RMweb

Unusual Layout Names

• RMweb Gold

Before deciding to set my fictitious South Wales valleys blt in a real geographical location in order to set the mood of the precise locality I had in mind, I considered using the equally fictional location of a BBC Wales comedy drama and calling it 'Cwm Pen-ol'; there is supposed to be a circumflex on the 'o' but I don't know how to type it.  It translates as A%*@hole Valley...  The BBC series was, I believe, mostly shot in Maerdy, a good location to model but a bit north and east of what I wanted.

It is set in an alternative version of the real Dimbath valley, a tributary of the Ogwr Fawr which joins that river just upstream from Brynmenyn (Butter Hill), the valley between Ogmore Vale and Gilfach Goch, one of the very few valleys to have not, in reality, been devastated by the industrial revolution and an example of the sylvan loveliness that all the valleys must have once presented.  It is undermined for coal from collieries in the valleys each side of it, but my alternative reality is that there was a mine, not modelled, and a mining village needing a passenger station and goods siding in this very steep and narrow valley.  I have loosely based it on the real Abergwynfi.

Nahhhh - Birnham Wood for Dunsinane.....  

Hardly any need to change trains.  For Birnham Wood will come to Dunsinane...

Folks, it's Birnam - no "h".  The "ham" suffix meaning farm or homestead is Old English in origin, which suggests to me that it's probably not relevant in the etymology of Birnam as a place name.  There is no named settlement shown in the location of present-day Birnam on James Stobie's 1805 map of the counties of Perth and Clackmannan, or John Thomson's 1832 Atlas of Scotland (both maps courtesy of the National Library of Scotland maps web site).  Stobie's map shows a place called Burnbane around four miles roughly south-east of modern Birnam, on the south bank of the Tay opposite Caputh on the north bank.  There's no mention of Birnam Wood.  Thomson's map also shows Burnbane in roughly the same location, and an earlier map names the area as Burnbean.  Only Thomson's map shows Birnam Forest, in more or less the area that the OS puts Birnam Wood these days.

According to the local tourist association's web site the village itself is Victorian in origin, having arisen around the terminus of the Perth and Dunkeld Railway.  It wouldn't surprise me if someone decided to name the new settlement as a romantic allusion to Shakespeare, in an attempt to drum up tourist trade.  The station was originally just named after the nearby and much more ancient town of Dunkeld, but these days it's called Dunkeld and Birnam.

By the way, according to the current OS map it's 11½ miles from Birnam Wood to Dunsinane Hill as the crow flies, and requires a crossing of the River Tay.  Pretty good going if you're on foot and having to carry a chunk of tree as camouflage in addition to all your regular accoutrements of medieval infantry warfare!  Actually, this makes me wonder whether Shakespeare's Birnam might have been a corruption of Burnbane, since there does appear to have been a crossing of the Tay there.  (Dunsinane Hill is, of course, a tautologous place name.)

My favourite place name in the area is Tullybelton.  Whenever I see the signs for it as I drive up the A9 I always do a momentary double-take; for some reason my brain always registers it a Bellybutton for a fraction of a second...

I drew up plans many years ago for a layout set in the Mallee region around the South Australian / Victorian border. The line was to pass through a wheat and sheep property typical of the area called 'Uppson Downs' which would have given the name to the layout. Never did get built in the end as I sold the bulk of my SAR stock.

Dave R.

Fictitious names or places which need a station but never had one, spring to my mind unbidden.

Boldmere

Cotteridge

East Bromwich

Brunswick Green

Utterley

Llan Droffar

Folks, it's Birnam - no "h".

By the way, according to the current OS map it's 11½ miles from Birnam Wood to Dunsinane Hill as the crow flies, and requires a crossing of the River Tay......Actually, this makes me wonder whether Shakespeare's Birnam might have been a corruption of Burnbane, since there does appear to have been a crossing of the Tay there. (Dunsinane Hill is, of course, a tautologous place name.)

My favourite place name in the area is Tullybelton. Whenever I see the signs for it as I drive up the A9 I always do a momentary double-take; for some reason my brain always registers it a Bellybutton for a fraction of a second...

I'd imagine that Shakespeare's Scotland was like Conan Doyle's London; a place he had read about, but not (when the first tranche of Holmes stories were written) visited; containing half-familiar place names and urban myths aplenty. Shakespeare proverbially spelt his own name several different ways, after all..

I saw the "misread words" thing a while ago, in Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Couldn't find a Ripleys reference but I did find this. https://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/cmabridge/

There was Gordon Gravett's, full named, "Half Term at Ditchling Green".

I suggested a name, which was adopted, when we were planning an On30 logging layout at Crawley Model Railway Society; "Groenen Creek".

I have always fancied building a small Southern isolated station, serving the two nearby villages of "Windy Bottom and Belching".

A while ago, I was trying to find a definitive text of the Dubliners' song "MacAlpines Fusiliers". Considering that this is a much-recorded song, written by a known author within living memory, and still in copyright, it was surprisingly difficult!

The spoken monologue varies widely between versions, and is sometimes omitted altogether given its late-1930s context. The "pincher ladies" referred to, have defied consistent interpretation. It is sometimes described as being "to a traditional air" - the tune "The Jackets Green" in fact - but I've heard it set to several different tunes.

"Shuttering" is often rendered as "shuddering" and the JAMB of a shutter, is a section of the shutter which forms a structural key, enabling it to be struck (dismantled) in the right order. The "hydro dam" referred to, is most commonly attributed to the Alwen Dam, part of a reservoir system which was built by Sir Robert MacAlpine between 1909 and 1921. There WAS a programme of building hydro-electric dams in Scotland between 1945-65 but the great Dinorwic project, much hated by a generation of construction workers for its remote location and bleak conditions, came later. "The Isle of Grain" references pre-date the notorious power station project.

The song itself was first published and performed in the late 1960s, but seems to have continued to evolve ever since...

If all this can be found in a short popular song still in copyright, we need hardly be surprised at errors of fact in a play written by a man five centuries dead, about a place he never visited!

A group of like-minded friends of mine were going to build an exhibition layout based in South Wales featuring colliery etc. workings. Someone? came up with the tentative name of 'Pant-Y-Snyffyn'. 

We never did get anywhere with it!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

I think there's a difference between unusual names intended in the op and the common puns mentioned a lot above. Nothing wrong with the puns and backwards names but they aren't unusual on the show circuit ;)

Like the OP said something that's not a real or made up place name, of whatever source. Names like Gresley Beat, Holiday Haunts or First Sunday in June evoke a feeling for what it's like to be there rather than just a name.

<<< My 009 micro layout's official title is 'The Seaside Layout', I don't know whether that's ungeographic enough to count, but its unofficial subtitle certainly is - 'Where Seagulls Dare'!

If they are anything like the seagulls in Rhyl, they certainly do dare!!! :-)

Fictitious names or places which need a station but never had one, spring to my mind unbidden.

Boldmere

Cotteridge

East Bromwich

Brunswick Green

Utterley

Llan Droffar

We have a game we play in the car when driving about on holidays, spotting curious place names and making them into a continuous melodramatic story....

As for Brunswick Green; "Here is a box, a musical box, wound up and ready to play", with Sam Tyler holding his head in his hands as Gene Hunt gives a couple of unco-operative villagers a good kicking....

Belle End is the mainstay of my 16mm NG garden railway, under construction, from which it will take its name.

Isn't one of the signal boxes on "The Gresley Beat" named "Belle End Up" ? (as the real one was Belle Isle Up).

Brit15

Before deciding to set my fictitious South Wales valleys blt in a real geographical location in order to set the mood of the precise locality I had in mind, I considered using the equally fictional location of a BBC Wales comedy drama and calling it 'Cwm Pen-ol'; there is supposed to be a circumflex on the 'o' but I don't know how to type it.  It translates as A%*@hole Valley...  The BBC series was, I believe, mostly shot in Maerdy, a good location to model but a bit north and east of what I wanted.

Great minds.

Yours truly is also currently building industrial South Wales, circa 1971

"Twll Cach Exchange Sidings" (an amendment to the correct translation ? 'Twll Cachu' , to 'sound better')

Work out the English version for yourselves.

Ewan McColl wrote a song about Twll Cach;

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you+tube+pogues+dirty+old+town&qpvt=you+tube+pogues+dirty+old+town&view=detail&mid=F9C0FBF69F246631E5F4F9C0FBF69F246631E5F4&FORM=VRDGAR

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of Welsh comedy programmes, does anybody remember Ryan & Ronnie (I'll lampoon you, Phyllis Doris!)?

Archived