Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

• RMweb Premium

I managed to get out to the club last night, and despite the sweltering temperatures, I pressed on and managed to get a few photos, and even run some things.

First up is the Restaurant Car and Open Third:

31228338507_304fe0c1d0_b.jpg

46116750562_3fc3f9e453_b.jpg

Still not 100% sure about the lettering layout, something doesn't seem right, but for now it will do, need to get it numbered appropriately too

46167744611_1c93a51bcc_b.jpg

Here's a recently acquired Hornby cattle wagon, with screw link couplings added and some light weathering

31228338607_304fe0c1d0_b.jpg

And here's a shot of an S15 simmering in a siding, this has been a bit of a mix and match of weathering styles, and will probably receive a repaint and renumber quite soon

45255073315_f65fd99610_b.jpg

And the recently finished H class sitting in the same siding looking a little grubby

46116750542_038d309328_b.jpg

Finally the H2 setting off - this will be finished soon, when the replacement detail bag arrives from Bachmann

If this was Strictly I would be saying fab U lous darling, but that might be misunderstood :onthequiet:

I'm going to have a search about that lettering jack. I'll get back to you if I find anything useful.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Apologies if I have missed this before but can you just clarify when exactly you want the Dining vehicles to be running so I can pin down the few pics I have. Thanks Jack

Phil

Hey Phil, 1947 is the specific year i'm after, more specifically, the last 6 months! Whatever info you've got would be appreciated - and thank you for your kind comments 'darling' ;) haha

If this was Strictly I would be saying fab U lous darling, but that might be misunderstood :onthequiet:

I'm going to have a search about that lettering jack. I'll get back to you if I find anything useful.

Phil

All the H2s were painted Malachite green after the War, starting with 2423 in June 1945.  Luckily for your time scale though, Jack, 2424 was the last to lose plain black livery, in October 1947!

Chris KT

• Like 2

All the H2s were painted Malachite green after the War, starting with 2423 in June 1945.  Luckily for your time scale though, Jack, 2424 was the last to lose plain black livery, in October 1947!

Chris KT

I did my research this time! She slots in nicely, I've got my fingers crossed that there will still be a malachite release. I did consider painting it green, I didn't fancy lining out another loco - which leads me nicely to this: 

46180902401_24d1abaa33_b.jpg

I've finished off the boiler bands, I still need to do the lining on the other Cab-side and Smoke deflectors and the rest of the splashers, then figure out how to attach the nameplates. Not much really, but progress nonetheless!

I'm also in a unique position, I've acquired x3 2.5m x 60cm boards.. which i'm not sure what to do with yet - suggestions?

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hey Phil, 1947 is the specific year i'm after, more specifically, the last 6 months! Whatever info you've got would be appreciated - and thank you for your kind comments 'darling' ;) haha

OK I shall spend some time later today doing a quick peruse. I believe yours looks OK but I suspect the lettering may have been a little higher on the side from what I remember. In all honesty I think yours looks damn fine and however much of a niggle it may be to yourself,  I doubt anyone will know different unless they can produce an actual photo of that vehicle in late 1947!!!!!

I'm surprised Mr Muzz is also not able to be definitive; demonstrates the lack of evidence I am sure.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I did my research this time! She slots in nicely, I've got my fingers crossed that there will still be a malachite release. I did consider painting it green, I didn't fancy lining out another loco - which leads me nicely to this: 

46180902401_24d1abaa33_b.jpg

I've finished off the boiler bands, I still need to do the lining on the other Cab-side and Smoke deflectors and the rest of the splashers, then figure out how to attach the nameplates. Not much really, but progress nonetheless!

I'm also in a unique position, I've acquired x3 2.5m x 60cm boards.. which i'm not sure what to do with yet - suggestions?

Sounds like a small and compact Jetty/Quay/Harbour shunting set up in Plymuff (or very similar); B4s anyone?

Edited by Mallard60022

A quick update:

The N15x tender got paint today, so I thought i'd take a video of it instead of photos, Excuse the music. Still plenty more to do, but it's starting to look like an actual loco!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 8

Same vein as last time, a video of what i've been doing.

This time the Bachmann H2, which is nearly finished, she needs the bufferbeam number and then the vac pipe added and the crew is currently drying, ready to go in.

• Like 5

32472062968_a7641e4595_b.jpg

31404770457_01ef696015_b.jpg

Another quick update on the H2 - Fitted the rest of the buffer-beam details, and added the number.

Needs a coat of either gloss or satin varnish and then weathering to finish it off!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

31228338607_304fe0c1d0_b.jpg

And here's a shot of an S15 simmering in a siding, this has been a bit of a mix and match of weathering styles, and will probably receive a repaint and renumber quite soon

Why?  It looks superb to me!  A wonderfully grubby finish.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

It looks amazing Jack! Though it seems a shame to take that matte effect away, but then I'm a sucker for matte effect things from locos to lipstick so maybe it's just my muted preferences :P Nevertheless, a lovely locomotive.

I'm so torn, although my logic is that If I spray it with a gloss/satin, i'll be able to get the metallic-y shine and then I can use some matt black and other colours to add tonal variations - it does look really good though, I'm very happy with the outcome, and thank you for your kind words!

Why?  It looks superb to me!  A wonderfully grubby finish.

Cheers, Dave.

Why? Honestly It's progress, would you believe it, but the more I keep doing things the more I think I refine my skills, so looking back at the first loco that re-ignited my passion for the Hobby (the S15) I keep thinking how I would do it differently if I could start again. Maybe some slight modifications and a change of number to better suit my theoretical location. 

Another issue that arises from progressing is that if I line my locos up they all have different styles of finishes, which Is probably correct but in reality when I look at the quality of your modelling, so much of it actually boils down to consistency - they all follow a similar build, painting, finishing and weathering practice. Which ties everything in nicely! I also made the move from acrylic to enamel, and the matt effect of enamel is far more intense than the matt effect I managed to achieve with acrylic!

I do appreciate your comments though Dave - hopefully i've explained my reasoning!

Edited by Jack P

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jack

Surely the key thing about weathering is inconsistency!

You would not want every loco to look the same - which is the big problem with factory weathered stock - especially D*pol which has a characteristic brown tidemark about half way up each vehicle!

My biggest struggle is to get each loco to look different - less or more airbrush weathering, the use of pigments in different places and so on; in particular I find light weathering far more difficult than heavy weathering!

By the way I think your loco painting is excellent, so I have no words of criticism.

Best wishes

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Jack

Surely the key thing about weathering is inconsistency!

You would not want every loco to look the same - which is the big problem with factory weathered stock - especially D*pol which has a characteristic brown tidemark about half way up each vehicle!

My biggest struggle is to get each loco to look different - less or more airbrush weathering, the use of pigments in different places and so on; in particular I find light weathering far more difficult than heavy weathering!

By the way I think your loco painting is excellent, so I have no words of criticism.

Best wishes

Tony

Hey Tony, 

I absolutely agree that inconsistency is key (as odd as that sounds). However I guess for myself. I find myself in a position where i've used multiple different styles to obtain different finishes and different mediums as I experimented. I've not settled on what i'm comfortable using and what I think produces the finish closest to what i'm trying to achieve. The issue I have is that I look back at some of what i've done and I think I can do better now (the relentless march of progress strikes again) Much as i'm sure I'll look back at the N15x in a few years and think I could do it better again! In summary: What I'm aiming for is a consistent style of inconsistency. 

That being said, nothing is worse than the manufacturers 'tide mark' weathered finish!

I appreciate your comments Tony, I think you're being particularly nice though (possibly the time of year?)  :angel:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate your comments Tony, I think you're being particularly nice though (possibly the time of year?)  :angel:

No I'm just always nice  - but i know what you mean about looking back and knowing that you can do better! I have a whole area of my layout that was more or less completed about 10 years ago, and whilst it doesn't look bad at first sight, I know that it is not up to the standard that I now want / and/or achieve. Conversely, I don't have time to go back and do it again as I there are other areas that are yet to be started!

Life's too short! :scratchhead:

Tony

• Like 1

No I'm just always nice  - but i know what you mean about looking back and knowing that you can do better! I have a whole area of my layout that was more or less completed about 10 years ago, and whilst it doesn't look bad at first sight, I know that it is not up to the standard that I now want / and/or achieve. Conversely, I don't have time to go back and do it again as I there are other areas that are yet to be started!

Life's too short! :scratchhead:

Tony

I completely agree! I'm tossing up going EM/P4 again, i'm in a somewhat beneficial position, in that I've not started building a layout yet so I don't have to worry about re-doing track etc etc. That being said, the products on offer from DCC concepts and even the new Peco track make sticking with finescale OO far more appealing. I completely agree that life is too short - I don't think the time of year helps at all!

Now do I repaint my Birdcages or just wait for the Malachite releases?

Or both..

• Like 3

Phil

The question of the malachite and sunshine 1945-47 lettering placement has come up on several forums/topics and no one has yet provided a definitive answer let alone a photo (even B/W will do) of one of the kitchen/dining first cars after postwar reconditioning. I would guess most of us are using the Hornby BR Southern green car paint rather than fully disassemble and repaint. 

Wait for the malachite releases, if they're already in SR Green. Have a bit of variety amongst that sea of malachite.

Heh, Sea of malachite! That certainly sounds appealing to me. I think the issue I face is that I know it's not prototypical to have only malachite coaches but I want malachite coaches! i'll see how I get on, it depends on how far away the malachite ones are!

• Like 1

Readers, lurkers and angry neighbors,

46440897061_93581f835b_b.jpg

I have come to a point where I need to make a decision. I've been slaving away over this N15x for a long while now. However, there is one main part that i'm not happy with, and it's the lining. The HMRS stuff just isn't fine enough. This is the tender, which has only had the rear and this side done. I've got a fox transfers lining pack for this type of KA tender, and enough straight and curved bits to do the loco and tender again. I've done opposing sides, but in reality I've effectively lined 60% of the model.

I could press on and finish it off, or I could strip it back, and repaint it in a slightly less 'Doncaster' green. (admittedly the lighting did not help this picture) With finer lining. there are also a few things that need addressing in terms of the actual construction (read: soldering Iron), and i'd need to strip the paint (in areas) to do that anyways.

This is my first ever kit-build and i'm so torn, but the question I pose is: Should I? What do you lot think?

Edit: Locoyard's pic of the malachite liveried N15 '777' 

015-2013-great-spring-steam-gala-watercr

Edited by Jack P

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jack.

You are clearly not happy with things as they are but are your expectations realistic?

You have done a lot of work already and it appears a considerable amount will be undone only to be made good afterwards.

This is already to a very high standard for a first kit. You could treat it as learning tool. Complete it as is and move onto the next one, improving on the second kit those areas where you think could be better on the first.

By the time you are three or four kits down the line then perhaps then revisit this loco.

Earlier in the thread you mention thinking about EM gauge.

For what it's worth I would stay with OO. Try building a small layout to run some of the smaller locos on. The scenic parts of my layouts are no more than 4ft so it is achievable.

In any event, you create lovely locos. Just enjoy yourself and don't worry too much about how things look.

Trust me when I say your modelling is to a very high standard indeed. I prefer to tinker with RTR but await with some interest the emergence of a Brighton mogul from you 'works'

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Go with your instincts. Strip it and start again. Not sure how old you are, but you will have to look at this for 40? 50? 60? years and hold it up as your first ever kit-built loco. You must get it right, so that a future you can be proud of you. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've found that my standards go up over time, along with practice and improving skills; if you go for perfection from the start, you may never have time to build a layout to run things on. Yes, there are now things that I would have done differently but I have been getting pleasure from my layout for years already - and if I live long enough I just might go back and do some early bits again!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Happy Christmas

Tony

• Like 3

I appreciates everyone's input,

In any case the N15x is off to DLT of this Parish to have the motion built. I can admit that it is outside the scope of my abilities at the moment, and I don't want to have put in all this work just to have the loco be static. Once it returns i'll make the decision - i'm definitely torn. But I think as Daddyman says - I want to look back on  this and be proud that it was my best work (and a bit of DLT's).

45556250435_9c1e9fc425_b.jpg

Speaking of work, I've made a little bit more progress on the H2, a coat of gloss varnish and then matt black over the top of the boiler and smokebox and frame dirt on the lower portion, It's now ready for powders and some further light weathering, crew, lamps and some tender bits and bobs.

A friend of mine has recently come across 40 Tonnes of coal, in the basement of an old hospital, which means by effect, that i'll have a few KG's coming my way which finally means I can start coaling my tenders/bunkers etc!

I also just want to take a moment and thank everyone that has been a part of my 'Modelling Journey' over the past year, feedback is one of the most helpful things, So thank you all, and whatever you might be doing on the night of the 31st - have a safe and happy New Year!

• Like 6