Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think that if you do that you could pass it off as ex Barry or Rhymney Railway.

20211120_143330.jpg.303c3f21d4c41ef29bb9286f01eb2136.jpg

A little bit of work, might be able to make it look like Taff Vale 85, now on the KWVR. Narrow the cab, round-off the tank tops... dammit, where's my razor-saw :)

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ben B said:

20211120_143330.jpg.303c3f21d4c41ef29bb9286f01eb2136.jpg

A little bit of work, might be able to make it look like Taff Vale 85, now on the KWVR. Narrow the cab, round-off the tank tops... dammit, where's my razor-saw :)

That lining looks classy on the black too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

A Sm (1:64 scale metre gauge) narrow gauge parcels brake with influences from the South Australia Railways 8300 class. Built from a cheap Chinese AliExpress coach

The primer coat has highlighted some bits that need tidying up, then it needs a nice 1970s refurb style paint scheme

la7BOL0l.jpg

YKw6UtLl.png

7QQKK6Al.jpg

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, Talltim said:

A Sm (1:64 scale metre gauge) narrow gauge parcels brake with influences from the South Australia Railways 8300 class. Built from a cheap Chinese AliExpress coach

The primer coat has highlighted some bits that need tidying up, then it needs a nice 1970s refurb style paint scheme

la7BOL0l.jpg

YKw6UtLl.png

7QQKK6Al.jpg

Very nice. That could almost fit into @33C’s cheapo creative thread as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

A few oldies from my collection. Jinty conversions, an early diesel on a Hornby Ringfield tender chassis, and the humble Tri-ang clockwork tank

PXL_20231117_070942660.jpg

PXL_20231117_071106922.jpg

PXL_20231117_071050014.jpg

PXL_20231117_071034361.jpg

Have you got some more shots of the boxcab diesel please, showing the cab fronts? Very interesting conversion! 

And that lined-out clockwork tank looks mint, I really like it :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 17/11/2023 at 07:39, papagolfjuliet said:

A few oldies from my collection. Jinty conversions, an early diesel on a Hornby Ringfield tender chassis, and the humble Tri-ang clockwork tank

PXL_20231117_070942660.jpg

PXL_20231117_071106922.jpg

PXL_20231117_071050014.jpg

PXL_20231117_071034361.jpg

love the brown livery on that first Jinty, reminds me of Triang’s railway children set, though I much prefer what you’ve done in terms of a brown Jinty.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

love the brown livery on that first Jinty, reminds me of Triang’s railway children set, though I much prefer what you’ve done in terms of a brown Jinty.

It's actually maroon, but the lighting makes it look darker. It was done for me by a friend in (IIRC) 1987 using a Hornby Railway Children Jinty which had been bought very cheaply because one tank had a huge crack in it; that was the year in which Butterley painted 47357 in BR lined maroon and this was done in anticipation; I will say that mine entered service first!

LMS 'Jinty' 0-6-0T Class 3F 47357 & BR 2-6-4T Standard Class 4MT No 80080 and LMS 3F No 47327 with LMS 2-8-0 Class 7F No 13809 await departures on service trains in Butterley Station (Midland Railway Centre) on 14th May 1994

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Meanwhile here is my 0-8-0 rebuild into a 10.1/4" miniture railway engine still a work in progress but even the chickens were intrested...

Reviewtime(1).jpg.451d4a04da9f92b3b0768a7385b91dd1.jpg 

Is that Wesley Pegden with the glasses taking a look at your engine. Be worried if he says it's running a bit rough...........😁

gordon-wharmby.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I just picked up a Dapol L&Y Pug.   I haven't opened it yet.   I seem to remember the motor is to the rear and vertical.   Is there a method to laying it forward and horizontal if it is?

A High Level chassis kit is likely to be the easiest and best answer unless you have access a milling machine and know how to use it.

Otherwise it'll be a fairly brutal and uncertain process using  drills and files.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

25 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I just picked up a Dapol L&Y Pug.   I haven't opened it yet.   I seem to remember the motor is to the rear and vertical.   Is there a method to laying it forward and horizontal if it is?

Might I recommend Little Wicket’s pug conversion? Involves a 3D printed replacement motor mount which takes a coreless motor, mounted diagonally, though you could likely toss something together out of plasticard.

IMG_4570.jpeg.df314e41f428455936bb6cf2e39448fa.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

55 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

The Pug is awkward,  The Kit pug had a motorised chassis with a great big Triang X04 motor from Kemilway or similar which left the cab clear yet the Dapol has a tiny motor stuck up like a sore thumb.   I used a brass chassis with a long CD drive motor 60:1 Romford gears Romford wheels etc under an Airfix pug, never did make the con rods etc work properly  but the kit bodies are not true,  they are out of plumb and it annoys me intensely, so I want a  Dapol RTR body for my brass chassis.    Hence my suggestion would be to get a brass chassis

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, DCB said:

The Pug is awkward,  The Kit pug had a motorised chassis with a great big Triang X04 motor from Kemilway or similar which left the cab clear yet the Dapol has a tiny motor stuck up like a sore thumb.   I used a brass chassis with a long CD drive motor 60:1 Romford gears Romford wheels etc under an Airfix pug, never did make the con rods etc work properly  but the kit bodies are not true,  they are out of plumb and it annoys me intensely, so I want a  Dapol RTR body for my brass chassis.    Hence my suggestion would be to get a brass chassis

The problem I found is not only is the original motor pretty horrible, the meshing of the gears was maintained by various bits of plasticard shims that look like an afterthought. I would like to replace the motor with something smaller and more reliable, whilst keeping within the spirit of a bitsa model.

39 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

Im working on a 7mm Bagnall on a pug with a new motor, cant remember what i got it from (photo from 2 years ago)spacer.png

That looks interesting, do you have any recent photos? I imagine that the motor is hidden in the firebox?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1