RMweb

Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

a heavily damaged "Pytchley

I've a couple of those old Trix Hunt class diecast bodies and 2 or 3 plastic bodies from Hornby.

Somewhere in the tuit bin I started to motorise one of the Trix bodies with a hacked down HD R1 chassis using maybe HD Duchess driving wheels (or bigger,I need to check dimensions). I'm a 3 railer so would also have to fit a skate pickup under the tender or a home brewed one under the loco.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6335&start=15

I found the above article on the LNER forum regarding a conversion to ''The Morpeth'' which was an inside cylinder experiment. Might have a go at this using the Hornby bodies.

Regards, Rich

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

IMG_7087.jpeg.704fdce20df3ad85de7bd7441518df60.jpegIMG_3720.jpeg.92b8e3c1736641b2e40608510968bccf.jpeg

First image is the aforementioned Pytchley, friend got it for around £5 at a sale, that’s the condition I got it in, I did attempt a repaint not long after but I’m going to redo this soon.

Second is one of the 0-4-0s, tender needs no mods, loco is a bit of a faff though, going to strip the chassis apart and fit new wheels with more secure rod mounts, and figure out a safer way of securing the body, currently only a press fit.

• Like 3

Don’t know about the L1 chassis, since, from what I can tell, the 4-4-0s and 0-4-0s share the same main chassis, which I’ve deducted the Nellie chassis has the best wheel spacing for a replacement, L1 would likely be too long, could likely do a cut-down Jinty too… either way, would be interested to see how you tackle the modifications considering you’re a lot more experienced than I.

I do have two of the 0-4-0 tender locos, one I’m working on repainting, the other (one in my last post) still has its original paint, flaking off, I have a tender for it too… If you are interested then let me know, I don’t mind letting one go, I still have the 0-4-0T and Pytchley to tackle.

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 1

It's one of those types of conversions that I have thought about for quite a while, given the amount of "Cheap Tricks" (see what I did there?), out there. I did dabble with a Pytchley, K's tender drive, L1 chassis combo, a few years back, but ended up using the bits on other projects. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

IMG_7087.jpeg.704fdce20df3ad85de7bd7441518df60.jpeg

Just realised I need to find new valve gear for this thing… I’m considering Dapol Prairie valve gear, since I don’t want to butcher another Pytchley for this, nor do I want to join the TTRCA just for replica components, I also need to find a new front bogie, again, not keen on the thought of butchering a complete Pytchley just for that model… Maybe a Triang Princess bogie? I’m pretty sure I’ve got a few of those laying around.

(Photos from google) I’m also debating if I make a false motor terminal to go on the left side, or if I try and fill the gap left behind from removing it.IMG_3723.jpeg.6bc8c751bffa7cf9a1963f9c4ad7f8c8.jpegIMG_3724.jpeg.a81f5ffedc0d64635f879576be10e07f.jpeg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I'm quite intrigued with the Davy Crockett 4-4-0 on a Jinty chassis?

Very battered now, quick bodge of cab roof for pic.  Ran on Triang  Transcontinental Super 4 floor layout which we took on holiday  for many years,  Also 4-6-0 version Princess chassis Jinty wheels tender started as Bogie flat with half a tanker body as far as I can recall

DSCN2081.JPG

DSCN2079.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Welp, I’ve begun preparing chassis’s for two more 6100s, and I’m about to prep a third.IMG_3758.jpeg.33741d6e08978b05f98b1b75a141edff.jpeg

If I suddenly become inactive, I’ve likely been taken hostage by the 6100s for allowing them to repopulate, and sacrificed to please uncle Collett.

Also trying out some different wheels, same chassis design, Jinty block with bigger wheels, but I’m using tender drive 5MT wheels on one of them this time, shallower flanges so I should be able to run these at the local club.IMG_3765.jpeg.4adf8040d8047bb67b1a47e1afdaf92e.jpeg

Added photo
  • Like 7

On 22/10/2023 at 18:22, ColinK said:

Looks good.

Others think so - currently the huge Janus is at £29.15 with just over half an hour left to bid, should anyone be so inclined.

Having resisted the Huntley & Palmer W4 Peckett (and believe me, I was sorely tempted), I think I can resist this particular offering despite the fact that I, too, think it is a very nice example of imaginative and well implemented “pug bashing”

Steve S

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Anything of interest to you creative types here (tempted by a couple myself but must resist......resist......😬😜!)

https://elaines-trains.co.uk/index.php?pg=new

Very reasonable prices compared to some of the nonsense prices asked on eBay and by traders at shows.  No personal connection, usual disclaimer, etc.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Anything of interest to you creative types here (tempted by a couple myself but must resist......resist......😬😜!)

https://elaines-trains.co.uk/index.php?pg=new

Might have just found my new eBay alternative… Ordered one of the cheaper items today, Elaine’s customer service is amazing and her prices even better, might just start buying from her more often.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Very reasonable prices compared to some of the nonsense prices asked on eBay and by traders at shows.  No personal connection, usual disclaimer, etc.

3 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Might have just found my new eBay alternative… Ordered one of the cheaper items today, Elaine’s customer service is amazing and her prices even better, might just start buying from her more often.

Yes, I've placed several orders with Elaine over the past few years, and keep a regular eye on the website as you never know what might turn up, and always at very reasonable prices as @Northmoor says. For example, a few months ago a Heljan Class 47 cast chassis block and Hornby underframe (for the middle bit) came up which brought the drivetrain of a Mazak Rot victim back to life after 15 years in storage - well pleased about that! 

I appreciate the trouble Elaine takes to photograph items from every angle, supported by a 'warts n all' description so you know exactly what you're buying. This must take some time to do but it's really helpful.

Also as @Northmoor says, I too have no personal connection, just a very happy customer. However this time I must resist the temptation to add to........oooh, hang on, I wonder if I could do something with that Mainline Warship, since I have some bits......🤔......🙄.......🥴!

Oh well, let's mull it over while pressing on with 'Ethel 1'.......Elaine had something to do with that too.......it's complicated, what happened was........oh sorry, my tea's ready 😜!

• Like 3

On 27/10/2023 at 00:03, DCB said:

Very battered now, quick bodge of cab roof for pic.  Ran on Triang  Transcontinental Super 4 floor layout which we took on holiday  for many years,  Also 4-6-0 version Princess chassis Jinty wheels tender started as Bogie flat with half a tanker body as far as I can recall

DSCN2081.JPG

DSCN2079.JPG

Those are rather good; one has to wonder why Tri-Ang didn't produce a 4-4-0, given that they had all the parts on the shelf. 

I think the Vanderbilt tender is too late, rather than the wrong size 

• Thanks 1

On 27/10/2023 at 23:39, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Welp, I’ve begun preparing chassis’s for two more 6100s, and I’m about to prep a third.

If I suddenly become inactive, I’ve likely been taken hostage by the 6100s for allowing them to repopulate, and sacrificed to please uncle Collett.

Also trying out some different wheels, same chassis design, Jinty block with bigger wheels, but I’m using tender drive 5MT wheels on one of them this time, shallower flanges so I should be able to run these at the local club.

A compulsion to build the ultimate 51/61/81XX  without spending much money is something I have enjoyed for many years.    I have  2 X 2015 era Hornby Prairies I really don't like, feeble performers, a couple of Graham Farish 81XX Prairies on Triang B12 / Hall chassis with Hall cylinders Princess (I think) Conrods and Hornby Dublo wheels, 1 has 4MT with long throw cranks and the  other Duchess with short throw both 22mm ish.   Chassis is 3mm too short coupled wheelbase 28 + 28mm    and drives the front axle.  Just needs the splashers ground out to stop arcing.   Both built 40 years ago and one in almost constant use as my main banker.  The Jinty chassis is 30 +31mm ideal for a KIng, so comes too far back under the cab but a lot of people used the Princess chassis which from memory is 26 + 26 mm, centre axle drive  with 22mm wheels.  On the Kitmaster Prairie, the splasher grinding is not  so important with the plastic body.   Oddly enough I bought one recently as part of a Job lot as I wanted the Princess Chassis and now have  plans to put a Bachmann 43XX mech under an Airfix or Hornby body as the 20 year old Bachmann runs  better than the 5 year old Hornby, 

Edited by DCB
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 01/11/2023 at 23:06, DCB said:

a lot of people used the Princess chassis which from memory is 26 + 26 mm, centre axle drive  with 22mm wheels.

I personally find the Princess too short, likewise, as you said, the Jinty is too long. Personally I reckon a B12 chassis would be the optimal Triang chassis for the job, will have to double check, I’ve seen it under the K’master Bulleid kit though, 33C recommended the Princess for that, which I’ve tried, a decent fit, not to mention it’s what Triang themselves used, but the B12 is just that slightest bit longer which supplies the optimal spacing. Will have to check the B12 to my GMR 6100 to see if that’s the best of the three, not as short as the Princess chassis, yet not as long as the Jinty’s, if not then I did do some measurements and found that the B12 with the early, smaller, solid Princess wheels would be a perfect chassis for extending the 4MT mogul kit to a 4-6-0…

I’ll also keep the comment about the Jinty chassis being great for a King in mind…

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

Introducing Nellie's big sister, Gertie!

IMG20231109155734.jpg.8168ce8215f295f8e073e9f5c7f84f19.jpg

As you can see, she's a hefty girl 🫡

Bachmann Junior chassis? Personally I feel the body’s slightly too long, but that’s probably just me… Has the same sort of vibe as the J94s and how the front and rear ends hang a fair distance from the end of the chassis. That’s probably just me though.

Also, you got anything in mind regarding liveries?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

Introducing Nellie's big sister, Gertie!

IMG20231109155734.jpg.8168ce8215f295f8e073e9f5c7f84f19.jpg

As you can see, she's a hefty girl 🫡

I've fancied doing this sort of conversion for a while, your pic might prompt me to actually crack on :) It strikes me that adding a pony truck, in the gap under the rear bunker, might give a suitably vintage pre-grouping/GWR-absorbed coal hauler from the Welsh valleys...

• Like 5