Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

A brilliant idea that I saw earlier today, and which had me fooled. When properly aligned, it is all but undetectable.

It’s magnetic paper, printed on a home computer.

It doesn’t work on brass or plastic! Not without additional jiggery-pokery anyway.

This I must try as a way of ‘re-painting’ my LNER goods engine to LBSCR.

post-26817-0-66395600-1542481862_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-59756900-1542481878_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

What a brilliant idea.  nyZaJwU.gif

Edit:  This method would also transform fixing repair lithos onto damaged tinplate coaches and vans.  No more problems over which glue to use and trying to apply the litho without it wrinkling.

Edited by Annie

Yep.

It’s already struck me that this might be the best way to tackle adding faux-windows and other features to the ends of brake-thirds to make motor trains. I’ve been wanting to do this, as have several other people I know, but we’ve shied-off, for fear of mucking-up wallpapering on otherwise perfect coaches.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

What a brilliant idea.  nyZaJwU.gif

Edit:  This method would also transform fixing repair lithos onto damaged tinplate coaches and vans.  No more problems over which glue to use and trying to apply the litho without it wrinkling.

Yes, I use that same method on my models (most of them).

• Like 1

post-21098-0-03518100-1543533697_thumb.jpg

A change from GW milk trains as the LMS had them also.  Here a No.1 Special fitted with a No.2 tender passes the main power input, unavoidably situated and too close to the tracks to be disguised.  But these are electric trains and the electricity has to come from somewhere!

Brian.

• Like 4

I don't know, Brian. You could have used a flat plug (which would take the wire out parallel to the wall, avoiding that loop), and then put a model of a redwood in front!

And don't say a redwood would be out of place. I just saw an item on the BBC about a 200-year old redwood that a developer cut down "by mistake" in Swansea!

Gordon

Very good milk train.

If I get a minute, I'll post an SR milk train tomorrow, to ensure balance of coverage!

And, there is an 150+ year old Redwood in the churchyard a few hundred yards from our house ...... in fact I think it is visible from our top, front bedroom window. Plant collectors are to blame, I suspect. 

My "redwood' is a little skinny, Gordon; all that would fit the space though!  The cord is a left over from building as when I first realised it was there, it was too late and by that time, I wasn't about to tear into the 'scenery'!

Brian.

He was replicated from an apparently rare Kew figure, by Graham Lock. I'd never even heard of Kew until buying this little chap.

Having swotted-up, they made some very characterful figures, but they were a bit anatomically challenged. And, I've concluded that some of the already fairly ancient bits of cast-metal hedge that I played with as a child were theirs, rather than Britains.

Edited by Nearholmer

It is; see p35 above for details.

Needs work though, in that the (female) winder is quite worn. It will take a key, but I don't want to damage it further, so for now I wind it up by putting it in gear and pushing it slowly round the layout backwards!

The paintwork is a fairly rough job by a previous owner, so really that ought to come off and be replaced with pain black, possibly with SR green goods lining.

• Like 1

I've bought a few containers from Graham, including one of those converted into a canteen. I should look more closely at what else he has to offer.

That particular figure looks reasonably anatomically correct, if you ignore the neck area, which may well be a casting fault in the original - correctable with a file or Dremel if it offends...

I have to say the tinprinting on that Darstaed Southern milk van looks rather crisper than on the salmon pink LSWR equivalent.

My vehicles, milk for the transport, of are an eclectic lot, and don't really go together as a train - the aforementioned LSWR van, and two United Dairies/GWR tankers - one 4-wheel and the other 6-wheel.

Gordon

The Darstaed ‘nude’ van is one thing I regret collecting! The printing is, as you say, a bit fuzzy, and the livery I have great doubts about. I think it may be based on a very ambiguous phrase in Carter’s pre-grouping livery book. Does anyone know for sure whether or not it is authentic?

Not to damn Darstaed, though. Most of their coach printing OK, and a few items are truly excellent. The Stove van in late LMS livery is very good, and the early LMS livery full-brake in their more recent coarse series is marvellous.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

Went back to look at the loco, agree with you a repaint wouldn’t do it any harm, the green might be a loss, but proper ‘Southern’ lettering and big nombers would lift it no end. For the milk van, I like it, looks nice. Article from the M.R.N. September 1951. There’s drawings by Tustin for a 6 wheeler like yours in LSWR paint, and a 4 wheeler in SR paint. It looks like Daerstaedt have used a SR scheme with LSWR lettering. I still like it.

post-26540-0-80183300-1543694022_thumb.jpeg

post-26540-0-31635200-1543694051_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah well, Tustin says “in their early LSWR days these vans were painted brown and salmon and later sage green (introduced from 1915).

There’s one not too far from you in the original paint scheme:

post-26540-0-61248900-1543698174.jpeg

HMRS livery register “some of the 32’ six wheel milk vans painted salmon all over sides and ends when new in 1907, to keep them cool in hot weather.... other coaching stock vans were painted plain brown” ( and then sage green , horseboxes and other van stock) which is where daerstedtt come in..

post-26540-0-56641400-1543698552.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Quite a few years ago I made a litho version of this milk van in Southern colours and I even went so far as to make another one with layered paper sides and full 'lace doily' panelling on a handmade wooden bodyshell.  I did think about painting it in LSWR colours with full lining, but chickened out and it ended up being plain green.

• Like 2

It was definitely correct on at least one. There is a picture of it in Volume 3 of G.R.Weddell's treatise on LSWR Coaches, in which he notes that it isn't clear if the rest were so paainted. The same picture appears in Ernest Protheroe's Railways of the World (which was published ca 1912).

I don't regret getting it at all, despite the slight fuzziness in the printing (I suspect certain colours are more difficult than others). Having that as well as an Ace/Wright LSWR full brake and a 3-coach set of six-wheelers from Ace gives a nice variation of livery colours and rooflines, as befitting such a train.

Gordon

I’ve finally given-in to the ‘no buses on bridges’ lobby, having found this very cheap and badly-made, but I think cheerful, tin tram for sale as an ornament.

Mrs Goggins has walked round the corner from the station, to the inconveniently-located tram stop, to complete her trip back to No.17 Omdurman Road.

post-26817-0-45921300-1544192673_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 12