Little Muddle

KNP

Rattling along at a steady lick, 5355 is about to pass Encombe Town signal box when the fireman, Sam, begins to mull over do they have enough coal for the rest of the journey?

attachicon.gifIMG_0091.JPG

Tune in tomorrow to find out the gripping result of the tense coal conundrum saga in........

Do They or Don't They 

​episode 2

​For the eagle eyed ones of you out there you will notice there is no means to couple the tender to the wagons at moment......

Which isn't really a problem as it is a static model anyhow but?

Post war Britain?

I had noticed you had been trolling through the thread...

Thanks for all your comments and glad you enjoyed the pictures.

As I've said before some work and then some don't for me, but what I have noticed is that sometimes when I post something I'm not happy it get lots of likes and favourable comments!

So in future I will post most pictures even if I'm not a fan of it and see how we go from there.......

I think Gilbert at Peterborough has the same problem, we often like photos he thinks are not too good. A variation of "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

• RMweb Gold

I had noticed you had been trolling through the thread...

Thanks for all your comments and glad you enjoyed the pictures.

As I've said before some work and then some don't for me, but what I have noticed is that sometimes when I post something I'm not happy it get lots of likes and favourable comments!

So in future I will post most pictures even if I'm not a fan of it and see how we go from there.......

Maybe people like your less-favoured photos because they are still better than most of us could hope to produce...

I think you've got the best eye for judging good and bad photos so I say, please keep on selecting the ones you're happy with. Don't lower your standards! ;-)

• RMweb Gold

I think Gilbert at Peterborough has the same problem, we often like photos he thinks are not too good. A variation of "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

I suffer that problem and maybe more quality and less quantity on my thread would be more appropriate. Sometimes you can get caught up in pressing the camera shutter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To my mind, the cheapest, easiest, and most effective method of lifting an RTR model out of the RTR 'look' is to apply a coat of weathering mix, even a thin one will make a huge toning difference, provide real coal in the tender or bunker, ideally less than a full load as you have done with 5355, and provide etched brass number plates.  

A steam loco will not come to a helpless stand immediately the last lump of coal has been put into the firebox, though obviously her crew must begin to think about the situation.  Running out of water is far more problematic, and stories of expresses running the last 10 or 15 miles or so on coal dust are legion; the loco has enough steam to complete the journey, maintain brake pressure, and work light back to shed a few miles out from the terminus, though this is not the recommended method of working trains...  5355 has plenty of coal to get home, or at least to another coaling stage, with.

• Like 1

I suffer that problem and maybe more quality and less quantity on my thread would be more appropriate. Sometimes you can get caught up in pressing the camera shutter.

I'm the same of late Rob, when I had Pencarne, I would ''pose'' a scene, and set up the camera, now, possibly because Kings Morton is a Roundy, and Trains are moving more, I too tend to just snap away, and hope that 50% will be fit for purpose.

I need to get back to posing and setting up the camera, not just grabbing it as the Train approaches and hoping for the best, (which invariably in my case is the worst).

Quality NOT quantity.

Keep the quality coming Kevin.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

5355 running light.

1296.jpg.fdb51796841905b3590ba16e732b8f41.jpg

Fast becoming my favourite loco, don't tell the other ones otherwise they will sulk and not smile for the camera!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16

Totally agree Kevin ( as suggested earlier, it would be nice to motorise it ).

I'm rather tempted to make a 7mm 43xx early version hmmmm....

Grahame

I'm the same of late Rob, when I had Pencarne, I would ''pose'' a scene, and set up the camera, now, possibly because Kings Morton is a Roundy, and Trains are moving more, I too tend to just snap away, and hope that 50% will be fit for purpose.

I need to get back to posing and setting up the camera, not just grabbing it as the Train approaches and hoping for the best, (which invariably in my case is the worst).

Quality NOT quantity.

Keep the quality coming Kevin.

It is nothing for me to take 20 odd pictures in one session but only use a handful and discard the rest.

All my pictures are posed, some are taken for posting whilst others are to assist the modelling side which how all these pictures came about in the first place.

I will keep the pictures coming but only you lot can judge the quality!!!!!

Looking at the comments and notifications to date I appear to be doing OK.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It is nothing for me to take 20 odd pictures in one session but only use a handful and discard the rest.

All my pictures are posed, some are taken for posting whilst others are to assist the modelling side which how all these pictures came about in the first place.

I will keep the pictures coming but only you lot can judge the quality!!!!!

Looking at the comments and notifications to date I appear to be doing OK.

You are doing a lot better than OK, Kevin. I do sympathise, as I have the same problems. Quite often something I don't like goes down much better than I thought it would, so now I tend to post just about everything. I think we both identify the ones that need to be binned immediately though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

5355 running light.

attachicon.gif1296.jpg

Fast becoming my favourite loco, don't tell the other ones otherwise they will sulk and not smile for the camera!

I'm another fan of the class. There's something about medium-sized locos that just looks right (but then, everything looks right on Little Muddle!). 

• Like 1

It probably won’t help Grahame, but Paul ( Focalplane ) & I both have 7mm 43xx kits to build...

Not sure when Paul will start his, he’s got his teeth into Penmaenpool’s baseboards at the moment, & I have all sorts of summer distractions, such as rewiring parts of my pal, John’s, garden layout, and finishing my Duchess, and lots of fettling on our boat. The Garratt has been lying fallow for over a year too, though much has been done in the virtual world - I’m almost ready to cut metal on its frames. Maybe I’ll kick off on my 43 when the Duchess is finished, though I will need another motor, as the one that was destined for it is in the Duchess.

Sorry, Kevin, off topic...

Best

Simon

Two cracking shots Kevin, with real, I was there and remember taking that pic, type atmosphere, I took a similar shot to your Mogul, on the South Devon Railway a few years ago but it was the 38XX.

The small prairie waiting for the passengers to embark.

Ken was standing very close at the end of Encombe platform for this shot but couldn't make out what Jimmy was staring at?

attachicon.gif1297.jpg

So he turned round only to find the Mogul 'ghosting' into the station.

attachicon.gif1298.jpg

Talking of ghosting there seems to be a bit of it around Jimmy because, I suspect, the camera was only 30mm away from him with big colour differences between edges.

I have noticed this does happen on very close up shots in this situation.

Of course the Mogul can only do ghosting, 'cos its got no motor to make a noise!

But lets not spoil a good story.

• Like 1

Some cracking shots Kevin and love the ' live commentary' on the goings on in Little Muddle .....will have to let the Squadron Leader know about the change of coal ...looks like good quality Welsh steam coal now ......he will be around to check I'm sure  :sungum:

I have noticed that there appears to be some concern that I have a non motorised split chassis loco on my layout unable to move under its own steam.

In order to placate those worries I have now resolved the issue by providing 5355 with a motorised flat bed wagon to propel it along all 7ft of double track that this loco would be allowed to use.

IMG_0093.JPG.fcf410883787ed9f94613c5a1dd7975a.JPG

I understand that there has been a temporary weight restriction placed on the viaduct due to some loose brickwork falling off and because it was built sometime ago by Messrs Tri-ang of Kent it now needs a complete structural inspection.

So therefore at present this loco is unable to proceed along this section of track to Little Muddle.

It appears that whilst the loco was moving over the viaduct a brick fell from one of the arches narrowly missing the Colonels wife, it did however fall into the stream and strike a fish bringing it unconscious to the surface which pleased the Colonel as it was the first one he had 'caught' for quite a while......!

It did sneak into Little Muddle goods yard for a photo shoot soon after this incident but boy was there some trouble about that afterwards......!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning Kev.

Inclined to agree about the mogul. With my penchant for things Midland, I do like a Crab and am quite taken with a Stanier mogul. In the case of the Southern,the N is quite nice as well.

I can't remember, do you have a Dukedog?

Rob.

Morning Kev.

Inclined to agree about the mogul. With my penchant for things Midland, I do like a Crab and am quite taken with a Stanier mogul. In the case of the Southern,the N is quite nice as well.

I can't remember, do you have a Dukedog?

Rob.

Good morning to you as well.

No, I only have four loco's and a railcar so there is a gap for more motive power I suspect.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Kevin,

You certainly have an eye for detail and how to compose a photo. I see your pictures and say to myself, I must build more trees for Llanforen.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

How about assigning a Dean Goods or Collett Goods for the weight-restricted run into Little Muddle? Both very photogenic IMHO!

BTW: Did you notice another user has chosen the same GWR roundel avatar as you? (See recent blogs.)

• RMweb Premium

Ken was standing very close at the end of Encombe platform for this shot but couldn't make out what Jimmy was staring at?

You and by extension all those blasted RMWebbers who look over your shoulder when you take the photo.