Dapol Limited Edition 00 Terriers

GreenGiraffe22

Hello there I was just enquiring about Dapol 00 gauge limited edition Terriers because I'm currently waiting for one to arrive that I bought on ebay yesterday, no.2659 in Wartime black, and there is another one for sale that I'm eyeing up no 2647 in Maunsell black which would also be very suitable for my layout,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371883443305?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just can't seem to find much information on the models anywhere, or photos for that matter... And part of me suspects the ones on ebay might be fakes because they kinda look like dodgy repaints, but I don't know. Can anyone shed some light? And how much they were originally on sale for? I shan't disclose how much I paid for the one I bought yet, it was only a two figure sum but I'm wondering whether I got ripped off or not... 

They're certainly elusive models.

• RMweb Premium

Hello there I was just enquiring about Dapol 00 gauge limited edition Terriers because I'm currently waiting for one to arrive that I bought on ebay yesterday, no.2659 in Wartime black, and there is another one for sale that I'm eyeing up no 2647 in Maunsell black which would also be very suitable for my layout,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371883443305?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just can't seem to find much information on the models anywhere, or photos for that matter... And part of me suspects the ones on ebay might be fakes because they kinda look like dodgy repaints, but I don't know. Can anyone shed some light? And how much they were originally on sale for? I shan't disclose how much I paid for the one I bought yet, it was only a two figure sum but I'm wondering whether I got ripped off or not... 

Looking at the rear 3/4 RH view on Ebay, I'm pretty certain that the wheel rims, between the spokes, are painted Stroudley's Improved Engine Green (aka yellow / orange).

It would appear that the model has been repainted black, but that the owner couldn't be bothered to fully paint the wheels.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Dapol certainly did produce some limited edition 'OO' Terriers around the time that the tooling for these—and their other models—was sold to Hornby. There was ceetainly a black wartime version with Bulleid "sunshine" lettering.

Can't remember what the original price was. I think they were on the expensive side for a model of that size at that time.

Looking at the rear 3/4 RH view on Ebay, I'm pretty certain that the wheel rims, between the spokes, are painted Stroudley's Improved Engine Green (aka yellow / orange).

It would appear that the model has been repainted black, but that the owner couldn't be bothered to fully paint the wheels.

That's what made me wonder if it was a fake, the one I bought at least seems to have black inside its wheels as well. 

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

John Isherwood.

As well as a small bit on the dome that can be seen in image 3. If I'm also correct you can see the lining from the previous paint job which wasn't removed before the re-spray.

Gary

• RMweb Premium

Is it possible that the genuine Dapol models of 2647 were, in fact, (not very well done) resprays of slow-moving stock, originally painted in pre-Grouping livery?

Either that, or the accompanying certificate and identity card shown with the Ebay model must be blatant forgeries.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Spare mechanisms with Brighton yellow wheels were available for a time - I have one in the stash waiting to rechassis a BR black one that's gone wonky on one corner.

John

• RMweb Gold

It's genuine, (not 100% sure about the wheels).

The box should have labels on the box ends, and underneath (Bottom) of the box (same style stuck on label).

The certificates were sticky "access pass" style plastic credit card sized badges, with a paper certificate place inside, and the sticky back then removed to seal it inside.

Dapol started some limited editions, including Terriers, J94s & L&Y pugs in the late 90's early 2000s of <150 runs (a very low number in that time period, some might have even been <50).

The first I recall was Boxhill in LBSC, which they had in the range in two guises, one with black wheels & rods, the other with now the more familiar Orange/Red rods... the painted rods was the limited edition and came with a £15 (50% premium over regular range) at £50, but for wheels/rods you wouldnt know the difference !

At that time Dapol packaging (indeed products) weren't always as "refined" as we come to expect today (or even by common standards of the day).

The box should have labels on the box ends, and underneath (Bottom) of the box (same style stuck on label).

The certificates were sticky "access pass" style plastic credit card sized badges, with a paper certificate place inside, and the sticky back then removed to seal it inside.

Dapol started some limited editions, including Terriers, J94s & L&Y pugs in the late 90's early 2000s of <150 runs (a very low number in that time period, some might have even been <50).

The first I recall was Boxhill in LBSC, which they had in the range in two guises, one with black wheels & rods, the other with now the more familiar Orange/Red rods... the painted rods was the limited edition and came with a £15 (50% premium over regular range) at £50, but for wheels/rods you wouldn't know the difference !

At that time Dapol packaging (indeed products) weren't always as "refined" as we come to expect today (or even by common standards of the day).

Hi All,

As it's me who is selling them I thought I better chip in!

I'm pleased that adb968008 has confirmed my experience.

The e-mail I've sent to Green Giraffe 22 goes as follows:

++++++++++++++++++

Hi,

Thanks for your e-mail.

Please don't worry. They are definitely NOT fakes! After Winsford factory fire in 1994, Dapol sold much of its tooling to Hornby in 1996, as you noted. But they were left with a large number of spare parts which, after George Smith took over running from David Boyle, they assemble into a series of limited edition models. Each batch was only of 100 hundred loco and they were all hand finished. They weren't publicly advertised but only offered to those who had earlier purchased items from Dapol. My late father was number 46 of that 100.

I hope that helps! The Dapol, Airfix, Replica, Mainline Hornby, story is really complex!

Yours

Luke

++++++++++++++++++++

As adb968008 indicates there were pugs, terriers and J94's. There were also two castles, which I sold last year.

How Dad ended up as 46/100 I don't know but he purchased the models as they were announced. The seem to span 99-02. Towards the end of the run Dapol held a "lucky dip" and selected one of the customers for a factory visit and special presentation. The model is a J94 and has a certificate as 1 of 1! Somewhere or other I have a piece cut from a local news paper showing George Smith presenting my Dad with the loco. My Dad was irritated that the got his initials wrong and used his Mum's instead.

I don't have any listings of what was produced or when. All I have is the personal provenance.

Any associate paperwork (receipts, etc) would have been cleared out after my Dad passed away in 2008.

If anyone has a list or more info I'd be very interest to know (There must be at least 99 other people out there with somethings!)

Luke

• RMweb Gold

I was buying some of these Terriers at the time they were issued - I returned to the UK in 1999 (after living and working in Asia since 1966) and, as now and then, I had a love affair with Terriers. Think I know where they are stored so will try and find them.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

The first I recall was Boxhill in LBSC, which they had in the range in two guises, one with black wheels & rods, the other with now the more familiar Orange/Red rods... the painted rods was the limited edition and came with a £15 (50% premium over regular range) at £50, but for wheels/rods you wouldnt know the difference !

Each to their own, but for a limited edition, originally sold at a premium price, I'd expect the repaint to have been a lot more 'refined' than the one currently offered on Ebay!

The original yellow not fully covered on the dome, and wheels only repainted round the rim, smack of an attitude at Dapol in those days of "Oh, that'll do - some mug will buy our leftovers".

This is what get's me about the 'collector' side of the market - regardless of quality, it's a 'must have' if it's labelled 'Limited Edition' or some such.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Each to their own, but for a limited edition, originally sold at a premium price, I'd expect the repaint to have been a lot more 'refined' than the one currently offered on Ebay!

The original yellow not fully covered on the dome, and wheels only repainted round the rim, smack of an attitude at Dapol in those days of "Oh, that'll do - some mug will buy our leftovers".

This is what get's me about the 'collector' side of the market - regardless of quality, it's a 'must have' if it's labelled 'Limited Edition' or some such.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

You're right there John, If I ever feel the need for a Terrier in Wartime Black I will repaint one myself, and do a better job than Dapol did with this offering!!

However having seen pictures of the other one, which was purchased by GreenGiraffe22, that one does look more refined and I look forward to seeing what he does with it.

Gary

I think Dapol over produced, did not get the sales they expected and were stuck with a load of stock. Things in their catalogues were often around for years.

Mind you their prices where say 50% more than a similar model from another make. I have some 8 terriers, but only one of these was brought as a Dapol model - they were £45 or there abouts.

The limited Boxhill - I think was the first - was £55 and sat around for years on the availability lists of Dapol.

On the plus side (for shops at least), Dapol never did cheap off loading like we see sometimes now.

I noticed that one I linked to has shot up to £88 already, must be highly collectable to someone.

Edit: I often find that's the problem with buying on ebay, always find myself battling against collectors for something suitable for running on my layout, I can't imagine THAT many people have early 40s layouts. (I could be wrong.)

Edit 2: The main reason I haven't had the Terrier I have repainted properly is because it is greatly in need of a bit of servicing, it runs, but very reluctantly, and it's a little broken, I did use it to experiment repainting and weathering on though.

• RMweb Gold

Well by "ruining" one you are just making theirs ever rarer and so more valuable!!!!!

Gary

PS. Don't get rid of the old one I'll repaint it for ya!! But if you really want rid of it I know someone who really likes Terriers (at a reasonable price) :jester: :jester: :jester:

Archived