Little Muddle

KNP

How about assigning a Dean Goods or Collett Goods for the weight-restricted run into Little Muddle? Both very photogenic IMHO!

BTW: Did you notice another user has chosen the same GWR roundel avatar as you? (See recent blogs.)

Good idea but I suspect the bridge will be maintained.

Just had a look and you are right not sure what the protocol is for that.......l do have a good replacement that l toyed with so might go with that!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

Suburban B set progressing well.

Chassis finished, coach bodies had drop sashes paint, roof with initial paint job (weathered black and roof dirt) and then just stood on chassis without fixing.

Coach bodies have had three coats of Dullcote prior to final weathering treatment, now left to thoroughly dry.

IMG_0104.JPG.31fc2ecfc33d071b6ce59bf38d4b77c0.JPG

How did 5355 end up pulling these, well I left her on the track after the last photoshoot so just wheeled these coaches up behind, pretended to couple them!!!! and said - there you go look now like you are doing something important....!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 18

I have just spent two hours reading through this thread. DISGRACEFUL how dare you build a model railway so stunning and accomplished that it makes a mere mortal wonder if I should chuck everything in the bin and take to sitting in the corner crying over my oh so obvious shortcomings.

To be serious your layout is the best I have seen inc pendon

I bow to your skill sir

All the best for your future endeavours.

Steve

• Like 1

I have just spent two hours reading through this thread. DISGRACEFUL how dare you build a model railway so stunning and accomplished that it makes a mere mortal wonder if I should chuck everything in the bin and take to sitting in the corner crying over my oh so obvious shortcomings.

To be serious your layout is the best I have seen inc pendon

I bow to your skill sir

All the best for your future endeavours.

Steve

Many thanks for your kind comments.

Future endeavours - run a train I suppose as nothing has moved without assistance from the big hand in the sky for weeks.

Future endeavours - run a train I suppose as nothing has moved without assistance from the big hand in the sky for weeks.

To paraphrase the poet Yeats:

The intellect of man is forced to choose

Perfection of the scenery, or of the working,

Some modellers are enthusiasts for shunting puzzles or timetable operations and the like, while others enjoy creating an overall ambience, within which a train may occasionally run. 

Although my scenery is nowhere near your standard, I do fall into this group, so am not in the least concerned by lack of movement.  My tiny layout does have the advantage of being 'roundy-roundy' so, in an evening, I can sit back, however, with just the glow of the station lamps, and watch a short train gently trundling around. I prefer it to watching goldfish circling in a bowl and suspect it has a similar therapeutic effect.

I skimmed quickly through your posts (86 pages - wow!) and am not sure whether you've shown us the complete track-plan...  be interested to see how all these wonderful scenes fit together.

I enjoy contemplating your scenes and imagining the life in your 'world' :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The intellect of man is forced to choosePerfection of the scenery, or of the working,

Some modellers are enthusiasts for shunting puzzles or timetable operations and the like, while others enjoy creating an overall ambience, within which a train may occasionally run. 

Although my scenery is nowhere near your standard, I do fall into this group, so am not in the least concerned by lack of movement.  My tiny layout does have the advantage of being 'roundy-roundy' so, in an evening, I can sit back, however, with just the glow of the station lamps, and watch a short train gently trundling around. I prefer it to watching goldfish circling in a bowl and suspect it has a similar therapeutic effect.

I skimmed quickly through your posts (86 pages - wow!) and am not sure whether you've shown us the complete track-plan...  be interested to see how all these wonderful scenes fit together.

I enjoy contemplating your scenes and imagining the life in your 'world' :)

Track plan http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120848-little-muddle/?view=findpost&p=2925901 16th Nov 2017

• Like 1

The intellect of man is forced to choose

Perfection of the scenery, or of the working,

Although my scenery is nowhere near your standard, I do fall into this group, so am not in the least concerned by lack of movement.  My tiny layout does have the advantage of being 'roundy-roundy' so, in an evening, I can sit back, however, with just the glow of the station lamps, and watch a short train gently trundling around.......

Remarkable; with the exception of the ability to quote Yates you could have been describing me and my layout to a "T".

Kev gives us a higher bar to aspire to and I never tire of revisiting LM with its wonderful settings to "borrow" new ideas :sungum: I've used LEDs to light various parts of my layout down to individual cottages and it's a great hit with the grandchildren to have an evening running session as a before-bedtime treat

Colin. 

Another set from the sequence of removing the buildings to clean.

This was an early one built to fill the rear corner of the main station section, never really decided what the purpose or use of the building was.

It is referred to as a small factory with office.....!

SF1.jpg.d4268e6913388dac584ed4bd14413902.jpg

SF2.jpg.782c14af23f7b149992b398218240fb7.jpg

SF3.jpg.c82681d8a8fb83de8b668c60aed18eb7.jpg

SF4.jpg.0583a01cde66b1ab2d16143994fbe8ff.jpg

As mentioned before this building has been subject to a few 'tweaks' over the years as it started its life in stone paper but never really took to it as the printed paper version had no relief.

So I painted it in dark sand with talcum powder sprinkled on whilst still wet to give a roughish texture, a few coats applied to build up.

New entrance porch and front door added.

No windows or doors on rear elevations of the building as it is tucked into the corner so I just left it blank....

Original

P1090222.JPG.7e3e3d1f4e1f554f73c10a90def57a14.JPG

Way back in Dec '09 here is the initial plan.

No harbour yet, note first thoughts on 5mm MDF module board which incidentally didn't work!!!

P1080546.JPG.d4910c67f672291f8b66dd37a38cc8e0.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 13

SF4.jpg

As mentioned before this building has been subject to a few 'tweaks' over the years as it started its life as a stone but never really took to it as the printed paper version had no relief.

So I painted it in dark sand with talcum powder sprinkled on whilst still wet to give a roughish texture, a few coats applied to build up.

New entrance porch and front door added.

No windows or doors on rear elevations of the building as it is tucked into the corner so I just left it blank....

Original

attachicon.gifP1090222.JPG

Kevin,

I can see what you mean about the printed stone. Who's paper was that you used?

I've been very happy with the Scalescenes "Coursed rubble" as a printed paper. Unlike your photo which looks very flat, there's quite some variability between colours etc and that helps to give the illusion of texture. Also I had it done on a quality professional printer which perhaps helps.

As I understand it, you're happy with printed paper for brickwork?

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Pardon me for mentioning it, but there doesn't appear to be a downspout for the wooden upper floor extension. There is a gutter, but nowhere for the rainwater to escape.

It is, however, an exquisite building.

• RMweb Premium

Another set from the sequence of removing the buildings to clean.

This was an early one built to fill the rear corner of the main station section, never really decided what the purpose or use of the building was.

An old friend of mine would have described it as a large railway room with house attached.

• Like 8

Kevin,

I can see what you mean about the printed stone. Who's paper was that you used?

I've been very happy with the Scalescenes "Coursed rubble" as a printed paper. Unlike your photo which looks very flat, there's quite some variability between colours etc and that helps to give the illusion of texture. Also I had it done on a quality professional printer which perhaps helps.

As I understand it, you're happy with printed paper for brickwork?

Colin

Scalescenes Squared Rubble but with the colour changed because of the comparable ink I used gave it this 'bluish' tinge.

Liked it at the time but not for long.....!

Brick paper I don't have a problem with because if you look at a real building from a relatively short distance in looks smooth.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2018 at 07:54, Stubby47 said:

Pardon me for mentioning it, but there doesn't appear to be a downspout for the wooden upper floor extension. There is a gutter, but nowhere for the rainwater to escape.

It is, however, an exquisite building.

Yes, one never got fitted, as I never fitted one, so at present one hasn't had one installed for the last 9yrs as the debate rages on with the Parish Council over permissions.....!

It sort of trickles out of one or other end, no end stops fitted you see but it did stop rainwater falling on anybody standing at the front door...!

Not sure what they were standing there for as I still have no idea exactly what it's function is.

Then a while back I stuck a large chimney to the rear that was surplus to requirements, with a view that in would be some kind of metal work factory linked to the chandlers building on the backscene.

554.JPG.56d999e96d39430ca1978b1540d34a81.JPG

Sort of worked but even I was convinced......

Edited by KNP
  • Like 6

Yes, one never got fitted, as I never fitted one, so at present one hasn't had one installed for the last 9yrs as the debate rages on with the Parish Council over permissions.....!

It sort of trickles out of one or other end, no end stops fitted you see but it did stop rainwater falling on anybody standing at the front door...!

Not sure what they were standing there for as I still have no idea exactly what it's function is.

Then a while back I stuck a large chimney to the rear that was surplus to requirements, with a view that in would be some kind of metal work factory linked to the chandlers building on the backscene.

attachicon.gif554.JPG

Sums it up nicely Kevin !

Mr. J.Obswurth

Borough Surveyor

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif554.JPG

A down pipe would be difficult to fit for this overhanging extension, the pipe run would have to go back to the main building and meet one of the existing down pipes. I can understand the Parish Council’s concern about the ugly array of plumbing needed, and this may be one of the earliest examples of the ‘ listing’ of buildings of architectural merit! Perhaps you should consult the miniature surveyor on site!!

I think it's a wheelwright's place.  A loft for storing timber, the long shed for fitting - although I can't see any doors where carts could be brought in.  The chimney is probably for the forge, where the iron tyres and other metal fittings could be made.  Of course, I'm probably on completely the wrong tack :scratchhead:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The carts might go in on the side not visible!  Nice piece of deductive thinking; of course an older building of this sort may have started out it's life serving a different purpose and been altered.  It looks just right in that corner of what is already a very good scene, whatever it is!