RMweb

Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, KNP said:

Waiting for the line to clear.....

4032.jpg.2e832d0188bc1d5dbce54f4fa18eba96.jpg

You just hear the blowers cracked open and the safety valves are  sizzling at 180 psi, the firehole door will be open and the fireman's side injector singing away, the regulator stuffing gland dribbling slightly with the drip  sizzling down and instantly evaporating on the blackhead, the Billy can will be full of tea .. The birds chirping are away in the hedge, God's in his heaven and all's right with the world  ...  Ahh! summer.

The signal wire will rattle and the board will drop with a clang, the injector will get slammed shut and the firehole doors closed.

The reverser put in reverse and the regulator cracked open, with that familiar pop the snifter valves will shut and she's off.. all in a day's work

45xx best engines ever

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

14 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Err... not yet.

That excellent doll's house you've just build needs some furniture added first.

Oh come on, if its for a school class can't the other parents and grandparents chip(py) in?

Kevin has other urgent calls on his time:- after the sleepers, I know of at least two other projects awaiting his attention, although admittedly one won't get to him until at least Wednesday!

Plus, of course, we all need our daily fix of Little Muddle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KNP said:

Work has slowed on the sleeper wagon.

Two reasons

Firstly with load added I have painted it and was about to add the chains when I sat back and thought

'Have I got the sleepers the right colour?' ...... so it has been parked for a while until I clarify it.

4033.JPG.20df392d8205209c8253f230fba83de8.JPG

and secondly....

I have been building 0 gauge.....!

Oh no! Start of the slippery slope :rolleyes: 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, KNP said:

Work has slowed on the sleeper wagon.

Two reasons

Firstly with load added I have painted it and was about to add the chains when I sat back and thought

'Have I got the sleepers the right colour?' ...... so it has been parked for a while until I clarify it.

4033.JPG.20df392d8205209c8253f230fba83de8.JPG

and secondly....

I have been building 0 gauge.....!

Don't worry intrepid reader Little Muddle is not about to become Big Muddle.

Rather I was asked if I could build a Tudor house for my youngest (7) granddaughters class, Taylor is learning about them but they only have pictures......

So Grandad to the rescue and using Purple Bob's Hobbies card kit of one I have just finished this

1983513241_P1160636(2).JPG.fd08e7fe0fd9878f159525611be024b7.JPG

1194053204_P1160639(2).JPG.7a2d0e217d8d2dc25c0b93c1e5072d85.JPG

A few things to tidy like the corners but how long will it stay like this....!

This is, I believe, meant to be a half relief model but I used that and as it had internal detail I have altered and tweaked it a little so you can peer it around the back and have a look in...

375022800_P1160637(2).JPG.40b4fd3fa019dccb42669a622fc07a5e.JPG

Each of those floor beams are folded card, 12 of them, patience was a virtue during their construction.

These pictures make the dark brown felt tip on the corners look very purple.......I can assure you in the flesh its not that bad.......honest!

Now back to my sleeper and their colours! 

I would add a touch of rusting to the chairs Kevin we as if they’ve been in use and have been lifted and are now being taken away.

if the load is intended to be new sleepers then I’m not sure that the chairs would already be installed. 

Brian

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

I would add a touch of rusting to the chairs Kevin we as if they’ve been in use and have been lifted and are now being taken away.

if the load is intended to be new sleepers then I’m not sure that the chairs would already be installed. 

Brian

I'm not sure about the practices of the Generally Wet and Rusty but some other companies certainly shipped new sleepers complete with chairs, chairs having been fitted after creosoting.  The chairs would probably have been rusty whether they were new or old. Did they paint individual chairs at that time?

Cheers

Dave (who for his sins has had to 3D print chair and sleeper stacks for the club layout that is based around a sleeper works)

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

GWR shipped from their works chaired sleepers for transportation on T12 sleeper wagons like my model.

They would be newly creosoted so very dark which is what is causing me issues as these should be fresh from the yard not looking like old lifted ones.

I expect I need to re-visit them with another black wash…….or two!!!!

Might park and get on with the bogie wagon loaded with some rails.

Won this on flea bay and it turned out I had brought it off a follower of this thread!

Small world.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

The GW creosote works was at Hayes. The sleepers were put into large pressure vessels and the creosote was put in under pressure for several hours, ISTR that there was an article in the GWJ on the place and the process.

That'll give him ideas that will. I can just see him filling the pressure cooker up with creosote, scale sleepers and then leaving it own the hob for a couple of hours. Wouldn't like to see the mem sahibs face though when she finds it.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

Interesting how the monochrome version minimises the clouds but maximises the output from the 45xx chimney?

Or have you been playing with the filters again Kevin?

Generally I tend to prefer Colour to Monochrome, but these two shots have both got advantages! - So I declare it a dead heat.

Keep up the good work,

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Interesting how the monochrome version minimises the clouds but maximises the output from the 45xx chimney?

Or have you been playing with the filters again Kevin?

Generally I tend to prefer Colour to Monochrome, but these two shots have both got advantages! - So I declare it a dead heat.

Keep up the good work,

Cheers

Paul

Thanks

Only smoke in the monochrome version......forgot it on the colour one!!!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

I may have mentioned this before in which case I apologise but in that first photo the terrace houses just don't seem to be right. I can't quite put my finger on it. Could be the height at which the photo has been taken or perhaps the angle but they just don't appear to be receding correctly.

Can anybody else see what I'm saying or is it just me.

Sorry Kevin but other than that I think the photos look fine.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2