Steve Fay's RTR Locomotive detailing

steve fay

post-5983-0-35949400-1488626500_thumb.jpgpost-5983-0-43937900-1488626511_thumb.jpg

I thought I would strat a new thread for my RTR loco detailing. Some of the newer models are not really suited to Ranelagh Bridge so I won't add them in that thread.

So I will start with the lastest Heljan Class 37. This is a nice model but as it's based on the older model it needs a little extra around the bogie area.

I've ordered a detailing set from Pete Harvey for some etch steps and Timken axle box covers, Severn mill works and shed code plates, precision labels 4 Character head codes & various pipes and castings from JLTRT.

This will be D6830 a WR loco new to Cardiff Canton in march 1963.

Heljan supply the WR lamp brackets but you need to drill out the holes. They also provide pilot holes for the standard lamp brackets, I filled these in by cutting off the lugs of the supplied standard brackets and glueing them in in reverse as they are pre painted.

I will carefully cut off the moulded pipe runs and replace with some suitable wire.post-5983-0-85156600-1488630335_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-78113700-1488628978_thumb.jpg

Two big jobs from last year, Warships D806 Cambrian which required a large amount of work and a full repaint.

Then D845 which required roof work and some body mods. Again a full strip down and repaint.post-5983-0-00657700-1488629162_thumb.jpg

I also did D805 Benbow for a friend.

post-5983-0-49088600-1488638667_thumb.jpgpost-5983-0-18128900-1488638724_thumb.jpgpost-5983-0-09310300-1488638766_thumb.jpg D1000 Western Enterprise, This loco had a fair bit done including JLTRT bogie side frames, Pipes & tank lifting rings, Head board brackets and lamp Irons. Pipe detail, ATC earthing bush and wheels counter was made up from brass Rod. Couplings are Pete Harvey's

The main job was to move the head code box up by 1.5mm and the underside filled in with plasticard.

Plates by Severn Mill.

It was weathered by Fred Lewis.

post-5983-0-51546100-1488654131_thumb.jpgpost-5983-0-67005200-1488654148_thumb.jpgpost-5983-0-74035800-1488654180_thumb.jpg The Hymek is a nice model and for me captures the good looks of the prototype very well.

The area around the bogies though is lacking in detail and this is where my main attention was focused. Using mainly JLTRT parts and Pete Harvey couplings, Etch steps and Timken axle box covers.

It was a very enjoyable project. As always Severn Mill plates complete it.

Thanks to Paul Hannah for his assistance on this project.

New Scalpel blades have been ordered from EBay and brass Rod from wheel spin models so I shall set about the bogies of the 37 once they arrive.

attachicon.gifIMG_1071.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1072.JPG

I thought I would strat a new thread for my RTR loco detailing. Some of the newer models are not really suited to Ranelagh Bridge so I won't add them in that thread.

So I will start with the lastest Heljan Class 37. This is a nice model but as it's based on the older model it needs a little extra around the bogie area.

I've ordered a detailing set from Pete Harvey for some etch steps and Timken axle box covers, Severn mill works and shed code plates, precision labels 4 Character head codes & various pipes and castings from JLTRT.

This will be D6830 a WR loco new to Cardiff Canton in march 1963.

Heljan supply the WR lamp brackets but you need to drill out the holes. They also provide pilot holes for the standard lamp brackets, I filled these in by cutting off the lugs of the supplied standard brackets and glueing them in in reverse as they are pre painted.

I will carefully cut off the moulded pipe runs and replace with some suitable wire.attachicon.gifIMG_1075.JPG

Hi Steve, :)

As always lovely work! :imsohappy:

May I recommend the Shawplan Scavenger Roof Fan Grill set as that will transform the Heljan moulded version - a word of wisdom to the very wise, make sure that the steps are the correct shape/pattern :)

Kindest regards,

CME :)

Hi Steve,

What were the two stars on the front for? I know some 8f's had stars under their numbers which meant they could run fast freights as the rods had been balanced.

Martyn.

post-5983-0-89262300-1489066589_thumb.jpg

Bogie detail painted and I've picked out the pipes in white and added the first coat of thinned yellow on the axle box covers. I've painted the wheel sides with Matt black.

I've also polished the loco body up with some T cut.

attachicon.gifIMG_1102.JPG

Bogie detail painted and I've picked out the pipes in white and added the first coat of thinned yellow on the axle box covers. I've painted the wheel sides with Matt black.

I've also polished the loco body up with some T cut.

Very nice Steve.

What type of wire have you used for the pipe-runs? I have used the thin telecoms/ethernet type wires in the past, or fuse wire.

ATVB

CME

Looking through some pictures of the prototype last night and I noticed a few extra bits I could do, firstly a series of four pipes behind the bogie.

I used the same 0.5mm wire for these. The second is a bar that joins the brakes together. This is a slightly thicker wire. Of course it needs to be trimmed down but that will be done on final assembly.

I've also rubbed the buffers back down as I think my silver paint was passed it!! I shall get some more and redo them.

post-5983-0-60203700-1489416676_thumb.jpgpost-5983-0-91974000-1489417416_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-24443400-1489427638_thumb.jpg

Sand pipes!! I can't believe I've overlooked them especially as I've been looking over so many pictures!!

I have looked at the shawplan etch but I really don't want to repaint this model!!

The jury is out on that one at the moment

Hi Steve,

Nice!

Ive been the same with models, ending up not seeing the wood for the trees! Are there stretcher bars to be under there too? EDIT;I can see some of the detail now, the photo wouldnt load on the mobile.

The Scavenger Roof Fan Grill? I see your point, risking teaching granny to suck eggs, you could leave the Shawplan surround off and just fit the grill. Or, fit the whole lot and weather the roof heavily (or blat on some primer then roof grey on the grill etc and then weather-but more lightly)?

Having mentioned that, the grill looks finer than the previous HJ release-is it (thats why I mentioned it)?

Atvb

CME.

Archived