Little Muddle

KNP

​Bill U Quick Construction.

​Progress notification.

​Picture taken from press release handout issued at community update meeting held at The Station PH at tea time.

Industrial area of Cathcott's Field shaping up nicely as work progresses at a steading pace.

A few areas of tidying up needed i.e. base of front door step needs filling, gap in wall where the two modules join etc.

I have removed the station fencing and lamps to save me damaging them so they will need to go back when I'm happy I have finished the scene.

Slightly out of focus you can see the new homemade guttering and downpipes to the factory building added this very afternoon.

New brick paper added to RH rendered building to end wall and chimney stack to tidy up. After all is was the first building I built, in what was to me a new of medium card and brickpaper, back in 2009! so it is looking a bit tired now.

attachicon.gifIMG_2886.JPG

Once the basic's are done then time to add the extra detailing to the yard/area to bring it to life.

Scene coming together with the random heights and shapes I was after when I first did the card mock up's.

A beautiful rendition of buildings, that clearly weren't regulated by the local authority, back in the day, when individuality was supreme. You are building a truly magnificent model railway; this photograph is a super cameo in its' own right. Thank you for taking the time to post your inspirational development.

• Like 1

A beautiful rendition of buildings, that clearly weren't regulated by the local authority, back in the day, when individuality was supreme. You are building a truly magnificent model railway; this photograph is a super cameo in its' own right. Thank you for taking the time to post your inspirational development.

Thank you for those comments.

This highlights a problem we have in that when modelling something of the past we approach it with ideas of the present.

You have to step back in time and design/build what would have been around then.

Planning laws only really came into force in 1947 so before then anything could be done with little recourse, certainly before the turn of the 20th century anything did go.

I find historical photographic websites or local books through the ages gives you a good feel for the era and how things where built/finished/detailed etc.. 

• Like 1

Funny how a things can evolve over time, well especially on my layout.

Take this factory/office building that was built in Dec 2009

At the time very happy with it and the effects of the then new to me brick/stone/cladding printed paper on card method of construction gave.

Wills slate roof and guttering, etched brass windows all looked well.

attachicon.gifP1090222.JPG

But after time I keep looking at it and thinking - not looking right, colour, lack of relief detail to stonework was grating so it was time to revise.

So about 4 years ago I painted the stone paper in a buff colour with talcum powder added to give a gritty effect plus a dirt wash to weather and all was well at the that time.

But in reality still not happy so I then 2 years ago re-clad the first floor projection using postcard strips with a window added plus added the front door construction.

Looking better but then when using the same brick paper for the wall to the industrial area I realised how much the brick effect had faded due to the ink used (see previous post 103) and also I had not been sealed with varnish.

Chimney stack and extension side wall had another layer of brick paper added, sealed with a couple of coats of UV varnish and all is now rosy in the garden....

attachicon.gifIMG_2858.JPG

Or is it.....I think know why I never seem to finish my layouts.

Note - module base still to finish hence gaps.

Looks good to me :)

Looks VERY good to me mate.  Superb in fact.

Thanks

I must confess that I think I have pushed this little building as far as I can go without completely rebuilding it.

So it will stay as is for...........ever..........now...........perhaps...........if only I...........no, no, it's OK really..........I think.........but.........what if........hmmm!!!!!

Luckily I rarely fix my buildings down - so it could be lifted - one advantage of a permanent layout is that things can be left unfixed and there will still be where you left them the next day.

• Like 2

Different character to the building, but better looking, more realistic finish IMHO. Superb!

Good lighting in all your pictures. You're as much a photographer as a modeller. 

Afraid not.

I have used it many a time to represent flat roof coverings as the glue will soak into and set hard.

Use, normally three layers.

Attached shed picture is the same material.

Will reveal all later (about the roof that is!!!!! before someone comments? plus the sun has gone in now...)

Amazing work!

Now this is something you don't hear everyday.

'I've been painting some cows' 

for a revised area of the layout......they're tricky things to paint I discovered as you need a big brush as they don't stand still for very long so you have to be quick!?!?!

Meant to be the South Devon bred but being no expert not sure if the colour is quite right, it did when first applied but now dried a bit duller than I had planned but I'm happy with them as they are likely to be only temporary.

So mooo-ving on they came from Dorspring Models and are nicely moulded in white plastic.

IMG_2951.JPG.106d1943c8a17cd9f94664ff1fec6271.JPG

Now to model the cow pats - !

Joke - I once lost my flat cap in a field of cows and tried on 10 before I found it.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Now this is something you don't hear everyday.

'I've been painting some cows' 

for a revised area of the layout......they're tricky things to paint I discovered as you need a big brush as they don't stand still for very long so you have to be quick!?!?!

Meant to be the South Devon bred but being no expert not sure if the colour is quite right, it did when first applied but now dried a bit duller than I had planned but I'm happy with them as they are likely to be only temporary.

So mooo-ving on they came from Dorspring Models and are nicely moulded in white plastic.

attachicon.gifIMG_2951.JPG

Now to model the cow pats - !

Joke - I once lost my flat cap in a field of cows and tried on 10 before I found it.

Mmm, perhaps a little redder, try Vallejo 'Dark Fleshtone', as can be seen, the colour does vary.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=devon+red+cattle&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimwanqjqrUAhVGI8AKHYugCG4Q_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=_

Excellent bit of herd management Kevin and as a retired farmer I reckon you have certainly got the right build for a South Devon and would agree that a touch of red is needed. The animal in the background is just about to start making your cow pat's so I think all you'll need are some flies to complete the scene by tomorrow ......by which time it will of course have become a country pancake :stinker:  :stinker:  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice stuff! Love the cow scene :)

Thanks.

I've just repainted them as suggested by Paul/Worsdell forever, with Dark Fleshtone added but they still not the right colour..........don't think I used enough - I'll keep on trying!!!

• Like 1

Cow update

Following up on the many comments about the colour of my cows I have been sweating away repainting them - literally as the railway room is like an oven at the moment especially with all the lighting on, I have the windows wide open but with no breeze it feels like it is letting the heat in.

So I apologise if they look a bit shiny but they are warm in that room at the present, I feel another coat of Dullcote is required to cool them down.

To refresh, here is the original colour...... 

IMG_2951.JPG.8fc7ff4ba777d40bcb9fc91b2e5ee391.JPG

And here is the revised colour using Vallejo Scarlet with Flat Brown added.

IMG_2983.JPG.7fd31be1248d9632fd2e6cf27d0817e3.JPG

Once the shine is sorted then I think they are looking much better..

IMG_2983.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11

​Cow update

​Following up on the many comments about the colour of my cows I have been sweating away repainting them - literally as the railway room is like an oven at the moment especially with all the lighting on, I have the windows wide open but with no breeze it feels like it is letting the heat in.

So I apologise if they look a bit shiny but they are warm in that room at the present, I feel another coat of Dullcote is required to cool them down.

attachicon.gifIMG_2983.JPG

What about some dry brushing or washes to bring out that body detail? All sorts of bits move on a cow!

Looks great by the way.

Martyn

Edited by mullie

• RMweb Gold

​Cow update

​Following up on the many comments about the colour of my cows I have been sweating away repainting them - literally as the railway room is like an oven at the moment especially with all the lighting on, I have the windows wide open but with no breeze it feels like it is letting the heat in.

attachicon.gifIMG_2983.JPG

That looks so much more like Devon! Well worth the diversion from the building site to bull up the cows!