Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Little Muddle

KNP

I recall being told many years ago by an Art Teacher that black and white don't exist in nature! I don't think he meant it literally, but rather that our work would seem more realistic if we avoided using them in their pure form. Given how superbly natural 'Little Muddle' looks in so many ways including the use of colour tones maybe he had a point? You work is excellent Kevin and continues to be an inspiration.

Andy.

No so, what's a Black Hole then! But I guess they weren't known back then.

Black is the absence of any light, reflected or emitted (as in the case of the Black Hole). Black pigments are not perfect and I understand either reflect a small amount of Blue or some other color( which i've forgotten) if diluted enough. 

Various bits on locos started out B or W but quickly grime over, I'm sure Kev's ladies chatting would have pristine white hankies if we could see the detail!

Edited by BWsTrains

• RMweb Premium

Computer programs often use a colour model called "Hue, Saturation, Value" or "HSV" to define colours.

Hue is the pure colour - like a rainbow colour and is measured in degrees around a circular colour wheel: so 0 degrees = pure red, 120 degrees = pure green, 240 degrees = pure blue and back to 360 degrees = pure red again.

Saturation describes the amount of white mixed with the Hue: 100% Saturation = pure Hue, 0% Saturation = pure white.

Value describes the amount of black mixed with the Hue: 100% Value = pure Hue, 0% Value = pure black.

You can see how that maps onto colour mixing in the real world given that most colours already have some black and white, Saturation and Value, mixed into them before you start.

Very interesting Phil. Where do Tint and Shade fit into that, if at all?

• RMweb Premium

No so, what's a Black Hole then! But I guess they weren't known back then.

Black is the absence of any light, reflected or emitted (as in the case of the Black Hole). Black pigments are not perfect and I understand either reflect a small amount of Blue or some other color( which i've forgotten) if diluted enough. 

Various bits on locos started out B or W but quickly grime over, I'm sure Kev's ladies chatting would have pristine white hankies if we could see the detail!

My black socks turn blue after being washed a few dozen times, if that's any help.

• Like 1

Just playing catch up with this wonderful thread :)

I love the Modellu scanned figures of oneself ever since I saw them at S4North a couple of years ago  - I really must make the effort get one of me with a pint in hand leant on a railing - then I can appear in every little station pub all at the same time (Just how good would that ability be in reality?  I could even talk to myself! :D)

About black.

It is the total absence of light - Therefore you cannot see it! That's when art classes went all meta physical for me !

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting Phil. Where do Tint and Shade fit into that, if at all?

Tint (adding white) is equivalent to Saturation and Shade (adding black) is equivalent to Value.

Some programs show Tint and Shade controls in their user interface and under the covers they implement them as HSV Saturation and Value.

• Like 1

7007GreatWestern, on 29 Apr 2018 - 13:49, said:snapback.png

I recall being told many years ago by an Art Teacher that black and white don't exist in nature! I don't think he meant it literally, but rather that our work would seem more realistic if we avoided using them in their pure form. Given how superbly natural 'Little Muddle' looks in so many ways including the use of colour tones maybe he had a point? You work is excellent Kevin and continues to be an inspiration.

Andy.

"No so, what's a Black Hole then! But I guess they weren't known back then."

If you'd bothered to read the second sentence of my post before eagerly leaping for your keyboard you would have understood that my teacher was speaking figuratively, not literally. Still, my understanding is enriched with your insights into the emissive properties of Black Holes. How did I cope without you?

Regards,

Andy (BSc Physics, University of Leicester, 1987)

If you'd bothered to read the second sentence of my post before eagerly leaping for your keyboard you would have understood that my teacher was speaking figuratively, not literally. Still, my understanding is enriched with your insights into the emissive properties of Black Holes. How did I cope without you?

Regards,

Andy,

you clearly have insights that leave the rest of us all "figuratively blind".

FYI I did bother to read the whole post first and thought about it, so wrong #1, I did completely understand your Art teacher's perspective so wrong #2. I did not bound to my keyboard = wrong #3 . Going very well so far.

Not everyone has the benefit of your Scientist's insights and as a former chemist and consultant to a Paint Company I just might have the odd one myself that non scientists here do not. And FYI I wasn't actually being that serious regarding the Black hole bits, perhaps you missed that in the tone of the 1st line? :jester:  .

• Like 1

Regards,

damn. Someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning with a seriously bad attitude.

• RMweb Gold

Blue, hue, saturation, value, shade, tint and tone. Any similarity to Camberwick Green was purely intentional.

Trumpton, surely...

Edit : Shirley Trumpton ?

Edited by Stubby47

Doesn't that perfectly capture both the moment, and also the fantastic ability we have these days to strike whatever pose we like and reproduce it in miniature.

Will Modelu be producing drivers lying asleep on the couch in the lobby whilst on "spare"?

The card school would be a good one.

Doesn't that perfectly capture both the moment, and also the fantastic ability we have these days to strike whatever pose we like and reproduce it in miniature. 

Totally agree, took Alan awhile to sort out my exact pose so it looked realistic but the results speak for themselves.

I think he has come up with a wonderful idea and I can't see why all of use can't appear on our own layouts in some form or other.

One idea I had was to become an engine driver for a few minutes so I could drive my favourite loco around the layout.

Another idea we are mulling our is to get the four grandchildren done so they can be on the layout as well, logistics seem to the biggest issue in getting them together at the same time when Alan is near.

Though Railex is approaching and he is scheduled to be there?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the last picture I am a bit concerned about what those two workers are saying on the seat, as they appear to be looking in my direction???

"I hear he's one of they 'laser-scanned time travellers from another dimension'..."

"Oh... How's your Edith these days?"

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Back to some modelling now......!

With the pelmet lighting fixed allowing for the correct lighting intensity I was able to take some pictures of me making it onto my own layout, standing where I had originally planned I would stand when I first thought of the idea of getting myself scanned by Modelu.

Along with poor old Doug the redundant right handed engine driver we decided to while away some time by just standing against the boundary fence looking out across the potato field searching no doubt for inspiration.....

attachicon.gif1261.jpg

attachicon.gif1262.jpg

attachicon.gif1263.jpg

attachicon.gif1264.jpg

Now, at the present moment I am just leaning on the fence so I could, as the mood dictates, move to other locations.......

I suppose you could say in this instance I'm of no fixed abode!!

Looking at the last picture I am a bit concerned about what those two workers are saying on the seat, as they appear to be looking in my direction???

I think they are worried that they are about to meet their Maker!

• Like 1

Just a picture......me messing with filters

1268b.jpg.271e7c487d538f32749f8eb5503849e3.jpg

Not sure about it but somebody out there might like it?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11

After what seems an age, work has recommenced on the suburban B set.

Bogies fitted, buffers fabricated and in place, most of the underframe equipment added, and now for final inspection before painting........or until someone says I've missed something!!!

IMG_0051.JPG.122edff0fc9f5798d4a85f19a7c492c3.JPG

Struggling to find suitable information on an E140 diagram coach, if it wasn't for the article by Tim Venton on the GWR Modelling website I would be making this up a lot more than I am now!

I can find loads of general information/pictures but not on the nitty, gritty underframe stuff.

Even looked to buy some books on GWR coaches at Ally Pally and York but with no luck, plenty of them but not what I was after.

I accept that this will not be an accurate detail model of the coaches underframe rather an implied effort, with these new cast bogies fitted these has some nice weight about it and runs very smoothly on the track.

Now to sort out the close coupling

Edited by KNP
  • Like 7