behave like adults, work in a team and get something completed. This was the big failing with James May's program, especially as all the other challenges were completed, and were actually properly thought out.

With coordination with magazines and model railway groups, possibly even some preserved railways, events/challenges could be set up on a smaller local scale.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

An autumn showing would fit in well with exhibitions. It needs positive ideas, not the usual negativity you get from too many. Hopefully it will all go OK, and not descend into a mess, and show that 'spotty nerdly train spotters' can actually behave like adults, work in a team and get something completed. This was the big failing with James May's program, especially as all the other challenges were completed, and were actually properly thought out.

With coordination with magazines and model railway groups, possibly even some preserved railways, events/challenges could be set up on a smaller local scale.

And there might be a mention of Warley, so prospective newcomers to the hobby might be tempted to go as the venue is quite a modern one, with great transport links (I took advantage of that at last year's show) and a reasonable distance from anywhere.

• Administrators

And there might be a mention of Warley, so prospective newcomers to the hobby might be tempted to go as the venue is quite a modern one, with great transport links (I took advantage of that at last year's show) and a reasonable distance from anywhere.

Not sure that being built in 1976 makes the NEC "quite modern" but then I suppose we conside anything post 1968 "modern image" :onthequiet: