RMweb

Retro 37

• RMweb Premium

Hi 

i have this Hornby 97 (37) which I want to modify to an earlier period, preferably to BR Green era. I know that this front end is not correct for that era but would appreciate any help either in what would I have to remove from this appearance to make it retro.Or, I seem to remember some replacement front ends were available from someone but not sure who? Any ideas would be appreciated.

post-7211-0-30421100-1488654412_thumb.jpg

Another option is to replace the shell with an old Lima shell. It would be a straight swap, and you would be able to get the correct body side and window layout. The Hornby railroad 37 is developed from the former Lima model and wasn't designed with a separate nose moulding so you would have to do some surgery to change the noses.

I'd just buy a dirt cheap old green lima shell tbh whats already got that old 60's style cowling on presuming lima did that style back in the day, the ends don't come of these old plastic moulded bodies chap thats Bachmann / vi-trains 37's only were of course you can swap and change fit whatever nose you choose on :)

I would imagine Hornby railroad is exactly the same as the lima tooling so bodies should just clip on with the 4x body cab step inserts? Thou i only work with Bachmann 37's and rarely vi-trains so wouldn't know 100%

I'd just buy a dirt cheap old green lima shell tbh whats already got that old 60's style cowling on presuming lima did that style back in the day, the ends don't come of these old plastic moulded bodies chap thats Bachmann / vi-trains 37's only were of course you can swap and change fit whatever nose you choose on :)

I would imagine Hornby railroad is exactly the same as the lima tooling so bodies should just clip on with the 4x body cab step inserts? Thou i only work with Bachmann 37's and rarely vi-trains so wouldn't know 100%

Yes as suggested an original  Lima BR Geen bodyshell will fit, the glazing will require a small mod to allow space for the later Hornby motor assembly. Lima never produced a 37 with the early style buffer cowlings... 

With there been no available cowling fitted bodies i don't know how well / overhang a Bachmann cowling 37 nose will go on but i do have some here if you want to try a set? I dare say they will be to wide all around for the lima mould thou once you've cut the centre headcode nose off your body chap!

Shawplan used to supply resin replacement noses with cowls, don't know if they were to suit Lima or Bachmann models ?

They are for the Lima model and there were some on the stand the last time I saw Brian and co back in September.

Justin

They are for the Lima model and there were some on the stand the last time I saw Brian and co back in September.

Justin

Silverfox did some for lima 37 split and centre headcode box I kow they fit ok has I have used them you just need to mod the chassis at each end to fit

Dave

Silverfox did some for lima 37 split and centre headcode box I kow they fit ok has I have used them you just need to mod the chassis at each end to fit

I wonder if they are the same thing? Certainly the class 37 nose ends sold by Shawplan aren't Brian's handiwork and I think predate his ownership of Shawplan.

Justin

Shawplan used to supply resin replacement noses with cowls, don't know if they were to suit Lima or Bachmann models ? 

I used those very items on my Lima 37's several years ago as Lima never made the 37's 'as built '

They fitted rather well and I'm pretty sure they're still available.

It does however look like a hard slog backdating that particular model.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the suggestions and help chaps I have now located a Lima body which I am using. Certainly is a minefield.

Archived